SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Are the rumors about dirt moving on the Days Inn site before SkyHouse tops out still possible?

Seen lots of cars and hotel guest there yesterday and Skyhouse seems to be chugging along

Tops out…? No. 

Top out will be 4th Qtr 2014 or 1st Qtr 2015. 

I bet dirt will be moving by 2nd or 3rd Qtr 2015.

Lets just hope that by then, the project will have been elevated to include retail/hotel and office on the tryon st. side of the project.

Edited by Guest

Well I think a lot of buildings go up relatively quickly once they are past the foundation or parking deck levels.   I recall that Ave had some slowdowns because the structure of the parking was distinct from the structure of the tower so it was like they were building two foundations in one, but intertwined.  This building was clearly engineered to keep the foundation as simple as possible, because they started on floor two far quicker than most.

They also may be economic incentives for the builder to work quickly, as it an apartment tower, so the longer they wait, the longer they are not making rents, and the more potential residents in the marketplace find other places.  That is in contrast to condo towers where they mostly presell and then must build as cheaply as possible.    So if they're paying the builder extra to finish quicker, there would be more employees on site than building it cheaper.  

Regardless, it is great to see.  I am surprised to see how big it is every time I pass IRL. 

**Literarily.  

Or maybe it is literally on fire but they're so close to the CFD that I've never noticed.  

I forgot to think about how cool it will be to go down 10th from Graham and see it at the end of the street.   It will be even nicer if a 2x taller office tower in sitting directly behind it.  

**Literarily.  

Or maybe it is literally on fire but they're so close to the CFD that I've never noticed.  

I forgot to think about how cool it will be to go down 10th from Graham and see it at the end of the street.   It will be even nicer if a 2x taller office tower in sitting directly behind it.  

Ha-ha, I love using literally incorrectly.  MadTv ruined my life.

You think Skyhouse is rising fast?

China is laughing at us:

http://youtu.be/rwvmru5JmXk

They also have a 15 story building they built in 2 days.  Sure it's prefab, but at what point do the costs offset?

Yea I would not feel safe stepping into that building; no matter how "resistant" it may be...

Edited by saamh
  • Like 1

Base on other Skyhouse projects...I suspect they begin working on the exterior facade within the next week.  I'm thinking this thing is topped out before the end of October.

That's so crazy. I know Skyhouse isn't unique in design, but I wish more high rises were built this way. As long as we have some signature towers to define our skyline (which we do), I don't mind if a lot of the residential or small infill projects are built on a template design as long as we're not getting multiple identical buildings in the city. I don't really care that much if some of our buildings exist in other cities.

• Like 2