SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

The green spaces in 4th Ward are bonus for closures for through traffic.  The historic district would not be very livable if it had constant through-traffic.  And even with the closures there is vastly more traffic than most people are used to.

Risk of removal of developable land is kind of a silly concern in a part of uptown that has 1/2 a mile of would-be-prime real estate dedicated to surface parking.  

Obviously the ship has sailed on making 10th a green street for one more block like the vision plan had called for.  Now we can just hope for filling in the missing sections of 10th to connect 4th and 1st Wards.  

I live very nearby and just heard today taht the Center City Inn (formerly Days Inn) is being torn down and there will be a hotel with ground floor retail. It will be built as part of the complex being build now. Maybe just neighborhood gossip, but it is from a usually reliable source. Anyone else heard this.

• Like 3

I live very nearby and just heard today taht the Center City Inn (formerly Days Inn) is being torn down and there will be a hotel with ground floor retail. It will be built as part of the complex being build now. Maybe just neighborhood gossip, but it is from a usually reliable source. Anyone else heard this.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uh what? that is amazing news....inevitable, but nonetheless amazing. Bring on N Tryon!

Any word on what kind of hotel it will be?  

Right.  The Hospitality Corp is the operator of the current hotel.   The deed change that allows them to terminate the ultra-long lease with Hospitality Corp means that they are likely nearing a sale.   It stands to reason that if they are prepping to stop operating the motel there that they would stop paying some bills.  

I can't help but feel like just like the apartment boom, that it is a race to finish first in hotel announcements.  I somewhat doubt that all announced hotel projects will come to be.  

As a 4th Ward resident, I cannot wait for this site to be brought into 21st century and start the rebirth of the area for development!

• Like 1

There's not reall any hotel announcements, are there? Of course I mean formally/publicly

Embassy Suites is the only one that seems like a formal announcement. Tryon Place.

Homewood Suites is official as well.

Next to Carrillon Building in the empty land that is a quasi-park

Is that one of the four hotel projects to which you all duded in the C-D forum? If so, are the others also ones we already know about or is there something new afoot?

For the Skyhouse site, I think a Twelve Hotel would be nice since Skyhouse is also a Novarre concept.

Is that one of the four hotel projects to which you all duded in the C-D forum? If so, are the others also ones we already know about or is there something new afoot?

For the Skyhouse site, I think a Twelve Hotel would be nice since Skyhouse is also a Novarre concept.

It is not one of the four. I don't know anything about the Skyhouse Hotel. Don't take that to mean its not happening, I just haven't heard anything about it. I know SOMETHING is up, just don't know what.

Edited by Guest

The green spaces in 4th Ward are bonus for closures for through traffic.  The historic district would not be very livable if it had constant through-traffic.  And even with the closures there is vastly more traffic than most people are used to.

Sorry dub, but I disagree 100%. 4th Ward's street system is a legacy of Charlotte's attempt to suburbanize uptown that goes hand in hand with tearing down most of the 'history' in this city. The streets do not serve residents or visitors well. If it were up to me, the streets would be restored except for the block of 7th St that is now part of 4th Ward Park (which is, ironically, still used by the occasional drunk driver as a short cut).

• Like 1

Sorry dub, but I disagree 100%. 4th Ward's street system is a legacy of Charlotte's attempt to suburbanize uptown that goes hand in hand with tearing down most of the 'history' in this city. The streets do not serve residents or visitors well. If it were up to me, the streets would be restored except for the block of 7th St that is now part of 4th Ward Park (which is, ironically, still used by the occasional drunk driver as a short cut).

You're really overplaying the "tearing down most of the 'history' in this city" card here.  Fourth Ward contains some of the oldest residences in Charlotte, on very narrow streets that were laid out at a time when people mostly walked places.  It was not built for cars.  To the extent that the city had an interest in maintaining the residential character of the neighborhood, eliminating cut-through traffic was a smart move.  If someone visiting Charlotte wants to visit something in Fourth Ward, GPS will get them there just fine.