SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

I was looking at the webcam for this and was reminded of the discussion that has happened a thousand times on UP yet has never seemed to get any city recognition:

Why is there not a minor city maintenance project related to this project to connect 10th to 10th across Church.  Obviously since they didn't plan ahead, the only option is to cut a lane into the median, but considering how often the median has been gouged into by trucks taking wide turns and the fact that open space has been saved on the Edwin Towers site for at least another decade by that renovation, it seems time to make it happen.

As a resident of 4th Ward, I know just how consistently people make the diagonal straight illegally now.  It is even more necessary considering that the Graham 277 exit does not go east, so any eastbound trip requires getting to 11th and Brevard, which is convoluted when you are required to turn right on Church.

The traffic will be increased as result of this project, but obviously the deck being on Church will at least not cause 100% of this new traffic to want to make this straight, but it will still happen.

I feel like it is a cheap fix for a flawed design that was purely trying to support the take-Church-instead-of-Tryon focus of the <2000s.  But at this point, it is time not only to reconnect, but go ahead and build the long planned Tryon to Blue Line connection of 10th Street now that the rest of First Ward streets are being improved for BLE development and 10th is being built by Levine east of the Blue Line.  

At minimum the 10th & Church intersection revision ought to be done in conjunction with Skyhouse even if the rest waits.  

They could even keep a similar amount of greenspace and achieve some traffic calming by replacing the current right turn lane with the realignment rather than just adding the new straight lane and keeping the current asphalt.   It would be more like a bulb-out addition to the Edwin Tower grounds, which is going to the be next dog-lot like Settlers Cemetery is for Avenue.  

post-670-0-86814200-1417449860_thumb.png

Instead of reducing the median to add a lane, they could just dog-leg the entire east-bound lane into the median for the last 50-100', and then bump out the Edwin tower land into the current east-bound lane (keeping 10th St effectively just 1-lane each direction)

This is effectively the reverse of what the city has already done with E 9th St between Caldwell and Brevard.

I agree though, such a simple/cheap project that would really improve connectivity.

The only thing else that could be done (that might reduce cut-through if that is the concern) is to merge the current 11th st stub with the I-277 off-ramp at Church St, but I have a feeling that would be pretty-dangerous for anyone trying to exit the neighborhood on 11th, and probably far more costly with having to re-grade that exit ramp.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I edited my thought to say the same.  I like the bump out idea because it actually makes more usable greenspace with little loss, and doesn't overdo the asphalt considering it doesn't really pile up much in this area, especially not with the ability to go straight. 

I feel like it is a cheap fix for a flawed design that was purely trying to support the take-Church-instead-of-Tryon focus of the <2000s.  But at this point, it is time not only to reconnect, but go ahead and build the long planned Tryon to Blue Line connection of 10th Street now that the rest of First Ward streets are being improved for BLE development and 10th is being built by Levine east of the Blue Line.  

FWIW, the design of the median on 10th Street is actually a remnant of a trolley loop that ran from Trade up Graham to 11th St, Pine, 10th St, Church, 13th St back to Tryon. Much of that old route was destroyed when the Brookshire was built and Graham St widened in the late 50s, so the median on 10th is all we have left (sort of like Queens Rd).

Still, I agree that the street should be modified so that drivers can continue down 10th.

• Like 1

I still wish they had continued the median through to Tryon and beyond, but now that that is moot, let's at least fix the bad movement.  

Of course streetcars built back on all the old transit medians would be pretty great for the city, but that is a political non-starter.

If it were me, I would make the switch from median to non-median at Poplar, and put a nice gradual bend in the road to realign across Church.  That would be the most intentional looking solution in my mind.

They could even keep a similar amount of greenspace and achieve some traffic calming by replacing the current right turn lane with the realignment rather than just adding the new straight lane and keeping the current asphalt.   It would be more like a bulb-out addition to the Edwin Tower grounds, which is going to the be next dog-lot like Settlers Cemetery is for Avenue.  

