Louisiana's Next Govenor

eastover neworleans

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, the main reason for Blanco winning in '03 was the fact that alot of votes went against Jindal because he's Indian; most of those votes coming from north Louisiana. Of course you also had tons of women statewide voting for Blanco just because she was a woman, no matter what she stood for.

About Breaux, it will certainly be interesting to see how his candidacy unfolds. From the looks of it, he's not legally able to run, but you know we'll just have to wait and see. It doesn't matter for me, Jindal gets my vote no matter who steps up to run against him, it's just nice to know that Blanco won't be there next year, no matter if Jindal wins or loses. I'd take my lawnmower as governor before I took Blanco again.

I just wonder if anyone's been able to prove that many north Louisiana voters were opposed to Jindal because he's Indian. I'm not sure I buy into that. I believe he was opposed by many in north Louisiana because they simply didn't know much about him, as his constituency is in south Louisiana.

I voted for him, and most everyone I know says they did as well; but I still doubt people in north Louisiana were opposed to him because of his skin color. Most cities and small towns in north Louisiana have black mayors, so why would people up here be opposed to someone else with dark skin?

No one is going to openly admit that they were opposed to Jindal over his skin color, so to say that this happened is nothing more than speculation. I still believe it's based on his constituency being in south Louisiana, and most north Louisiana voters didn't know enough about him.

I believe the next Louisiana gubernatorial election will prove what I'm saying... now that the entire state has heard of him and is familiar with him, I believe he has a decent chance of winning.

^ FYI... the reason my post above was so defensive, is because it SICKENS me to think that ANYONE would vote against someone just because of his skin color. And it sickens me even more to think that my region of the state might have been the most guilty of all. This is why, while it is all speculation, I hope there's no truth to the rumor.

Oh yea, New Orleans certainly voted for Blanco. This city has been a democrat's haven for many decades now. However, the "north Louisiana" thing is someting I've heard about and read about constantly since Blanco was elected. I'll try to find some actual text, but that theory, rumor, whatever, has spread around South Louisiana like wildfire it seems. Everyone I know in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and even over in Lake Charles has heard about it at some point, no matter what their political views.

Oh yea, New Orleans certainly voted for Blanco. This city has been a democrat's haven for many decades now. However, the "north Louisiana" thing is someting I've heard about and read about constantly since Blanco was elected. I'll try to find some actual text, but that theory, rumor, whatever, has spread around South Louisiana like wildfire it seems. Everyone I know in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and even over in Lake Charles has heard about it at some point, no matter what their political views.

I think a Breaux/Jindal race would be a win/win situation for Louisiana. They may have different styles and platforms but I think both of them would step up to the plate and get business done. And both of them genuinely have Louisiana's best interest in mind. Both men stand up for what they believe and what their constituents want even if it doesn't always fall along party lines. And both of them seem to really care what their PEOPLE want, not just fellow politicians, corporations and special interest groups.

We need someone who will do more than clean house, we need someone that can change the political culture of this state. Someone who could get to Baton Rouge and really do what needs to be done to get this state back to the front of the pack. That's why I will vote for Jindal; it's not that I think Breaux would do a bad job, quite the contrary, but I just think Jindal is the new spark that we need. Living in his district, I've seen him speak many times, and the man just urgently wants to get this state back up and moving. He's not the type of guy that will sit back and just point fingers,(Blanco) he will take charge and do what needs to be done.

I hate to use a football analogy, but I honestly think this one works perfectly. The New Orleans Saints, a loser franchise throughout the great majority of their 40 year existence, especially recently. No one expected them to do anything, and even some of the players themselves simply didn't care anymore. In comes Sean Payton, who tells the team from day one that he will change everything to make it a winning franchise once again, and that if they don't like it, they can leave. Players that don't fit because of laziness, attitude and work ethic issues, etc. are cut immediately, and at the start of the season, the team is filled with a group of guys that want to win. You guys all know what happened with the Saints, and that's what we need in Louisiana. Someone who will come in, kick the cancerous leaders out, change what needs to be changed, and build upon what works. We need someone who will get the people of this state focused on winning and succes, not mediocrity. No more Louisianians saying "well, at least we're ahead of Mississippi!" when the national state growth rankings, business rankings, quality of life rankings, whatever, are released. We need everyone in this state expecting growth and success, not dreaming of it.

