Demonbreun Viaduct

ATLBrain

OK... so I've never seen a picture of this bridge. I mean a full-view shot. One thing I'm curious about is if the designers and planners had enough foresight to build steps from the overpass to the sidewalk of the street below (11th Ave??). Everything I've seen in pics has shown just the detail of the posts. In addition to the steps, has traffic capacity been increased? Or is this viaduct just the old one rebuilt with choo-choo trains?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS05/610240347

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... so I've never seen a picture of this bridge. I mean a full-view shot. One thing I'm curious about is if the designers and planners had enough foresight to build steps from the overpass to the sidewalk of the street below (11th Ave??). Everything I've seen in pics has shown just the detail of the posts. In addition to the steps, has traffic capacity been increased? Or is this viaduct just the old one rebuilt with choo-choo trains?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...EWS05/610240347

There are no steps yet. There is talk that the viaduct will become more of a "street" than a bridge in the future with Gulch buildings built to the bridge with access. I'm sure that would include public access as well. Capacity seems the same which I agree with. There is a center lane and outside bike lanes. It fits within the future Gulch context quite well imo. Steps can come later. Right now, they would probably be used more as a Porta-Potty for the wanderers.

Don't have much to add on the bridge, other than it is the same # lanes as before. But, I don't think it was ever a significant traffic bottleneck.

I was looking for a place to show this Gulch diagram, however:

AGulch2.jpg

It shows the relationship of the bridge to some of the proposed projects, including:

> The Icon - 22 story condo under construction

> Terrazo - 14 story upscale condo, construction imminent

> The Velocity - a large, 6 to 8 story mid rise development with affordable apartments

> The Sliver Bldg - a rumored 16 story condo on a narrow lot (hence the knickname, Sliver)

> The Rhythm - 14 story mixed use, mostly condo, on Demonbreum, construction imminent?

> The rumored W Hotel

> And of course, the new bridge

There are already some loft apartments and condos, some unique, live music venues and some of the fanciest restaurants in town. It is becoming the 'coolest' neighborhood in town. You could run into Nicole Kidman, Cameron Diaz, Pamela Anderson or many other celebs down there.

Picture updated per following comments! \/ \/

Great diagram of projects slated for the gulch, locations and relative size, PH. And great photos of the Demumbreum St bridge, Southside J. When does the bridge open for traffic? Very soon, I believe. Also, that bridge really should have steps down to 12th Ave.

Just imagine the 7 or 8 cranes that could be rising from the area of the diagram in the relatively near future. What a sight that will be!

The bridge opens tomorrow around 8, after the ribbon cutting, speeches, and concert. It looks ready, all sparkly and clean with the banners up. It'll be like old times using that bridge, but the Gulch sure is looking different. Can't wait for your next visit Hank. Lots of stuff rising out of the ground now. Pretty cool.

A little bird told several of us when visiting the Terrazzo model at the L&C tower. There was an article in the paper quite a while ago about the purchase of the property and Gateway Partners, which I think is the name of the entity. As for anything else, we have to go off of, the off the record comments made by a few people in the know.

Hmm...it's a touch more plain than I was hoping for, but I like it. Does anyone have some shots of the actual surface of the bridge? I REALLY hope that they put some actual usable sidewalks on it this time. I tried one time and ONLY one time walking from SoBro to Music Row over the old bridge and it was a little scary because there was literally nothing separating you from the car traffic.

Archived