SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

That reminds me of a quote from a lady at Fourth Ward Meeting who works with the NC Dance Theater ( I think), who had lived in Renaissance Place a few decades ago. She said 'what is there right now is an improvement' :).

I'm assuming she wasn't specifically referring to the alien art, but ot reminded me of that quote.

post-9752-1182801839_thumb.jpgpost-9752-1182801796_thumb.jpg[attachment=4103

June07_005.jpg]

These almost take on an artist flair for some alien growth! The Roots of Renaissance!

Looks like the stuff that's coming out of the walls over the bar area of The Alley Cat Rock and Roll Club. Anyone seen it?

Edited by Conformity

• 2 weeks later...

Any hotel component would be a part of the second phase and the likely footprint would be at 9th and Tryon.

Also, they said 200k - 300k sqft of office space.

For what it's worth, Colliers Pinkard is now pre-leasing 400,000 sq. ft. for this site. Maybe they increased the size due to demand, or maybe its just a number thrown out there by the leasing agent to see if any large tenants are shopping space.

Edit. BTW, space is going for $30/sf if UP is looking for their Uptown HQ.

• 1 month later...

First Charter (Charlotte's third largest bank) is getting acquired by Fifth Third (America's worst named bank) for about $1B. I wonder if this is more likely to result in a lease at this site? I would assume they would want a much more visible presence now that they are entering the market. They built (I think) a new tower in Nashville when acquiring a bank there.

At first, I thought this announcement might reduce the space plans here, as HQ jobs get moved to Cinnci. But I suppose it could also mean the opposite. It is good news that they did that in Nashville.

I actually like the name Fifth Third (it apparently comes from the merger of Third and Fifth National Banks), as it is unconventional and sparks a question.

It would be great if 5/3 could build or lease and put a lot of jobs this far north on Tryon. I think North Tryon could be just as significant as South Tryon is getting these days. But it needs to have a shot in the arm, as BofA is adding space in a campus-like cluster near their current buildings rather than continuing to spread north.

If we can get a decently-sized office tower on the Renaissance block, with condos behind it, and then a serious development on the Hal Marshall land, some momentum might return to North Tryon.

There is an interview in todays Biz Journal with the Fifth Third CEO joking about building a tower to rival BofA's and Wachovia's (not actually the plan but he has big expansion plans for the bank itself). Could someone who can read the whole article comment on whether he says anthing about the liklehood of any presence uptown?

Unfortunately it doesn't refer to the tower anywhere else after the first two paragraphs where is seems to say they won't be building a tower, but I'm not sure.

"Is it too late to build a third tower?" Kevin Kabat asks jokingly.

The chief executive of Fifth Third Bancorp is discussing his company's plans for Charlotte and North Carolina. And, no, the Cincinnati-based bank won't be building a Fifth Third Center uptown to rival the towers of Bank of America Corp. and Wachovia Corp.

Unfortunately it doesn't refer to the tower anywhere else after the first two paragraphs where is seems to say they won't be building a tower, but I'm not sure.

It said they won't build a tower that rivals Wachovia, and Bank of America

Edited by Miguel

It said they won't build a tower that rivals Wachovia, and Bank of America

While I can't imagine 5/3 Bank building a 50-60 story tower, I would be willing to bet they'll put up something of significance. Maybe a 30-40 story tower to make their presence known in Charlotte :) Especially considering how much they've been wanting to penetrate this market.

• 2 weeks later...

That is consistent with the ~25 story building that Furman said was being planned, with design by Duda Paine:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=784526

I wonder if the fact they are shopping the space means that the rumors that First Charter/Fifth Third might be going there. An optimist might say they are trying to heighten it on top of having an anchor tenant, but I'm not sure that is very realistic.

• 2 weeks later...