SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Here is the view from the Garrison.

After having been in DC for the past week, it's rather depressing just how little in-fill we have around uptown.  They even have a plethora of non-retail 7-8 story buildings that just make the city feel more like a, well, cohesive city.  Retail obviously doesn't hurt, but I can't wait for the day that Charlotte has a decent amount of mid-rise buildings surrounding uptown that make up for the lack of continuity in Charlotte's streetscape.

Edited by AuLukey

Yea, that will certainly stretch the skyline from that angle. Especially if the 2nd Skyhouse and office/hotel component comes together like RD indicated.

I think Skyhouse will add something in context with other buildings. But by itself, no. (assuming we're talking in pictures)

its progressing forward. Plans are pretty much finalized for the Church St. Side. Two Sky House buildings of equal size, with an expanded parking deck in the middle with retail fronting church street, 9th and 10th.

What seems to be a mystery/up in the air, is what would be done with the Tryon Street Frontage.

I would assume we would get an office tower around 25 floors on top of an exhausting amount of additional parking, plus a 200-300 room hotel, and quite a bit more retail.

Its only half way from topping out, I really think it does a lot to stretch the skyline.

Isn't the Skyhouse block the same block that was supposed to be used for 631 N. Tryon?  Also, wasn't that building 25ish stories and a Novare/Grubb concept?  I am hoping that one returns in some form for the office portion of the project assuming office space will go there.  I always thought the renderings looked nice.   For the hotel portion, I am holding out hope for a Twelve Hotel.  The whole block could just be a plethora of Novare concepts. 

^I'm pretty sure the Twelve concept is dead. I believe it was a concept started by Novare pre-recession that they got two built before things fell apart. Novare got hit HARD by the crash given their focus on high-rise condos. They're now solely focusing on the Skyhouse apartment concept, so I wouldn't expect to see any new Twelve hotels pop up anytime soon. 

An office tower sounds like a fairly long range plan. Isn't it already a challenge getting Crescent rolling & Portman since 300 is getting built first?

I'm hoping we get another nice pocket park or something in the meantime.

Isn't the Skyhouse block the same block that was supposed to be used for 631 N. Tryon?  Also, wasn't that building 25ish stories and a Novare/Grubb concept?  I am hoping that one returns in some form for the office portion of the project assuming office space will go there.  I always thought the renderings looked nice.   For the hotel portion, I am holding out hope for a Twelve Hotel.  The whole block could just be a plethora of Novare concepts. 

631 N Tryon was an office project proposed by First Colony.  Management there sort of blew themselves up, and group from their called Colony Development emerged that had certain assets.  One of those assets I believe was the seller-in-possession contract on the old Renaissance Apartments previously on the site.  Grubb and Colony subsequently merged, and they excercised their right to take possession.  They then created a JV with Novare, and split the back-half of the parcel, selling it to the Skyhouse special entity for the Phase 1 tower and parking deck.

All that said, 631 N Tryon is still sort of linked the the ownership lineage here.  There was supposed to be an apartment tower fronting Church and underground parking for the office tower, but I'm not sure of the original footprint of either building, so don't even know if its theoretically still possible to build the Duda Paine designed office tower as originally designed.

I don't suspect we see anything happen here unless a build-to-suit opportunity comes along (and that seems more likely a Portman/Westin destination) unless office rents go up another 15% or so and the economy is doing much better.

If people want to judge how this building is going to look in the skyline, look no further than the crane. By my estimations, the top of the crane right now, is about the height this building will eventually be. Its on floor 14 (15 if they don't include 13)

If people want to judge how this building is going to look in the skyline, look no further than the crane. By my estimations, the top of the crane right now, is about the height this building will eventually be. Its on floor 14 (15 if they don't include 13)

I'm curious on your opinion. 1/2 this block, I believe, will have street facing retail. Most of Church, 1/2 of 9th & 1/2 of 10th.

Is retail at this area doomed by location? At least for the next 5 or so years?

I'm curious on your opinion. 1/2 this block, I believe, will have street facing retail. Most of Church, 1/2 of 9th & 1/2 of 10th.

Throwin in my two cents: I would say long-term, it is a great location but over the next few years, it is certainly going to be a rough go of it. Look no further than Gateway as comparison. The foot traffic there will probably be similar to that of SkyHouse and with a few exceptions, retail is abysmal in Gateway.

Doomed until the area becomes a little less desolate. Once there is a high rise at 8th and Church, a second SkyHouse, A new office tower and perhaps hotel along Tryon on the other side of the Skyhouse lot, maybe there'll be more to support. If Levine's plans ever pan out, that will definitely help too. The biggest factor will be seeing how much weight the city throws around and how much corporate support there'll be for revitalizing N. Tryon. 

As silly as it sounds, even getting Duckworths open in the old Fox and Hound spot will make an impact.  I never go north of say, 5th street, unless I have an absolute reason to.

I used to live at Therapy on Wednesdays. It was the most dangerous night of the week. Buy one get one 12 oz. Martinis. Holy crap, I'm surprised I'm alive.

Yea, that looks about right. You will definitely see an impact in the skyline from that side of town just because of the ground elevation. 

What I am liking about this project already is that it really makes the area between 277 and Odell have the beginnings of a (mini) cluster feel when driving by on the Brookshire. A second Skyhouse and a potential office or hotel tower on the block would just be the icing on the cake.

I actually felt the same way yesterday driving down 277.  I like how close this thing is to the interstate.  It seems semi-imposing when you are driving along.