SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

1 hour ago, XRZ.ME said:

well I am glad they have confirmed what we have known for the past  year.  Publix is SLOW in building stores sometimes. 

says 15 story office building does that include parking floors stacked above the Publix with office space above the parking levels??

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

well I am glad they have confirmed what we have known for the past  year.  Publix is SLOW in building stores sometimes. 

says 15 story office building does that include parking floors stacked above the Publix with office space above the parking levels??

The press release was very unclear and really only addressed Publix. 

Parking? For Publix? While thinking about that I wonder what is the parking use for the Whole Foods on Stonewall? I have been there by car twice and there was plenty of parking in their small area.  Can anyone determine what proportion of clients arrive by auto?

How much parking would Publix need/expect at the skyhouse location?

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Parking? For Publix? While thinking about that I wonder what is the parking use for the Whole Foods on Stonewall? I have been there by car twice and there was plenty of parking in their small area.  Can anyone determine what proportion of clients arrive by auto?

How much parking would Publix need/expect at the skyhouse location?

I could see cars descending en masse for a new Publix.

• Like 3

The small Harris Teeter in 4th Ward wasn't built with enough parking even though they have about 40 dedicated retail spaces in the 5th& Popular condo deck.  Harris Teeter has to lease dedicated spaces in the surface lot Pine, and even that can get nearly full around after work hours.

This Publix is over twice the sq ft, and I would assume require at least 90.  FWIW, the East Blvd Teeter which I think is a 55k sq ft store has approx 200 spaces for the Teeter and still can be completely full.

The good news is some of the Publix spaces can be shared with the office, which is why they needed this lease signed, because their parking split helps subsidize the office parking cost to a economic level, given this office space will be at a rent discount to the other new Class A Uptown office buildings.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spartan said:

If you ever want Charlotte to be truly walkable, you have to have less parking so that walking/biking, etc. becomes a better option. If you make it easy to park, people will drive. Period. 

I would wager most of the uptown HT's customers walk there, but it's hard to say.

HT has a tiny parking deck which appears to only increase congestion around the store.

• Like 2

While this is good for the short term, long term it could be a handicap. Mega-cities like Miami, NYC, Seattle, and Chicago all have transit oriented urban planning. When you develop a area towards cars, you will be at a disadvantage years down the road. I think Charlotte has taken huge steps towards mass transit, but much more is to be done. If this is going to attract folks who don't have mass transit, that's fantastic. It should be seen as another amenity uptown can offer for prospects. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mpretori said:

While this is good for the short term, long term it could be a handicap. Mega-cities like Miami, NYC, Seattle, and Chicago all have transit oriented urban planning. When you develop a area towards cars, you will be at a disadvantage years down the road. I think Charlotte has taken huge steps towards mass transit, but much more is to be done. If this is going to attract folks who don't have mass transit, that's fantastic. It should be seen as another amenity uptown can offer for prospects. 

Eh Miami is a pretty auto centric metro. 

• Haha 1

Just now, mpretori said:

I know several in Brickell who don't have cars. They are investing billions in partnership with Virgin to connect parts of the city and to Disney and beyond. 

Well they aren't per se. The Brightline already goes to WPB. Outside Downtown and to a lesser extent south beach,  Miami is one of the most car dependent areas in the country. 

14 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Sure, it has density, but the development is still care centric. 

And I'm not comparing it to Charlotte I'm just saying if you are going to use 4 examples of dense non car dependent metro areas Miami woudn't be on my list. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

1 minute ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Sure, it has density, but the development is still care centric. 

And I'm not comparing it to Charlotte I'm just saying if you are going to use 4 examples of dense non car dependent metro areas Miami woudn't be on my list. 

Miami is the 4th most walkable large city in the US with 399,457 residents.

https://www.walkscore.com/FL/Miami

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I went to 2 urban Publixes in Brickell in downtown Miami one had a garage as was on the ground floor of a tall condo tower and other on the edge of Brickell had a surface lot right by the Metro rail.

Anyway this Charlotte uptown Publix needs parking for the foreseeable future as I mentioned there is quite a food desert to the north and northeast of uptown this store will serve that community as well as those that can walk.  One idea I saw from my last trip to Miami was a walk up window for subs in the Brickell location.  Love to see that on Tryon. 

the new downtown Raleigh Publix store in the Peace project will have parking too.  As for Whole Foods uptown I have seen people drive there (other than me) as they live in close in neighborhoods nearby.  a car is necessary in Charlotte for the long foreseeable future whether some like or not.  

Nobody is talking about not having a parking garage. If you are going to have the bolded mindset, then cars paradise for the future! Thankfully here in Seattle, CEO's and City Leaders put a emphasis on mass transit. Soon light rail will go from the airport all the way to Microsoft in Redmond.  

Edited by mpretori