SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

"The group  announced its plans for the project last year, and this week, a company managed by Novare president Jim Borderspurchased a 1.3-acre site at the southeast corner of that intersection for $5.5 million."

I totally thought this 1.3-acre site was the Days Inn, but I see now that is the sub-divided Renaissance Place lot.   I am SO happy this is moving forward.  As a neighbor to this project, it has been really overdue for 4th Ward and North Tryon to get some new development and density, as well as some project momentum since 3rd Ward has been a vacuum for new investment with all the public projects there.  

The height of the building is about the halfway mark between the height of Edwin Towers and the height of 525 N Tryon ("O'dell") for reference.   I still love the design of the building and absolutely love the street retail which will hopefully spur 4th Warders, along with the 9th Street Lynx station to head toward North Tryon rather than going diagonally through the neighborhood towards The Square.  That shift in activity will help the Palamino/Deltas location in 525  N Tryon which struggles due to lack of foot traffic.  

I still hope that residential project causes some interest in office project as well, as job growth in the area will be the key for success.

I really hope this starts a trend of development north of Trade.  That area needs some TLC badly.

Its funny how things happen in cycles. When i first moved here in '95 it was N Tryon that had all the momentum and development going for it. S Tryon had pretty much nothing. Now it has flipped

• Like 1

just wanted to mention that there is small construction equipment on-site today at Skyhouse.  I noticed a small dozer and 2 trucks with trailers and gear, but they were active even in the rain, so I put that in the plus column!  Not much of an update, but at least it has started.  :P

• Like 1

just wanted to mention that there is small construction equipment on-site today at Skyhouse.  I noticed a small dozer and 2 trucks with trailers and gear, but they were active even in the rain, so I put that in the plus column!  Not much of an update, but at least it has started.   :P

And MazzoMedia has no photographic proof of this? Highly disappointed!  :w00t:

• Like 1

just wanted to mention that there is small construction equipment on-site today at Skyhouse.  I noticed a small dozer and 2 trucks with trailers and gear, but they were active even in the rain, so I put that in the plus column!  Not much of an update, but at least it has started.   :P

Batson-Cook (the general contractor firm) pick-up truck on site this morning along with the mentioned small dozer and trailer of equipment.  I guess we can say they are definitely moving toward a ground breaking. 

Ricky Davis Fan, probably good for you that we didn't bet on whether or not Levine's apartments would go up before Novare. :-)

Lol, our bet was on crescent/Portman happening b4 Levine, I knew skyhouse was going to happen soon.

I got a ritzy bottle of Petit Verdot with "Miesian Corners" written on the post it affixed to it if a Levine project doesn't start by 3rd Qtr 2014. If that doesn't suit your fancy, you already know of my affinity for fine bourbon.

We can tentatively schedule a party to celebrate the ground breaking of Levine's apartments in 2034.  That is the year Levine will be eligible for social security and will hopefully like to retire from his illustrious career in asphalt parking lot ownership. 

• Like 3

We can tentatively schedule a party to celebrate the ground breaking of Levine's apartments in 2034.  That is the year Levine will be eligible for social security and will hopefully like to retire from his illustrious career in asphalt parking lot ownership. 

With all due respect, and yes I realize Levine is the king of this kind of crap, but you don't contract out a General Contractor of  Batson-Cooks caliber without planning on delivering soon. People I know in the GC world agree, that we will actually see movement on the apartments in the next quarter or two.

With all due respect, and yes I realize Levine is the king of this kind of crap, but you don't contract out a General Contractor of  Batson-Cooks caliber without planning on delivering soon. People I know in the GC world agree, that we will actually see movement on the apartments in the next quarter or two.

I didn't realize he was contracting with Batson Cooke on Levine 1st ward?  

I hope the parking garage isnt horrible and has plenty of retail. Does anyone have a layout of where the garage & Skyhouse are situated on the lot?

I hope this wasnt the finished product of Atlanta's skyhouse parking deck :o

http://themidtownarchive.tumblr.com/post/28297044268/the-new-parking-deck-for-novares-skyhouse

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Here is the church street side. 

