When do you think the population of Baltimore-Washington metro will pass 10 million?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Census figure shows DC area population increase slowing.

The galloping growth of Washington's outer Virginia suburbs is slowing at last, according to Census Bureau estimates to be released today, with high housing costs beginning to dull the appeal of counties that have long been a magnet for newcomers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7032102712.html

I can't say I am totally surprised by this report. I had noticed over the last year more and more of my friends and acquaintances leaving the area for a slower pace of life and lower housing cost. It seems their favorite destinations are Ft. Lauderdale, Austin, Atlanta and Charlotte. The cost of living in this area is beginning to cool off the population increase. One example of someone I know who wants to move to DC from Pittsburgh is staying put because of the cost of living and the areas notorious traffic. Do any of you believe the census figures and have any of you living in the DC area noticed a slight trend away from staying here and moving here in recent months?

I don't think that it's really a bad thing which is how many are reacting. There are still job shortages in some industries in the area, in the meantime, home prices will go down and hopefully we catch up in areas that we've been behind in like infrastructure. Hopefully prices go down, and since there are still jobs available, people will move here.

Call me an ostrich, but I actually think that slowing the growth in the area might be a good thing. Let's slow down the creep of sprawl. Let's allow the city to catch up with the remarkable growth spurt it has enjoyed during the real estate boom. Growth is great, but so is maintaining what you have already got. If this area grows too much, we will be in crisis before we know it. The suburbs need to gain the advantages of urban infrastructure before the are can grow much more. I, for one, don't want to see more condos/McMansions spreading out to the Eastern Shore. Take stock before calling for too much growth.

Archived