New Urbanism

mercurypa

There was a great article in the PG about the New Urbanists settling in Pittsburgh. I think this is an amazing enlightened concept. The city of Pittsburgh is a prime candidate for its ideals and is already on the way to becoming a new urbanist destination. There is a great website that explains these concepts and gives many examples of new urbanism in action. I think that the South Side Works should be listed on the site.

The article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06296/732249-53.stm

New urbanism:

http://www.newurbanism.org/newurbanism.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Side Works is really not "New Urbanist" in the sense that the Congress on New Urbanism thinks. I have a major problem with that group because they never create a distinction between greenfield and urban infill projects (like summerset at frick).

Anyways, the PG did a very bad job of showing a distinction between "New Urbanists", people and developers who subscribe to the rigid development standards and community building attempts by the CNU and Neo Urbanites (my own term), those who are moving/moving back to an urban setting regardless of if it is a master planned community (such as Washington

South Side Works is really not "New Urbanist" in the sense that the Congress on New Urbanism thinks. I have a major problem with that group because they never create a distinction between greenfield and urban infill projects (like summerset at frick).

I would still count the Works as a New Urbanist type of development since it is self sustaining. Housing, retail, and work space all in one. It just needs a grocery store to be truly self sustaining. I think Trader Joe's should have opened on the South Side, but Ill take it so close to my home in Highland Park. I think the tax incentives were too good in East Liberty, but I would look for another city location if this one takes off.

In my view, New Urbanist communities are NOT self sustaining. I'll take I'On in South Carolina as an example...along with Celebration, it is one of the most recognized examples of New Urbanism.

There is no public transportation to Downtown Charleston

The small retail in the "town center" they tried has not panned out

It is still "Greenfield Development" in a rapidly sprawling Mt. Pleasant area

South Side Works embodies a totally different planning concept..."New Town Centers" New Urbanism is supposed to replicate the street care communities of the early 1900's not the main streets and town squares that came with them. That is where SSW comes in.

Archived