SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

.........I'm listening :)

Trump Charlotte. Ha! I wish. That parcel already got bought and it's going to be an office tower and an apartment tower according to CBJ several months ago.

Skye House will be a great addition. Especially when Levine gets rolling. I'm sure Courtside is ready...

Well, if demand gets to the point that we expect in the future, I doubt a developer will have a problem purchasing the parcel off the owner.  Money talks.  I give that place 10 years.

The land is owned by the Broyhill family, and the building by another entity with a 99 year lease that was significant in the early 90's.

• 4 weeks later...

Bids for SkyHouse Charlotte go out February 22nd with actual construction starting in May. 24 floors (mechanical mezzanine on top) with 336 units and detached six level parking garage with 458 spaces. The building (not including the mechanical mezzanine) will be 255 feet tall. Batson Cook Company is the main general contractor. Address is W 10th Street at N Church Street. Roof will have pool, pool deck, bar area, fitness room, amenity deck, club room, yoga/pilates room, and restrooms. Retail space will be provided on the north and west side of the building while the lobby will be on the southeast side.

SkyHouse Charlotte is designed exactly like this one in Orlando: http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/9/5/new_high_rise_apartm.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

That is great news.  North Tryon really was bypassed in the Bush Bubble, as all the projects with potential were too late to get built.   I live a few blocks from this and will be very happy to see it built.  Novare has a style, so we all sort of feel like we've seen it all before, but it is a very attractive style, and for all of the discussions of Novare building on the cheap, Catalyst and Avenue both are very good places to live from what I have seen first hand.   These are popping up in tons of cities right now with virtually the exact same design (Austin, Raleigh, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.)   Given the economic environment and the fact that it is delivering a high rise apartment of decent quality, it is not a big complaint, just something unusual.

I guess it makes sense now thinking of it that they'd have room for a deck in between the future office and the Skyhouse.  At 255' tall, it will be midway between the heights of the adjacent towers, 525 N Tryon (Odell) which is 330' and Edwin Towers which is 172'.  It is a decent step up from Historic 4th Ward from Edwin Towers, and a decent step down from Odell for the Tryon skyline.  

I am beyond ecstatic to hear that they are including retail space like they did with Avenue.  There are a lot of people in 4th Ward, but there is not a lot of [non-homeless] pedestrian momentum of those residents toward this area because there are not a lot of destinations.   With a critical mass of residents within the denser residential a few blocks from this, hopefully something can pop up. I suspect, too, that there would be some opportunity for people going to events at NCDT and the McColl Center to stop in if it were a bar/restaurant.   

I am unclear of the lobby that would go on the southeast unless this project is now taking up the entire parcel of land, reserving no future space for an office tower.  

Also, I would assume that there are no deals with the city to widen the 10th St right of way, but hopefully the city will still do some reasonable work to allow 10th St traffic to continue east to Tryon across Church.   It is a relic of an old urban plan to keep traffic off Tryon, but at this point it is a major connectivity pain.  Certainly the neighborhood would give up some of the landscaped median if it meant that connection would be reinstated.  

There will be a road built between the building and garage. The lobby will be located along this road within the southeast side of the building where the canopy walkway will be. Here are two site plans of the project to show a better understanding of this:

90d1e4bc2ae5c8e2bd7bd23c1469ba45_zps296e

***Bottom part is north and upper part is south for image below***

fa2032ade2729b21de4866f6538826cd_zps7657

Edited by gman430

That helps immensely!

I had assumed it would be oriented parallel to Church rather than 10th, so that helps.  The alleyway road is similar to what they did at Catalyst, and seems to be working fine.  It'll obviously help to keep some utility type functions off the main street.  

Does both the deck AND the residential tower have retail on Church?  I see in the close up the retail on 10th, but I can't make out the what the westernmost section is on the deck, but I am pretty sure it is retail.   I notice they have retail on the street side of the detached parking decks for both Atlanta and Orlando Skyhouses, so it makes sense that is the case here also.  

I am really hopeful that they can attract a tenant for the office component, now that I see that they have retained the land in the parcel for the development.   At a 150-350ksf range, it would not be a majorly substantial tower (Ally Center is 364ksf), unfortunately, but in an era of lower expectations, it is actually a decent size to complement Skyhouse.  The residential will be nice, but I do hope that more office development comes to help drive more growth on N Tryon.  

:thumbsup: 75% of the apartment building and ALL of the garage facing towards North Church Street will have retail space on the ground floor. Only section that won't have retail space along North Church Street is the southwest side of the apartment building next to the future alleyway road. That area will be home to the generator room. Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Perhaps it is silly, but I just love how Novare does some important things right, even though they do a lot of things for cost savings. I don't care if this is a replica repeated in other cities if we have a quality project that people want to live in, and we get decent urban and architectural design.   

How long did Pete Verna work on his dream of a tower with a roof top pool, and here Novare just jumps in a starts construction on a project as tall as The Park with a pool and 'sky house' on the roof.   

Of course, there is a risk that it will only be a convenience store (hopefully not, we have way too may around 4th Ward) or dry cleaner.  There is also a chance that the retail would sit empty like some of the First Ward retail spots, but given the density of 4th Ward, just building it will mean at some point a business can get up and running and this part of the neighborhood more lively.

http://ldiline.com/select_files.cfm?proj=177810

All the construction docs are here.

Building is 272' to the top of the mechanical level.

Material wise, the majority of the building is exposed concrete (like Avenue, not like Catalyst) and glass, with the only 3-coat stucco used in the recessed balcony areas off each unit and at the "crown/mechanical" exterior at the top.

Ground level appears to be "architectural pre-cast concrete". 

I'm very excited.  Great density, decent height, plenty of retail space, and if they had to do a detached garage (that i've since learned all of the Skyhouse actual buildings are exactly identical to save on design/engineering/construction costs) then the way they arranged the site makes the most sense.  I would like it if they would put a brick-facade on the parking deck to make it a little more blending with 4th Ward, but the ground level retail fully down the Church St front should help immensley.

I'd also like to think that the success that Bissell has had in building large spec buildings in Ballantyne and filling them would give some equity/debt lenders confidence to lend on a completely spec tower in Uptown, and this site is perfect for probably a 250k-400k sq ft tower.  I think we see that when there are space choices, companies entering the market prefer uptown, and more often than not defer to B-Tyne when there aren't large enough blocks of space available.

General impression is the Charlotte would/will see more financial services companies putting middle/back office operations in Charlotte as a cost cutting measure and we definitely don't have the available space to accomodate the likely demand, which may mean we lose out on a number of deals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has construction started yet??  The same building was announced for downtown Raleigh and approved by Planning Commission / City Council in June 2012 but no construction has started here yet.

Based on what I've seen from Novare, Raleigh is a laggard. Just about everywhere else they announce, break ground and top out in little over a year.

Has construction started yet??  The same building was announced for downtown Raleigh and approved by Planning Commission / City Council in June 2012 but no construction has started here yet.

That doesn't seem to bode well for the project in Raleigh...wonder what it might mean in Charlotte?

Last I heard construction on the Charlotte tower is supposed to start in May. Bids for some of the site work have already gone out.