SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

The article said the HT at 6th is 18000sf.  So if RDF21's siteplan (which seems absolutely like the only the developers would be going with based on the clues we have) gets the Publix, it would 1 floor 28000sf like the Greenville store or 55/56 like their Southend Store.

I think 2 story stores are much easier now that they have the ramp escalators with magnetic trolly locks like the SouthPark Whole Foods has.  Publix is also used to doing 2-story stores in bigger cities so we just have to hope Grubb and CCCP can convince them of the merits.  

Sadly, Grubb has some success at getting deals with grocers, just not bringing them to fruition.

Alternately, we could hope that Teeter could be convinced that Publix is likely to choose that location, and get HT to go ahead and build a bigger store to move so they don't get caught with their pants down like they did in SouthEnd.  I think having both, though, would be ideal for the neighborhood with some price competition, and then the combined convenience and options of both stores. But even HT could choose to keep both if there is enough urban market to support both at a decent margin, because saturating the market will be better for them than losing market share to competition.   

Probably would never happen BUT...what if HT built out a full size two story store in SkyHouse and converted the mini teeter to a 201 Central (with a full service 22 tap bar like the Lincoln Park Whole Foods). Where the heck to residents in uptown buy their beer and wine (besides the scaled down HT)? 

Being a beer dork like I am, it would drive me nuts to have to go to Common Market just to get some decent craft beer to take home.  I mean they put those "upscale 201's" so far out in the boonies its crazy. 

Probably would never happen BUT...what if HT built out a full size two story store in SkyHouse and converted the mini teeter to a 201 Central (with a full service 22 tap bar like the Lincoln Park Whole Foods). Where the heck to residents in uptown buy their beer and wine (besides the scaled down HT)? 

Being a beer dork like I am, it would drive me nuts to have to go to Common Market just to get some decent craft beer to take home.  I mean they put those "upscale 201's" so far out in the boonies its crazy. 

7th street market has a good beer selection.

• Like 1

That's a plausible reuse, although I'm sure rent would be tough.

I could see it being a Walgreens to compete with the CVS.   I do have this vague fear of cannibalizing the sales and having places go under, but I guess that is a mindset from when uptown had trouble gaining any retail whatsoever.  It does seem that there is a reasonable basis now for expansion to full scale and some competition. 

The HT at 6th and Pine is 18000 which is closer to a pharmacy in size.  

That's a plausible reuse, although I'm sure rent would be tough.

I could see it being a Walgreens to compete with the CVS.   I do have this vague fear of cannibalizing the sales and having places go under, but I guess that is a mindset from when uptown had trouble gaining any retail whatsoever.  It does seem that there is a reasonable basis now for expansion to full scale and some competition. 

The HT at 6th and Pine is 18000 which is closer to a pharmacy in size.  

It would be the same thing as CVS in Epi vs Walgreens in BofA plaza, both do fine.

While I'm sure there's a logical answer...just wondering why this building is set back so far from Tryon? Will something be built between the high-rise and Tryon?

Church is more appropriate for residential, there will be an office tower on Tryon

While I'm sure there's a logical answer...just wondering why this building is set back so far from Tryon? Will something be built between the high-rise and Tryon?

Because it doesn't front Tryon, it will front Church. Another skyhouse will mirror the current skyhouse on the opposite corner of church at 9th st. On the Tryon facing section at 10th will be an office tower but in the meantime perhaps a park and on. The 9th street corner facing tryon will be a Publix.

I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't Grubb (or Novare or whoever) say they were working to bring a grocery to the site? Did they name Publix?

It's been mentioned in nearly all of the last 10 posts.

This thing could be topped out tomorrow or in the next couple days. Looks like only a fraction of the final floor is left. No signs of any movement on the parking deck. Obviously because it's still in permitting for the extension etc.

Edit: Chris Austin has some good shots of uptown with Skyhouse making a good presence

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

This thing could be topped out tomorrow or in the next couple days. Looks like only a fraction of the final floor is left. No signs of any movement on the parking deck. Obviously because it's still in permitting for the extension etc.

Edit: Chris Austin has some good shots of uptown with Skyhouse making a good presence

Link?