Stockard: Building new library faces some hurdles

dfwtiger

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the artical tiger. I believe that the library should remain downtown. Murfreesboro has had this problem of underbuilding in the past to try save money. I go to the library downtown and I can tell you it's more than dated. I think they should expand the library into the wasteful attempt at greenspace in front of the Am South Bank. I do like the idea of having branches in the area, but 8 possibly in the next fourteen years aint gonna get it. The way Lavergne and Smyrna are growing they each need two (and yes I'm aware Lavergne has its own library system). Murfreesboro needs about ten right now. I'd spread em out like this, one near Siegel, one near Blackman, one off Florence near Old Nashville Highway, one near campus off Halls Hill Pike, one on Wilkinson Pike/Gateway Area, one in the Barfield Area, one off Manchester Highway, one off New Salem/Middle Tennessee Boulevard exit, one off the future Cherry Lane exit, and ofcourse the main library to be tripled in size downtown.

Thanks for the artical tiger. I believe that the library should remain downtown. Murfreesboro has had this problem of underbuilding in the past to try save money. I go to the library downtown and I can tell you it's more than dated. I think they should expand the library into the wasteful attempt at greenspace in front of the Am South Bank. I do like the idea of having branches in the area, but 8 possibly in the next fourteen years aint gonna get it. The way Lavergne and Smyrna are growing they each need two (and yes I'm aware Lavergne has its own library system). Murfreesboro needs about ten right now. I'd spread em out like this, one near Siegel, one near Blackman, one off Florence near Old Nashville Highway, one near campus off Halls Hill Pike, one on Wilkinson Pike/Gateway Area, one in the Barfield Area, one off Manchester Highway, one off New Salem/Middle Tennessee Boulevard exit, one off the future Cherry Lane exit, and ofcourse the main library to be tripled in size downtown.

RIGHT ON......that is the worst park I've seen in years. That is an important and the park/plaza does little to frame the corner. You should suggest this as the location. Does anytone have a picture of this terrible space?

• 1 month later...

Well, the library was in dire need of a face lift, which it did receive. The good news is that the carpet is no longer stained, worn or ripped, and the walls aren't dirty. The bad news is that 1991 called and said it wanted it's color scheme back. There was obviously no thought put into this renovation. They slapped some white paint on the walls and some ugly blue and burgundy carpet on the floors and called it finished. I would like to have seen them do something very tasty and artistic. It's possible to do that only cosmetically, without much money. Even the LaVergne Library has a great interior. But oh well.