SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

I talked with a few of the skyhouse ladies yesterday about publix and they gave me the impression that there is still much negotiating taking place before we'll hear any type of announcement.

So, I didn't get a straight "yes," but it's clearly going to happen in one form or another. It certainly seemed as if they weren't taken back by the question. I obviously was not the first to ask.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/06/what-about-charlotte-publix-may-debut-small-store.html

No new information, really. I wouldn't mind the smaller prototype store here if that meant perhaps a small office tower in the near future. Publix surely would draw other retail

(I think it'd be wise for Harris Teeter to just put a full sized grocer there instead of letting the competition gain even more prominence)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^^a full size HT uptown is not likely. Grocery retailers have a small margin of profit & therefore sales per sq ft come into play in where they locate. Plus HT already has several full fledged stores in surronding neighborhoods that many Uptown residents can use

^^a full size HT uptown is not likely. Grocery retailers have a small margin of profit & therefore sales per sq ft come into play in where they locate. Plus HT already has several full fledged stores in surronding neighborhoods that many Uptown residents can use

Well I guess that settles it, Publix will reign supreme uptown.

Well I guess that settles it, Publix will reign supreme uptown.

. Not if the reports are true about them placing a small urban store in this location since it will only be 2,000 sq ft bigger than HT. If anything Whole Foods will rule Uptown with it's full fledged store.

. Not if the reports are true about them placing a small urban store in this location since it will only be 2,000 sq ft bigger than HT. If anything Whole Foods will rule Uptown with it's full fledged store.

I really meant between Publix vs. Harris Teeter. Publix is making a huge splash in the region. Whole Foods isnt a huge threat to Harry. And i dont think it's been decided whether it will be full services or not. I would guess. Of though

My source told me 28-35k for the uptown store. I don't think it will be this new urban prototype. I could be wrong though. 

My source told me 28-35k for the uptown store. I don't think it will be this new urban prototype. I could be wrong though.

that would be nice for Uptown but Publix will have a hard time turning a profit at this location in the short term Edited by js4life

that would be nice for Uptown but Publix will have a hard time turning a profit at this location in the short term

I'm not so sure. There is a huge swath of land that doesn't have a grocery store supporting it to the north of uptown, and 1st ward garden district has a pretty big population and is cut off from the rest of the city by 277, not to mention 1000+ residents coming with Skyhouse alone. I think it will do just fine. When the light rail opens (around when Publix would open) I think this publix gets a good amount of business. I think it will put Harris Teeter out of business personally. 

Immediate profit at new locations isn't a huge concern for Publix. They are no strangers to placing stores in locations other grocers are afraid of and this approach has paid off for them on many occasions. By the time other chains catch up Publix is the one with the better locations and a fairly established customer base. Remember, they are a private company so they don't have to answer to share holders about store performance and they have boatloads of cash. They are way more interested in establishing presence and dominance in new markets than turning immediate profit.

• Like 2

Nailed it on the head with the post above. It is also why they are okay paying above market to get into new developments. They know the long-term game in grocery retailing are willing to get a better location for more money whereas the public guys will sometimes have to kick the can to close another quarter or year depending on earnings or other projects competing for limited money. 

I'm not so sure. There is a huge swath of land that doesn't have a grocery store supporting it to the north of uptown, and 1st ward garden district has a pretty big population and is cut off from the rest of the city by 277, not to mention 1000+ residents coming with Skyhouse alone. I think it will do just fine. When the light rail opens (around when Publix would open) I think this publix gets a good amount of business. I think it will put Harris Teeter out of business personally.

we will find out soon I guess. I'm very familiar with the grocery business in general & a full size store there is problematic especially if it includes a pharmacy but Publix has a good track record so I won't say it couldn't work.

I don't think it will put HT out of business, but it will force them to step up their game. The growth in 3rd Ward/Gateway will probably offset it a lot. For people who walk to the store, the closer store will probably win out more often than not.

While it's VERY exciting to hear about Publix, I'm probably more excited to hear about the vet clinic. I don't have a pet but uptown is such a blatantly under served market that I'm surprised there aren't multiple uptown vets. 

I agree that it won't likely put HT out of business but it will likely lead to price competition, which is good for residents of uptown which pay a high premium for groceries at the 6th St location.    They are a very profitable store, so they won't necessarily close up shop simply because of competition.  They will also likely still do well with a share of the market uptown, but will be hurt by the fact that the immediate vicinity of their store has already seen its growth come and be done, whereas the Tryon @9th location has significant growth potential with the county and Levine land and potentially new growth in Lower Noda/ Optimist Park.  

If it proves true that this is more comparable in size to HT and not a full size, it will at least help in the price competition and competition on intangibles like store design and customer service, etc.   Selection is not that significant of a problem for me, although I have had to request certain things be carried over the years, but I think they have the mix right, but prices are nutty. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they are, and the garage only has 1....being taken up by the veterinarian

You couldn't really ask anything more of them. One side will be bored by a parking garage and the other will border other buildings/Publix.

So all sides facing the street will have retail except a smaller portion. Too bad the same can't be said for other projects.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

Yeah they are, and the garage only has 1....being taken up by the veterinarian 

From what I understand all the "front Retail spots" can be subdivided into 2 spaces. 

remember when we were all just hoping for ONE grocery store of some size and now Publix and Whole Foods!!!......amazing. I have a feeling bigger things are about to start happening in Charlotte then we are considering....perhaps a few HQ relocations....? These are just thoughts off the to of my head but does anyone have that fuzzy feeling with all the apartment and office announcements lately? 

remember when we were all just hoping for ONE grocery store of some size and now Publix and Whole Foods!!!......amazing. I have a feeling bigger things are about to start happening in Charlotte then we are considering....perhaps a few HQ relocations....? These are just thoughts off the to of my head but does anyone have that fuzzy feeling with all the apartment and office announcements lately? 

I hope so, but without a defined economic incentive plan from the state, I don't have a lot of confidence in our ability to attract any HQs.

They seem to think if they just lower the tax rate, corporations will flock here. Hasn't happened. Won't happen. Corporations don't want low taxes, they want NO taxes, relocation assistance, your first born child, and first rights to your wife on your wedding day.

• Like 2

I hope so, but without a defined economic incentive plan from the state, I don't have a lot of confidence in our ability to attract any HQs.

They seem to think if they just lower the tax rate, corporations will flock here. Hasn't happened. Won't happen. Corporations don't want low taxes, they want NO taxes, relocation assistance, your first born child, and first rights to your wife on your wedding day.

Lol Prima Nocta?

The ideology of the North Carolina Senate is definitely putting a hitch in Charlotte's stride.

And I think they're happy about it.