SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

With a 28000sf parcel, they could potentially open a store of similar size to the 6th St Harris Teeter, but reserve the right amount of footprint space and engineer it for an upward expansion in the future when the market can support it.  

Two smaller grocery stores is still better than one, because it will allow direct price competition.   Price has been the main problem with the uptown HT, not selection.  Lately the lines have been long, which would also be fixed by competition.  

I am not familiar enough with the economics to know if they could support it, but I think it is vastly better to get started with a single story grocer in a smaller format to start the competition and entry to the uptown market, but as long as they have expandability, they can build out the second story when it is warranted.  

I think I already mentioned it, but in case I didnt, I heard from a HT manager that the uptown store makes 50% more revenue than a particular suburban full-sized store, meaning 4x the revenue per sf.   There is clearly room in the market for a second competitor.  

I think I already mentioned it, but in case I didnt, I heard from a HT manager that the uptown store makes 50% more revenue than a particular suburban full-sized store, meaning 4x the revenue per sf.   There is clearly room in the market for a second competitor.  

Wow thats an incredible, but not surprising. That HT is highway robbery, but dang is it convenient. I would love some competition uptown sooner than letter, so lets go Publix

I would be very disappointed with this move. There needs to be a full service grocery at Skyhouse, not small prototype. I would rather see a small urban store in Elizabeth, Myers Park, or NoDa. 

Gonna disagree there.  This site doesn't make a lot of sense for a full size grocer in my opinion.  It's not particularly convenient destination for commuters or single-family dweller shoppers, which would be the primary traffic drivers.  The smaller proto-type stores would be most appropriate for the expected density in this area.

The best site for a full-size grocer would be the Crescent site adjancent to the LRT and South Blvd at Stonewall.  Full size implies things like 35 lb bags of dog food, and 12-pack rolls of paper towels, things that are going to go in a car, so might as well make it conventient for people in South End, Dilworth, and Uptown, plus commuters, plus LRT riders.

Tucked away against the edge of Uptown (Skyhouse site) is really only to survive on a market accessible by foot-traffic, and I can't imagine there is ever going to be enough residents to justify a full-size proto-type.

That makes a lot of sense.  I have been trying to imagine what additional needs I would have for a full sized grocer that the HT we have does not have.   My general feeling of things that we usually lack is better/bigger produce and meat section and more organic selections.  Otherwise, it seems to me that I have not ever gone to HT at 6th and felt like they didn't have what I was looking for.  

It will be most beneficial to uptown if we had 3 smaller grocers than one large one that tries to put the others out of business.  

• 2 weeks later...

http://oxblue.com/open/SkyHouseApartments

So I see now what people were referring to about the 'radiator fins'.   I have always looked almost exclusively at Charlotte's Skyhouse renderings and not as much at the other cities since I always read it was a cut-and-paste design.   But I see that a number of the other cities have a barrel-style roof.    I'm glad we got the 'radiator fins' more like Catalyst and Avenue than the roof they have in Atlanta and a few other places.

I also noticed that now that they are putting in piles for the parking deck, that when the expanded the deck, they also extended toward Tryon.   I guess that will reduce the footprint available to the office and grocery sections unless they simply have the internal street from 9th to 10th be either running through the ground floor of the parking deck or else disconnected.    A benefit would be connecting the larger deck directly to the Publix and office, but I'm not sure.   

It looks like they finally started gutting the Center City Inn today! They'll probably start demolition soon so they can move forward with construction of the parking deck. From the webcam, it looks like the parking deck comes right up to the Center City Inn along Church Street, so they may need the extra work area.

• Like 1

It looks like they finally started gutting the Center City Inn today! They'll probably start demolition soon so they can move forward with construction of the parking deck. From the webcam, it looks like the parking deck comes right up to the Center City Inn along Church Street, so they may need the extra work area.

Wow, it is so exciting to see this thing go away. I think I speak for everyone when I say: 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 4

What is so flipping perfect about this is that I took a run along Tryon past the driveway entrance to the construction zone around 4p, and got mildly annoyed that the dump trucks were being oblivious to pedestrians so I had to wait for a few to pass before I could go through.

Had I known they were all carrying out debris of that horrible motel, I would have stopped and applauded.   :silly:

• Like 3

Was looking over the plans for the new parking deck, and I really think that we will see the complete demo of City Center Inn soon. The old Parking Deck was 113.5' long along Church Street. The new parking deck has two floors of subterranean parking, and an additional 61' feet of Church Street Frontage. Once the hole is dug for the two floors of subterranean parking, we should see Center City Inn go away for good. In a bit of good news. There will 61' of retail frontage on Church, YAY. 

Was looking over the plans for the new parking deck, and I really think that we will see the complete demo of City Center Inn soon. The old Parking Deck was 113.5' long along Church Street. The new parking deck has two floors of subterranean parking, and an additional 61' feet of Church Street Frontage. Once the hole is dug for the two floors of subterranean parking, we should see Center City Inn go away for good. In a bit of good news. There will 61' of retail frontage on Church, YAY. 

WOW! That is awesome news, definitely nice to get some retail down there. Cool to see the retain in the garage too, I feel like that's a pretty modern approach rather than just a bland garage.

• Like 1

WOW! That is awesome news, definitely nice to get some retail down there. Cool to see the retain in the garage too, I feel like that's a pretty modern approach rather than just a bland garage.

The entire block of Church will have retail, except for the two feeder streets. As far as the garage goes, it will still be very bland and ugly :-), just with retail. 

The Total Demo permit for the Center City Inn was recently applied for, and is nearly complete the approvals...so yes, I think it will be razed soon enough.

I believe the bottom two floors on the garage will be brick-panelled, so better than the Catalyst garage.

• Like 1

The Total Demo permit for the Center City Inn was recently applied for, and is nearly complete the approvals...so yes, I think it will be razed soon enough.

I believe the bottom two floors on the garage will be brick-panelled, so better than the Catalyst garage.

You are correct, it will be. However, its still pretty awful looking, just like all the SkyHouse parking decks.

so it's not too late to go spray-paint "URBAN PLANETEERS UNITE" on the side of the center city inn?

Please do... PLEASE!!!!

Edited by Guest