SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Not to mention all the people that live within the core neighborhoods that want to go to Whole Foods. As long as they offer free parking to customers, that Whole Foods would do well. I'd go there often.

I never go to the one at South Park because I don't feel like driviing that far to go to the grocery store, but I'd certainly go to one 2 miles away.

Yeah, but you'll drive there most of the time. I'm not suggesting that WF won't succeed, I'm saying that it will (have to) cater to driving customers. I just hope that from an urban design perspective it holds up.

The Total Demo permit for the Center City Inn was recently applied for, and is nearly complete the approvals...so yes, I think it will be razed soon enough

You're doing that wrong man. Just predict it is coming down and then when it does, come back here and remind us all you said it. To several you'll look like a genius...that is if that kind of thing actually matters to you...

You're doing that wrong man. Just predict it is coming down and then when it does, come back here and remind us all you said it. To several you'll look like a genius...that is if that kind of thing actually matters to you...

Not everyone knows how to search through those things so I consider anyone who can decipher and has track records of being ahead of curves before they're In permitting, etc. to be a genius.

Received this through the grapevine

SkyHouse II & Crane Easement

- Second SkyHouse decision is forthcoming. The parking garage is being built to accommodate possible super market parking needs. The motel will be torn down on the 4th or 5th of December.

That's awesome news, it's great to see so much happening in my home town. I would love the office tower here to be the landing spot for Charlotte Observer... There really needs to be a Local company to help anchor the North Tryin Rennaissance.

Yeah, I think rumors of the Days Inn death were great exaggerated.   I ran by again yesterday and it seems they only really removed the wall between the parcels.    That is awesome, though, that by St Nicholas Day we will have an awesome gift!

As much as it is great to think of Observer being a tenant for the office building, I think they are smaller tenant than I hope they get.  It would be ideal if they can end up with an office tower taller than (Odell) 525 Tryon. 

Yeah, I think rumors of the Days Inn death were great exaggerated.   I ran by again yesterday and it seems they only really removed the wall between the parcels.    That is awesome, though, that by St Nicholas Day we will have an awesome gift!

As much as it is great to think of Observer being a tenant for the office building, I think they are smaller tenant than I hope they get.  It would be ideal if they can end up with an office tower taller than (Odell) 525 Tryon. 

To complete the parking deck, they will have to demolish the Days Inn, as the new parking deck extends 50 feet into the building. As soon as they are finished with the 2 floors of subterranean parking, I believe they will demo the entire property. ES Charlotte said a reliable source has the Inn being demo'd in Early December.

Not a stupid question at all. Think of an old steam heat radiator:

Notice that the vertical tubes are fin like almost a flat piece that sticks out from the tube. This is to increase the energy transfer to the air. With the way Skyhouse's balconies are built they will do the exact same thing. In the winter they will radiate heat out to the air, and in the summer they will absorb heat from the air and radiate it back through the floor to the inside of the apartment.

for more info read here: http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi062-thermal-bridges-redux

BTW that link talks about the Aqua Building in Chicago, the architecture firm's response about the radiator fins was we have R-11 paint on the slabs. I'm sorry but R-11 paint does not exist. Aerogel is about the highest insulating product (vacuum panels are much higher, but they are not appropriate really for buildings) you can buy and it is about R-10 per inch, and it's not paint. R-11 paint is either willful ignorance by the architects and builders, or an out right lie to help them meet energy performance requirements.

Likewise the lack of thermal breaks on the balconies for Skyhouse is either willful ignorance by the architect and/or builder or the architects and/or builder do not care about their client. The Thermal breaks are cheap and reduce building operating costs. There is zero reason not to use them.

I missed this post originally, but finally it made sense when I read this article this morning:

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/gimme-a-thermal-break-get-rid-of-radiator-fin-balconies.html

thermalbridge.jpg

I had mistaken the 'radiator fin' reference to mean the design of the crown which look like fins of a radiator, and probably also have the same thermal leakage problem.

It is a shame, but it seems still better than the same number of units of single family homes for efficiency.  

• Like 2

I had mistaken the 'radiator fin' reference to mean the design of the crown which look like fins of a radiator, and probably also have the same thermal leakage problem.

It is a shame, but it seems still better than the same number of units of single family homes for efficiency.

The crown design could have it, but it is likely much less thermally connected to the structure than the balconies are.

To put the balcony cost into perspective, the added cost is something like $1,000 - $4,000 per balcony to add in the available thermal breaks (depending on the design used).

The real major efficiency increases with this type of housing vs. single family houses is the lack of need for a car. However you are correct that it is more energy efficient in regards to heating and cooling energy needs as well. That is why these types of buildings have less insulation than single family homes have. However thermal bridging greatly reduces this inherent advantage. As a side not that is why I love the much maligned EIFS, since it almost eliminates thermal bridging in regards to the exterior cladding system.

Without taking the time to check, would it be permissible to use protected wood structured balconies on a high rise? Then you're just bolting into the edge of the building, and this obscene concrete thermal break is handled.

Basically no. I mean it's doable, but it's a complete redesign of the basic structure around the balconies, and for what it does and the construction knowledge required concrete is cheaper. The thermal breaks for concrete balconies are available and inexpensive, they just didn't use them.

Looks like the CBJ article was updated... So they'll begin tearing down the old Days Inn next month as has been mentioned here before. And per Jim Borders, President of Novare: "We are pleased to have acquired the property and look forward to getting started on this second phase of SkyHouse Uptown next year," ... They also sound pretty confident that if they get the grocer lined up, they'll be able to get someone lined up for the office portion of this property as well. 

That's exciting! I was disappointed to read this quote, even though it's a reality of being a modern sunbelt city:

"I think [office is] an obvious use for us," Williams says, adding that the SkyHouse parking deck will be underutilized during the daytime, which would mean plenty of parking for an office tenant. "I think we can get to a parking count that is much higher than your typical downtown parking count. If you're trying to create a compelling reason why a company would be willing to locate in an emerging corridor like this, parking is an important tool."

Looks like the "official" groundbreaking is today.

Bm4Y4MJIcAA6Lqa.jpg

@FYC_CLT

^  Wow....May of this year.

Also posting the rendering again, to show the design of the top.  I had originally thought we were getting a rounded top design, but apparantly not.  Also, I wonder if Phase 2 is identical, or if the floor count is slightly different, or the roof design is slightly different ( I like the one going up in Buckhead a lot).

skyhousecharlotte_resized-808x1024.jpg