SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

That would be great if Grubb can somehow replicate the lower cost apartment highrise process that Novare seems to have in their back pocket. However, I really hope we don't just get clones of the same building just a mile or two apart, even if they paint it red.

Sky house appears to be a genius way of building a quality apartment high rise while saving engineering and design costs. But hopefully there is some way of substantially changing the appearance enough if they're going to do a second tower.

That would be great if Grubb can somehow replicate the lower cost apartment highrise process that Novare seems to have in their back pocket. However, I really hope we don't just get clones of the same building just a mile or two apart, even if they paint it red.

Sky house appears to be a genius way of building a quality apartment high rise while saving engineering and design costs. But hopefully there is some way of substantially changing the appearance enough if they're going to do a second tower.

I can't imagine they'd put a 20+ story high rise in Elizabeth. I know nothing so of course I could be wrong, but I think a high rise would look really strange in Elizabeth.

I can't imagine they'd put a 20+ story high rise in Elizabeth. I know nothing so of course I could be wrong, but I think a high rise would look really strange in Elizabeth.

elizabeth_1.jpg

But yet this was planned in 2007 and almost got off the ground.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbhwGaogyPQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXbhwGaogyPQ

Got this from SkyscraperCity Atlanta forum.  It's SkyHouse in Midtown and the video does a good job of showing all of the retail spots in the garage.  I know ours has the same retail spots in the garage, so is the Midtown Atlanta set-up exactly how ours is?

Try this link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to this a re submission of MEPs is required for permitting.  But that was back in June. 

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/WebStatMap/PosseStatMapTables.aspx?PrjNbr=332332

i don't know what to make of this...Shouldn't take 2 months to throw together some addendum drawings and get them resubmitted.  If you click "See all StatMap Notes' you can read all the comments by the plan reviewer. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong? But I think the Raleigh Skyhouse was riddled with delays. This compounded with the fact that the same crew goes from site to site for ground breaking. I'd think its just a hold up caused by poor planning and unexpected delays. At least that's what I'm hoping. It would be a great project that I'm sure would work well here.

Absolutely - that's the whole point of Skyhouse.

Most Skyhouses have included new parking decks; the big reason the Raleigh one is so delayed is that it is going to use spaces in an already existing deck, and the negotiations with the city over the parking have been slow.

I saw last week that Skyhouse will now have a Dallas apartment tower now too... Tampa is (or was) also waiting on approval from city council. Seems like these are really popping up everywhere. Not sure if these new announcements have much to do with the delays here though.

I guess Grubb is scrapping the plan for an office tower at this location in favor of a second residential tower... Newest Project description of this site is as follows...

Skyhouse Charlotte
Development of 640 multifamily units in 2 buildings with a single structured parking garage. Development will occur in 2 phases. Access will be provided off Tryon, 10th and Church

Since the original Skyhouse is approved and ready to go, I have a hard time thinking they're going to scrape it and redesign the whole plan, which would require all new construction drawings and a lot of time and money. Given that the approved plans include an 8-story parking garage for the 320 units, I also have a hard time believing that they'll just add additional levels to accommodate the second 320 units. More than likely they'll expand the width of the garage, which leads me to believe that they're including the adjacent Days Inn site for the second tower which will just mirror the first tower along 9th & Church with the garage in the middle. This will still leave the pad on the Tryon frontage for a possible office tower, and there's still the Publix rumor floating out there for the site as well. 

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 1

Since the original Skyhouse is approved and ready to go, I have a hard time thinking they're going to scrape it and redesign the whole plan, which would require all new construction drawings and a lot of time and money. Given that the approved plans include an 8-story parking garage for the 320 units, I also have a hard time believing that they'll just add additional levels to accommodate the second 320 units. More than likely they'll expand the width of the garage, which leads me to believe that they're including the adjacent Days Inn site for the second tower which will just mirror the first tower along 9th & Church with the garage in the middle. This will still leave the pad on the Tryon frontage for a possible office tower, and there's still the Publix rumor floating out there for the site as well. 

I had been trying to figure this out in my head, and had come to a similar conclusion. I just couldn't get my head around how they would fit 640 units worth of parking on the site, expanding the site to include Days Inn makes the most sense. So Hopefully we eventually see 640 units, 300k of office and 80-100k of retail including a 50k sq foot publix. Now THAT would be a transformative project.

Edited by Guest

I did hear that Publix was trying to figure out a site uptown that was complicated and had a lot of moving parts, but if they could pull it off, it would be their crown jewel, much more so than the South End location. This would fit that description, but I'm interested to see what exactly they mean by crown jewel. 

I did hear that Publix was trying to figure out a site uptown that was complicated and had a lot of moving parts, but if they could pull it off, it would be their crown jewel, much more so than the South End location. This would fit that description, but I'm interested to see what exactly they mean by crown jewel. 

So something like this would make sense. It'd be like the Ally Bank, Catalyst, Mint St Apartments Complex.

post-17104-0-41323200-1377446889_thumb.j

Edited by Guest