SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Any thoughts on Vancouver's skyline as a contrast?

I've always had a tough time liking Vancouver's skyline.  Taken on the buildings alone, it's pretty ugly.  But obviously it has impressive density and one of the best backdrops possible to really help it along.  It also has very restrictive height regulations that really hurt it's ability to have "signature towers" as previously mentioned.  

But skiing down Grouse Mountain overlooking the city across Burrard inlet is one of the most impressive views I've ever had.

This is a pretty recent photo, and it looks a lot  better than it used to prior to the construction of Shangri-La.  Sorry, this is off-topic, last post then back to Skyhouse.   :offtopic:

Skyline-3a.jpg

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 2

^ I don't suspect we hear much until after the first of the year.  But unless something changes dramatically, I suspect this moves forward, breaking ground in approx 10-12 months from now.

Glass is going in now on the 4th floor and it looks like the 10th ceiling/11th floor is getting ready to be poured....getting close to half-way.  I feel like this is going to make more of an impact than I first imagined, especially once the twin goes up.

I can't believe how much this stretches the Uptown.  Walking from Skyhouse to the Westin is approximately the same as walk in Manhattan from Madison Square Garden all the way up to Central Park, which is pretty much all of Midtown.That's an amazing sense of what COULD be as everything begins to fill in.

BTW...I really look forward to BofA developing the back-lot of the Carolina Dance Theatre.  I know they want to expand the theatre there, but there is still plenty of room to do something along the scale of 400 N Chruch or Chapelwatch there. 

I can't believe how much this stretches the Uptown. Walking from Skyhouse to the Westin is approximately the same as walk in Manhattan from Madison Square Garden all the way up to Central Park, which is pretty much all of Midtown.That's an amazing sense of what COULD be as everything begins to fill in.

34/Penn to 59/Columbus would be 25 blocks, so I suppose that isn't too far of a stretch from (though roughly double) Charlotte's 12 blocks between Stonewall and 10th. Now, if Uptown were only wider than 1-2 blocks either side of Tryon, then that would really be something. At least Skyhouse will add length to the skyline for the photo-perfect west and east side views, even if it's still just a clump from NoDa and South End perspectives.

Edited by southslider

34/Penn to 59/Columbus would be 25 blocks, so I suppose that isn't too far of a stretch from (though roughly double) Charlotte's 12 blocks between Stonewall and 10th. Now, if Uptown were only wider than 1-2 blocks either side of Tryon, then that would really be something. At least Skyhouse will add length to the skyline for the photo-perfect west and east side views, even if it's still just a clump from NoDa and South End perspectives.

I Don't think two skyhouses would do much change in the way the skyline looks from the traditional View from East side. I think it's too short and too slender and too disconnected height wise from the rest of the skyline. They probably will (make an impact) though when something with height goes between Odell & Hearst.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I was measuring it out in feet, at roughly 5,000 ft (which is why i had to dogleg down to College for Charlotte).  NY north-south blocks are roughly half as wide as a Charlotte block. (200' vs 400' from mid-street to mid-street).

I was measuring it out in feet, at roughly 5,000 ft (which is why i had to dogleg down to College for Charlotte).  NY north-south blocks are roughly half as wide as a Charlotte block. (200' vs 400' from mid-street to mid-street).

yes, the standard NYC block structure is an 800' long by 200'wid blocks, while ours are roughly 375" squares with some variations

Looks like they are building one floor a week.. Should top out about the first of December.

Looking back at the webcam, its appears to be a little more, 1.2 on a bad week, 1.5 on a good week. I think top off by Mid November. So awesome

Ugg... it has radiator fins. WTF it's not that difficult to decouple the balconys. Maybe they'll put some R-11 paint on 'em.

When will people stop doing stupid stuff?  oh well at least they are building these all over the country so they aren't likely to get an architecture award.

I don't think it will. Especially from West/East angles

I think it will definitely add quality density from Due East. From Due West, it will obviously be invisible. From other directions it will stretch the skyline another two blocks, especially when skyhouse 2 gets built. Add in the tower MC was alluding to at 8th and Church and we have definitely filled in some gaps. Hopefully in a few years 525 N. Tryon won't be so lonely.

Is there any update on what is going on with the Crack Den.......excuse me, the City Center Inn...?

its progressing forward. Plans are pretty much finalized for the Church St. Side. Two Sky House buildings of equal size, with an expanded parking deck in the middle with retail fronting church street, 9th and 10th.

What seems to be a mystery/up in the air, is what would be done with the Tryon Street Frontage.

I would assume we would get an office tower around 25 floors on top of an exhausting amount of additional parking, plus a 200-300 room hotel, and quite a bit more retail.

Here is the view from the Garrison.

Its only half way from topping out, I really think it does a lot to stretch the skyline.