SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

That gap between Hearst and 525 N Tryon/Skyhouse is absolutely insane. Hopefully as N Tryon develops over time that gap will close.

Canopy by Hilton, Skyhouse Number 2 and any office we can get on the Grubb Land should do a lot to bridge the gap. Grey Star and 300 South Tryon, are really going to densify the current cluster though.

That gap between Hearst and 525 N Tryon/Skyhouse is absolutely insane. Hopefully as N Tryon develops over time that gap will close.

10421400_761398420588146_112969350787902

Edited by Guest

It's been mentioned in nearly all of the last 10 posts.

Good point quick one...what I was asking was did they SPECIFICALLY mention Publix. You read my post wrong. I went ahead and went back to the article and while it says they have approached Publix, no deal is on place. The reason I asked the question in the first place is because the two posts above mine were stating that a Publix was def. going to be built (see below). I think I liked it better when you were on hiatus.

Because it doesn't front Tryon, it will front Church. Another skyhouse will mirror the current skyhouse on the opposite corner of church at 9th st. On the Tryon facing section at 10th will be an office tower but in the meantime perhaps a park and on. The 9th street corner facing tryon will be a Publix.

^Publix and offices. See prior posts.

I Didn't necessarily mean for my post to come across as definitive more as What they stated they would like to go there and was trying to explain the layout of the site.

"Could be a Publix" would've been a better choice of words for me to use Your post also was vague in what you meant because they did specifically mention Publix.

But it seems like we're all on the same page so cheers.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

IMHO that's not the best decision for a place to put another grocery store. It's what - four blocks from the current one? So Fourth Ward gets two groceries and all of the other wards get bupkiss? I say stick it in first or second ward. A lot of development in both. 

ETA: I live in fourth ward, so it's not like I write this as a bitter resident of one of the other wards. 

Edited by kateinuptown

I think I liked it better when you were on hiatus.

Sorry if I offended you. People occasionally post things without seeing if anyone had posted the exact same thing, or an answer to their question. I thought this was the case. I should have known better, I recognize you are a thoughtful poster and regularly make very good contributions to the site, and I apologize. I was just messing around anyways :-)

As far as urban groceries go in Uptown. I do admittedly find the Publix location to be a head scratcher, because of its proximity to Harris Teeter. However, I think its the right "destination" retail to help catalyze foot traffic and help support the other retailers that are going in Sky House. 

The other thing that is interesting is there are 3 full size grocery stores that are either proposed or part of a master plan in Uptown.

• Crescent on Caldwell has a 50-60k grocery store planned as part of their mega development. (Rumored to be Whole Foods)

• Grubb on North Tryon has a 40k+ sq foot Grocery store proposed (they are in preliminary talks with Publix)

• The Cities master plan for Gateway Station (like that'll happen any time soon) includes a 55-60k sq foot urban grocery store (originally rumored to be a full size HT to replace the tiny HT at 5th and Poplar.) 

There are also 4 grocery stores planned, proposed or under construction in the inner ring neighborhoods. 

• 20k sq foot Home Economist in Plaza Midwood

• 35k sq foot Fresh Market on Kenilworth and Morehead

• 55k sq foot Publix at Shoppes at Southline

• 55k-60k sq foot HT at Sedgefield Crossing. 

Seems like a lot of grocery stores to me...

And yet... NoDa has the Food Lion way over on the Plaza, and the Compare Foods at Asian Corners, and thats it... Its truely the market that most deserves one of these proposals, specifically a Trader Joes. 

Edited by Guest

Good point quick one...what I was asking was did they SPECIFICALLY mention Publix. You read my post wrong. I went ahead and went back to the article and while it says they have approached Publix, no deal is on place. The reason I asked the question in the first place is because the two posts above mine were stating that a Publix was def. going to be built (see below). I think I liked it better when you were on hiatus.

We are just pickin with ya Jed!  No hard feelings  :hi:

• Like 1

^ as RDF says, I would bet that the uptown mini teeter has a limited lifespan. The space could be nicely converted into a specialty food and wine retailer (e.g. a mutant Southern Season).

NoDa is a really tough market for chain grocers. While it is certainly gorwing, its relative location makes it a tiny demographic island in all the site selection models. It still does not have sufficient population on its own to justify a full sized store and the pending explosion of intown groceries means that the BLE woun't bring many customers to the hood for a high end store. I think the best hope NoDa had for a real grocery was for Healthy Home to move to the Matheson / n Davidson area, but their store on Central nixed that.

Publix has a small format which they tend to follow for stores in urban locations. The one on McBee Avenue in Greenville, SC is 29,000sf for example. I highly doubt they would spring for a two-story format here.

They have two in Columbia as well (downtown and on Rosewood). I've always liked that the urban Publix concept is willing to go into cool places. They retrofitted the old Confederate Printing Press (that made SC currency for about 4 years in the mid 1860's) and expanded it to create their store - thus saving the building from collapsing. In general I think their urban format stores are better than the small format "HT Express" concept that exists in uptown - perhaps because they are slightly larger.