If it were me, I would make the switch from median to non-median at Poplar, and put a nice gradual bend in the road to realign across Church.  That would be the most intentional looking solution in my mind.

I was thinking of what would be the smallest amount of change for cost, but also to not remove any mature trees.  But you are right.   starting at Poplar or even midblock only removes a single tree and would be a better design:  

post-670-0-33613700-1417791387_thumb.png

post-670-0-73724200-1417791939_thumb.png

That would be far better to be less like a bulb out and more like a real continuous street.   Obvious the CDOT people can do it better, but the point is clear, that it is a can be done, and makes greenspace that is actually more usable than ceremonial like the median is now.   

It also sets up for left turns onto Church for when they convert one lane to a northbound lane toward the freeway.   That will be the best route from 4th Ward to 277 when they close the Graham exit of 277 eventually.  

• Like 1

I still wish they had continued the median through to Tryon and beyond, but now that that is moot, let's at least fix the bad movement.  

Of course streetcars built back on all the old transit medians would be pretty great for the city, but that is a political non-starter.

I agree 100%

I was thinking of what would be the smallest amount of change for cost, but also to not remove any mature trees.  But you are right.   starting at Poplar or even midblock only removes a single tree and would be a better design:  

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.55.14 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-05 at 10.04.46 AM.png

That would be far better to be less like a bulb out and more like a real continuous street.   Obvious the CDOT people can do it better, but the point is clear, that it is a can be done, and makes greenspace that is actually more usable than ceremonial like the median is now.   

It also sets up for left turns onto Church for when they convert one lane to a northbound lane toward the freeway.   That will be the best route from 4th Ward to 277 when they close the Graham exit of 277 eventually.  

I could be wrong, but I swear I remember reading that the 4th Ward neighborhood association was against this idea because it would allow more cars to use 10th St. While I've generally had positive experiences with that organization, they can be very close-minded at times. If I can find where I read that I'll post a link.

If they were to align starting at poplar they need to pull the curbline in and then meander it back out.  If the NE curb is left straight it will look like an afterthought.

">http://http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/hbcort/media/10thstreetcopy_zps5bd32938.jpg.html'>10thstreetcopy_zps5bd32938.jpg

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.55.14 AM.png

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-05 at 10.04.46 AM.png

I would be for a sharper bend closer to the west end, which would maximize space in the block to the south and slow traffic as well.

I agree 100%

I could be wrong, but I swear I remember reading that the 4th Ward neighborhood association was against this idea because it would allow more cars to use 10th St. While I've generally had positive experiences with that organization, they can be very close-minded at times. If I can find where I read that I'll post a link.

They ought to be up in arms with the NCDOT 277 study then.   That is going to blow up 10th street in the worst way if there is no Graham Street exit and all the game day traffic, Music Factory drunkies, ADM trucks, and generally a lot lot of people suddenly need to get to the Church Street on/off ramps to 277.   

I will say, I don't prefer archiham's curvy design even if it is slightly traffic calming.   The median is a nice element of 10th street, and is already missing near Graham, so if you peel it back entirely to Poplar, then it is a one-block median and is takes something away.   Also, you will have removed all the mature trees that exist on the northern edge.   My design only removed a single mature tree.    

____

Anyway, back onto topic, at the Fourth Ward Holiday Home Tour (which is very very good this year with three 9th Street mansions on tour in a rare treat) Skyhouse had a booth to start marketing the first tower.   The larger parking deck now a resident activity roof that the two towers will share.    So both towers will have a pool on their roofs, but the other stuff will be on the roof of the deck.   

This rendering will change, and what appears to be a metal roof in the center will possibly change to a field or something else as they tweak the amenities, but it is fun to see the plan.

post-670-0-71634400-1417882768_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

From the CBJ article, it sounded like they didn't anticipate a construction start until mid-2015. Since that coincides with the completion of Skyhouse I, that tells me a) probably same construction crews and b) they have the luxury of getting a sense of leasing activity for the first building before starting the second.