SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Article from the Observer tonight talking about the celebration of the Center City Inn demo. Seems a little more straightforward about the second SkyHouse starting up in mid-2015 with Novare indicating financing is already secure: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/10/5375270/officials-celebrating-former-days.html#.VIkQlzHF98E

• Like 1

Ok that is good news.   I wasn't sure why Michael Smith was hedging on it other than just maybe traditional "not counting chickens".  

One thing that was said last night (and repeated in the O article today) that I had not fully processed in my head is that with the second tower, the potential is for up to 1000 residents to be added once fully occupied.  

4th Ward has a (2010?) population of 5621!  http://maps.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/qoldashboard/?npa=340&variable=p1

So that is a growth of almost 18%, and a 10% boast if you count 1st and 4th Wards.    That is a very good thing for support retail and changing the character of North Tryon in general.   

• Like 1

They are now driving pilings for the underground portion of the parking deck on the portion of the property that used to be the Days Inn.  Will be interesting to see how wide the deck will be.

Also, looking back at OxBlue cameras for other Skyhouse projects, the roof will definitely look like Houston and the 100 Sixth St (Atlanta) ones, which are more squared off.  That's what the renderings seem to imply, but what they are doing at the roof level now is consistent with how they completed those two projects.  Based on where we are today vs where the Houston property was when it looked to be at the similar point in construction, the crane in our Skyhouse in Charlotte would come down basically at the very end of March.

I think I've said this before, but I hope Skyhouse 2 has a different top or is slightly different in height.  I sort of dig the Buckhead roof design.  I want fraterenal twins...not identicals.

They are now driving pilings for the underground portion of the parking deck on the portion of the property that used to be the Days Inn.  Will be interesting to see how wide the deck will be.

I posted this somewhere...  It will be roughly 1/3 larger. I seem to remember 176 feet, of course now I cannot find the document with the dimensions. 

I can see the merit of the fraternal twin towers thing, but I also don't like the barrel roof that much, so maybe if they come up with a different way to differentiate them, hopefully.

I think it is taking longer than expected to clear the motel.  It looks only 1/4-1/3 of the way cleared, so I suspect it may be another week or so.  

^The folks developing the N Tryon area plan are certainly aware of this issue and are working to address it.

While everyone knows it wont be easy to solve this problem, it is worth noting that even more difficult homeless issues were solved in the other portions of downtown.

That Publix is going to have such a problem with bums bothering customers or coming into the store.

:) We'll just make sure we take all benches out of the area. Maybe put spikes on ledges or anywhere they could sit. (sarcasm)

I hope this Publix comes true. It's odd though, I know I'll get stoned for this, but I rather see Public on South Tryon in that empty lot beside the Gantt museum. North Tryon already has Harris Teeter.

:) We'll just make sure we take all benches out of the area. Maybe put spikes on ledges or anywhere they could sit. (sarcasm)

I hope this Publix comes true. It's odd though, I know I'll get stoned for this, but I rather see Public on South Tryon in that empty lot beside the Gantt museum. North Tryon already has Harris Teeter.

Yeah, but the Crescent project is supposed to have a grocery store, so S. Tryon should get covered as well in the near future.

Why does the N. Tryon area need a second grocery store, with maybe a 3rd grocery store on S. Tryon?

The uptown Harris Teeter has capacity, and Reid's failed.

Don't just think of Publix as a grocery store. Think of it as a anchor to a development that will at the very least have 30k additional retail. With the addition of an office tower I would venture to guess there'd be at least 10k more to add.

Urban Whole Foods in NYC have a very very big prepared foods, salad and deli sections to cater to office workers and I would venture to bet that this publix will too. The Harris teeter In 4th ward is not really like that.

Also Reid's was pretty successful in its early years uptown, but was a victim to the recession, and the rents downtown that prove to be rather unfriendly to the average local mom and pop.

I suspect that there is also a loss-leader / flagship component to uptown stores. If you can get (the relatively young) uptown residents hooked on a grocery brand while the live in the city then they may be more likely to stick with that brand IF they eventually move to the burbs. Being privately held I suspect that Publix is very comfortable with that sort of wager.

• Like 1

The Uptown Teeter is profitable FWIW & attracts over 2,000 customers per day. Reid's lease was not renewed to make way for the 7th St. Market.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure Reid's could no longer afford the space, and they actually were losing money towards the end, that's why they had to move to a tiny space in Myers park with that was more of a specialty shop. They have since recovered and are expanding to multiple stores :-).

That space sat for a while until the city was like hey, let's make this a market, since the one at center city green never materializes. They then partnered with CMC and made it happen.

Edited by Guest

Don't just think of Publix as a grocery store. Think of it as a anchor to a development that will at the very least have 30k additional retail. With the addition of an office tower I would venture to guess there'd be at least 10k more to add.

Urban Whole Foods in NYC have a very very big prepared foods, salad and deli sections to cater to office workers and I would venture to bet that this publix will too. The Harris teeter In 4th ward is not really like that.

Also Reid's was pretty successful in its early years uptown, but was a victim to the recession, and the rents downtown that prove to be rather unfriendly to the average local mom and pop.

I'm very familiar with both a downtown Publix (in Greenville, SC) and urban Whole Foods in NYC; I shop at both regularly. I don't think that so many grocery stores uptown can make it.