The article said the HT at 6th is 18000sf.  So if RDF21's siteplan (which seems absolutely like the only the developers would be going with based on the clues we have) gets the Publix, it would 1 floor 28000sf like the Greenville store or 55/56 like their Southend Store.

I think 2 story stores are much easier now that they have the ramp escalators with magnetic trolly locks like the SouthPark Whole Foods has.  Publix is also used to doing 2-story stores in bigger cities so we just have to hope Grubb and CCCP can convince them of the merits.  

Sadly, Grubb has some success at getting deals with grocers, just not bringing them to fruition.

Alternately, we could hope that Teeter could be convinced that Publix is likely to choose that location, and get HT to go ahead and build a bigger store to move so they don't get caught with their pants down like they did in SouthEnd.  I think having both, though, would be ideal for the neighborhood with some price competition, and then the combined convenience and options of both stores. But even HT could choose to keep both if there is enough urban market to support both at a decent margin, because saturating the market will be better for them than losing market share to competition.   

Anything >50k is a full size store. That would be a game changer in uptown. I think the competition with HT would be great, but I hope that they don't decide to 'give up' on that location in favor of their South End store. If they think that people who walk to a store will start driving to a different one then they don't understand how an urban market works, and Publix will win out. I'm loyal to convenience, not HT.

I'm interested to see how all of this new residential affects HT. All of the units going in around the ballpark, Skyhouse, 3rd Ward, and (slowly) the Vue will surely impact that HT. I feel like the lines are already longer than they used to be.

The other thing that is interesting is there are 3 full size grocery stores that are either proposed or part of a master plan in Uptown.

• Crescent on Caldwell has a 50-60k grocery store planned as part of their mega development. (Rumored to be Whole Foods)

• Grubb on North Tryon has a 40k+ sq foot Grocery store proposed (they are in preliminary talks with Publix)

• The Cities master plan for Gateway Station (like that'll happen any time soon) includes a 55-60k sq foot urban grocery store (originally rumored to be a full size HT to replace the tiny HT at 5th and Poplar.) 

It would be interesting if the two new stores pan out (I'm not counting on Gateway Station). The possible Whole Foods location on Stonewall would be nearly 100% driving trips given that WF is more of a 'destination' store.. I can't imagine many people walking over there since it's so far away from any residential.

They have two in Columbia as well (downtown and on Rosewood). I've always liked that the urban Publix concept is willing to go into cool places. They retrofitted the old Confederate Printing Press (that made SC currency for about 4 years in the mid 1860's) and expanded it to create their store - thus saving the building from collapsing. In general I think their urban format stores are better than the small format "HT Express" concept that exists in uptown - perhaps because they are slightly larger.

Anything >50k is a full size store. That would be a game changer in uptown. I think the competition with HT would be great, but I hope that they don't decide to 'give up' on that location in favor of their South End store. If they think that people who walk to a store will start driving to a different one then they don't understand how an urban market works, and Publix will win out. I'm loyal to convenience, not HT.

I'm interested to see how all of this new residential affects HT. All of the units going in around the ballpark, Skyhouse, 3rd Ward, and (slowly) the Vue will surely impact that HT. I feel like the lines are already longer than they used to be.

It would be interesting if the two new stores pan out (I'm not counting on Gateway Station). The possible Whole Foods location on Stonewall would be nearly 100% driving trips given that WF is more of a 'destination' store.. I can't imagine many people walking over there since it's so far away from any residential.

There are plans for 850 units of residential within two blocks of that Whole Foods, not to mention a 850 rooms worth of hotel, and perhaps one day Brooklyn Village. So that'll be over 2000 possible people that could stop in to shop there.

Also Urban Whole Foods have been giving up more of their space to their Cafe/Premade Meals section, which will cater very well to the hotels in the area as well as the convention-center goers, and various uptown workers.

Edited by Guest

There are plans for 850 units of residential within two blocks of that Whole Foods, not to mention a 850 rooms worth of hotel, and perhaps one day Brooklyn Village. So that'll be over 2000 possible people that could stop in to shop there.

Also Urban Whole Foods have been giving up more of their space to their Cafe/Premade Meals section, which will cater very well to the hotels in the area as well as the convention-center goers, and various uptown workers.

Not to mention all the people that live within the core neighborhoods that want to go to Whole Foods. As long as they offer free parking to customers, that Whole Foods would do well. I'd go there often.

I never go to the one at South Park because I don't feel like driviing that far to go to the grocery store, but I'd certainly go to one 2 miles away.

I never go to the one at South Park because I don't feel like driviing that far to go to the grocery store, but I'd certainly go to one 2 miles away.

me too. I live in the inner ring but my life's ambition is to stay away from Soutpark. I would go to an uptown WF a few times a year (which is way more than I visit the SP store).

• Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/skyhouse-uptown-apartment-tower-hits-halfway-point.html

Great BizJournal article about SkyHouse topping out with pictures!!! Some of those apartments are going to have incredible views. I guess I didn't realize they all had 24th floor pool decks. That is pretty scary and awesome

Edited by Jayvee

I would be very disappointed with this move. There needs to be a full service grocery at Skyhouse, not small prototype. I would rather see a small urban store in Elizabeth, Myers Park, or NoDa.