Unfortunately the other sides will be just as bad as atlanta. 

post-17104-0-72389700-1394075461_thumb.p

post-17104-0-63201800-1394075576_thumb.p

This side will eventually be covered up by another building along north tryon.

Interestingly the majority of retail is on 10th, doomed to stay empty.

post-17104-0-41057600-1394075642_thumb.p

Edited by Guest

I just want to make sure I have the layout of this right....So the Parking garage will back up to 11th street? So that big lot behind the Days Inn and bordered by Church, Tyron and 10th will remain just a big empty lot?

Or is it that this will go in that lot and the garage backs up to the Days Inn??

Also, Tryon will obviously have more foot traffic, why on earth would they have the retail on the Church side?

Edited by Jayvee

First thing u need to understand is that the north Tryon side of the block will remain empty, for a future office tower. That's why there is no retail on the Tryon side, because there is no Tryon side.
Let me download and post the site plan for you.

post-17104-0-62966000-1394119801_thumb.p

Please note in the bottom right corner, that they have gone ahead and added a "stub road" for future development. Since Charlotte is not one for planning for the future, I would expect that there is definitely something in the works for the days inn site.

Edited by Guest

First thing u need to understand is that the north Tryon side of the block will remain empty, for a future office tower. That's why there is no retail on the Tryon side, because there is no Tryon side.

Let me download and post the site plan for you.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-03-06 at 10.27.56 AM.png

Please note in the bottom right corner, that they have gone ahead and added a "stub road" for future development. Since Charlotte is not one for planning for the future, I would expect that there is definitely something in the works for the days inn site.

Ahhh okay, thank you. Makes a LOT more sense now. So the garage does back up to the Days Inn, they piece of crap REALLY needs to come down if it is going to be desirable to live in these apartments. I know I would NOT want to pay $1200+ a month to live next door to a shady hotel filled with drugs....and.....other crime.

Edited by Jayvee

And if you look back to the earlier version of the siteplan, the internal street was an L around Skyhouse, and now it is a T with a stub to the City/Days Inn parcel.  That says to me that Grubb, the master developer, is at least trying to obtain the City/Days Inn site.  

Here is the old L-shaped internal street posted a year ago

The City/Days Inn is still owned in trust by the heirs of Parks H Dalton.   Just googling to see what nice man left a slum motel as his legacy on earth, here is some info on him:  https://library.uncc.edu/manuscript/ms0354 .   He was the CEO of Interstate Securities, which became IJL (now absorbed into Wells Fargo Advisors). 

Recalling how much simpler things were at that time, Dalton said that he would travel to customers with over-the-counter stock certificates in-hand, stop at a tavern for a nice single malt scotch, then bring a charming woman of the night back to his motel for a quiet evening.  His papers reminisce fondly on a few night time visitors with surprising features, which offered new opportunities for exploration.  

As for those who wonder about rents with a seedy motel next door, you know exactly what happens.  A busty sales lady with pretty mascaraed eyes says to prospective tenants, "Oh that old thing? It is about to be torn down.  They have big plans for it that you will love".   I'm sure it is the same blissfully innocent lies told to the buyers by the sales ladies at Chapelwatch Condos across the street 15y ago.  The cleavage exposed is directly correlated to the number of necessary lies to make the sales.   The Vue and 210 Trade ladies had a lot of cleavage, and all those buyers lost small fortunes. 

Regardless, in this case, from the looks of the interior, it is virtually condemnable.   I don't care how demented or indifferent the Dalton heirs are, if their cash flow rent stops coming in because the building is condemned, they'll answer Grubb's phone calls. 

• Like 2

Regardless, in this case, from the looks of the interior, it is virtually condemnable.   I don't care how demented or indifferent the Dalton heirs are, if their cash flow rent stops coming in because the building is condemned, they'll answer Grubb's phone calls. 

I most certainly do, that thing is a black mark on a otherwise pretty beautiful downtown. The inside 277 loop is EASILY one of the most gorgeous downtown areas stacked against any major city (within comparable size). That area is easily the ugly step child and SkyHouse is a terrific step in the right direction but that Days Inn has got to go. Hopefully politicians will stop going there for extracirriculars and drug dealers will find a new spot.