SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

Love it, can't wait to see this thing go up and change the skyline in that area of town. Plan is to have people move in this time next year?

It is depressing how many cars are at the Days Inn, hopefully they arent all "guests" of the "hotel"

That hotel actually offers daily rate parking in their lot, so I'd wager most of those cars are not hotel guests

Somebody would have to pay me to park my car there...

• Like 1

There was a Seinfield episode where the parking attendents were renting people's cars out for use by hookers. I can imagine that happening there.

Anyway, been a lot of site activity going on. For those that didn't know, there's a webcam for the project here.

MFBhPOA.jpg

I'll have to check that out haha. 

I drive by the site everyday to get home and you don't get the sense of how big that lot is until you see a shot like this; I love the impact this is going to make in 4th Ward

I'll have to check that out haha. 

I drive by the site everyday to get home and you don't get the sense of how big that lot is until you see a shot like this; I love the impact this is going to make in 4th Ward

It's going to face 10th St. and be at the corner of Church and 10th. The tryon street and Days Inn sides of the lot will be for future commercial development.

It's going to face 10th St. and be at the corner of Church and 10th. The tryon street and Days Inn sides of the lot will be for future commercial development.

Yea I knew that, I was just referring to the lot size in general and its potential, sorry should have clarified that more!

On a side note, next to the church in the picture that you posted, what is the significance of that small church that looks like it was partially torn down?

Edited by saamh

Yea I knew that, I was just referring to the lot size in general and its potential, sorry should have clarified that more!

On a side note, next to the church in the picture that you posted, what is the significance of that small church that looks like it was partially torn down?

The McColl Center for Visual Art. It's an art center that connects art and artists with the community. I've seen it second as a museum and a private event location. The remnants to the left are what's left of the fire in the 80's.

That's not a church, that's the McColl Center for Visual Art.

The building was originally a Presbyterian Church, built in 1926. It burned down due to a homeless woman starting a fire in the building in 1984. McColl bought it in 1995 and had it renovated into what stands there today.

I think the partially demolished building is simply a remnant of the fire that was left as a part of history.

I'm not 100% certain though, I could be mixing things up a bit. I just know that a church used to be there and it was burned down and later turned into an Art center with live-in artists.

The interior of the church burned, it was rebuilt with a steel structure. The shell of the building behind the church was the ministers home, the roof leaked and damaged the interior, so they gutted it and left the stone walls, it was going to be another studio for visiting artist but was never completed.

Do you guys like the burned down building, because I personally think they should knock it down, I can understand the argument of it adding character but it looks ugly as heck in an area that is on the cusp of being revitalized beginning with the Skyhouse project...

Do you guys like the burned down building, because I personally think they should knock it down, I can understand the argument of it adding character but it looks ugly as heck in an area that is on the cusp of being revitalized beginning with the Skyhouse project...

Tear it down for what though? Another skyhouse like apartment building? It's a very unique structure and gives the city an older feel. Tearing down would be awful in my opinion.

• Like 1

Tear it down for what though? Another skyhouse like apartment building? It's a very unique structure and gives the city an older feel. Tearing down would be awful in my opinion.

Agreed, Why in the world tear it down. If anything someone needs to build on the dance theatre parking lot, before we tear down a historic building.

Don't tear it down, but at least renovate/restore it.  It makes that part of the block look dilapidated.  I can't see that as a selling point to developers.  Keeping a busted building for no purpose other than history, at least make it useful and put up some historical plaques of some kind (maybe there are and I've just missed them.)  Having a shell doesn't really add character IMO.

• Like 1

Don't tear it down, but at least renovate/restore it.  It makes that part of the block look dilapidated.  I can't see that as a selling point to developers.  Keeping a busted building for no purpose other than history, at least make it useful and put up some historical plaques of some kind (maybe there are and I've just missed them.)  Having a shell doesn't really add character IMO.

Agreed. It isn't doing the area any favors, especially with a brand new building incoming.

My main point about it is that the building serves as a gateway into fourth ward when people exit off the freeway on Church; it is the first thing they see, it doesn't leave a good image in people's mind. I definitely think if they can do some sort of restoration project on it that would be ideal.

My main point about it is that the building serves as a gateway into fourth ward when people exit off the freeway on Church; it is the first thing they see, it doesn't leave a good image in people's mind. I definitely think if they can do some sort of restoration project on it that would be ideal.

I must admit, it was one of the first things I saw uptown and my first thought was not "Oh WOW what great history!!!" it was "wow well that is crappy looking." I don't think it should remain in its current state. I guess history is cool and all but when its surrounded by...well things that are built, just feels like an out of place afterthought.