SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Hey Guys, does anyone find it amazing that in the time that Skyhouse has completed it's first tower (and is now ready to start on the second tower) that a small mid-rise project like Mercury NoDa is only  45% complete?  I swear I recall that Mercury NoDa's start date was well after Skyhouse Towers start. 

iow....how in the world is it possible to have a 23 story tower completed before a 4 story mid-rise??   Seems very odd 

Hey Guys, does anyone find it amazing that in the time that Skyhouse has completed it's first tower (and is now ready to start on the second tower) that a small mid-rise project like Mercury NoDa is only 45% complete? I swear I recall that Mercury NoDa's start date was well after Skyhouse Towers start.

iow....how in the world is it possible to have a 23 story tower completed before a 4 story mid-rise?? Seems very odd

Not odd at all. They literally regurgitate the same design time and time again. There are 20 towers using 3 designs and they have a formula. Mercury is sadly more customized. Lol

It is awesome that they have the construction details refined enough to repeat in such an efficient way.  I wonder how that affects the costs of one versus the other.  Obviously the cost of materials is more in the larger building, but with such efficient construction time, maybe labor costs are only a small degree more.

I can't wait to see people living in this.

They are building the curb and it definitely does not look like they are planning for any type of change to the 10th and Church intersection.  I'm sure redoing the curb when the city gets its act together will not be too expensive, but it is just a shame that it was not coordinated with the project.

The design of that intersection is as though the only path people are taking is from the freeway to the CBD.  It is very outdated and very inconvenient, but at least now we can just go through the internal streets at Skyhouse to get toward 11th. 

It is awesome that they have the construction details refined enough to repeat in such an efficient way.  I wonder how that affects the costs of one versus the other.  Obviously the cost of materials is more in the larger building, but with such efficient construction time, maybe labor costs are only a small degree more.

I can't wait to see people living in this.

They are building the curb and it definitely.

The forms they pour are completely identical on each project. So they barely have to create anything, they just pour concrete on each floor. The cost of materials and labor, might actually be slightly cheaper than Mercury. Framing a house, from experience, while it might not be rocket science, is more difficult than pouring concrete into pre-made forms. 

The forms they pour are completely identical on each project. So they barely have to create anything, they just pour concrete on each floor. Framing a house, from experience, while it might not be rocket science, is more difficult than pouring concrete into pre-made forms.

While they don't have to build all the forms, I would not say high rise concrete construction is easier than light framing. As a supervisor on pour day there are 4 places you need to be at the same time (slump test, pour site, vibration, and finishing) as well as communicating with the concrete plant.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with a leasing agent down at Taste of Charlotte. Publix is confirmed, if it wasn't already, and a veterinary clinic and restaurant/bar are also supposed to go in.

Cool on the veterinary clinic :) Necesity for locals.

And about Publix. How reliable are leasing agents? I would assume their information is not that reliable

I talked with a leasing agent down at Taste of Charlotte. Publix is confirmed, if it wasn't already, and a veterinary clinic and restaurant/bar are also supposed to go in.

Don't say "leasing agent", say "my contacts". It makes one sound so much more important.
  • Like 4

A vet clinic would be nice. There isn't one in uptown currently and if you live in Uptown and don't have a car, it is a pain in the ass to take your pet to the vet since they're not allowed on the light rail.

I agree. I am really happy about this, as it was definitely a problem when I didn't have a car.

I can't wait to see the news of Publix start to move from confirmed rumor to official announcement.  It's all been said, but I really think that will be a major contribution to making this area FINALLY grow.