Do I think Bobby Jindal is going to single handedly accomplish all of this? Of course not. But I do think he can be the one that starts it, and that's where we find ourselves right now, just waiting for someone to do something!!!

Plenty of state workers will continue to vote Blanco simply to keep their jobs.

Politics in Louisiana just need (should) to take a look at the Saints and see what new leadership did for them. I think it's safe to say the Saints would not have enjoyed the success this season making the playoffs if Aaron Brooks and Jim Haslett was still there. Just more disappiontment.

Jindal is a genius IMO.

We need someone who will do more than clean house, we need someone that can change the political culture of this state. Someone who could get to Baton Rouge and really do what needs to be done to get this state back to the front of the pack. That's why I will vote for Jindal; it's not that I think Breaux would do a bad job, quite the contrary, but I just think Jindal is the new spark that we need. Living in his district, I've seen him speak many times, and the man just urgently wants to get this state back up and moving. He's not the type of guy that will sit back and just point fingers,(Blanco) he will take charge and do what needs to be done.

I hate to use a football analogy, but I honestly think this one works perfectly. The New Orleans Saints, a loser franchise throughout the great majority of their 40 year existence, especially recently. No one expected them to do anything, and even some of the players themselves simply didn't care anymore. In comes Sean Payton, who tells the team from day one that he will change everything to make it a winning franchise once again, and that if they don't like it, they can leave. Players that don't fit because of laziness, attitude and work ethic issues, etc. are cut immediately, and at the start of the season, the team is filled with a group of guys that want to win. You guys all know what happened with the Saints, and that's what we need in Louisiana. Someone who will come in, kick the cancerous leaders out, change what needs to be changed, and build upon what works. We need someone who will get the people of this state focused on winning and succes, not mediocrity. No more Louisianians saying "well, at least we're ahead of Mississippi!" when the national state growth rankings, business rankings, quality of life rankings, whatever, are released. We need everyone in this state expecting growth and success, not dreaming of it.

Do I think Bobby Jindal is going to single handedly accomplish all of this? Of course not. But I do think he can be the one that starts it, and that's where we find ourselves right now, just waiting for someone to do something!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some major news...

Breaux says he won't run for governor

News from the Times-Picayune

Former U.S. Sen. John Breaux said Friday that he will not be a candidate for governor this year.

Breaux made the announcement just hours after Attorney General Charles Foti declined to issue a legal opinion on Breaux's qualifications to run. A spokeswoman for Breaux said the lack of a definitive ruling persuaded him to back away from a campaign he has flirted with for weeks.

• 1 month later...

Great leaders thrive in times of crisis. These tough situations can bring out the best and the worst; and Louisiana needs the best!!! There is also no doubt we need leaders with integrity, courage, wisdom and intellect.

Listen to what Bobby Jindal "the wonderkid" has accomplished at such a young age!

*Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals at age-23

*President of the Louisiana Board of Colleges and Universities at age-26

*Executive Director of Bipartisan Commission on Medicare at age-30

*President of Freshman Class in Congress at age-33

Not sure of his age now?? 36?

He has the best chance to change the direction of this State IMO. No one person can turn it around by themself, he needs a good team around him. Pete Maravich was the best college basketball player of all time while at LSU, but he never lead them to the playoffs because his team wasn't strong enough.

• 1 month later...

I'm democrat, but I like jindal.

I think whats important right now for louisiana is some one with new ideas, and get er done attitude,

And some one who who is likely to follow through.

Jindal is a good candidate for that!

i wonder who will actually run against him

Cajun - Yes, I heard on the news last week that Sammy Kershaw would run for Lt. Governor. Besides the fact that he's got some amazingly beautiful songs that I've loved for many years, I know nothing about him. I need to study up on his politics, because I want to like him. :)

BRPJ - Back during Jindal's last campaign he had so many Democrats in favor of him that he had a bumper sticker/ad campaign created called "Proud to be a Bobbycrat." I actually used to have one of those stickers. Not a Democrat but I thought it was funny. :) If you're into campaign signage you might want to contact his campaign to see if they still have any 'Bobbycrat' advertising material you could use.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived