SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have not seen this new brochure with the dates of opening and construction all laid out.  Who is this 55,000 sq ft office anchor tenant is that Bank of America as rumored?   Very interesting and

Welp, they just applied for building permits today.

Looking up Church Street and those SkyHouses are really big when you look at them this way. Over 700 apartments in the 2 towers. 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I went to 2 urban Publixes in Brickell in downtown Miami one had a garage as was on the ground floor of a tall condo tower and other on the edge of Brickell had a surface lot right by the Metro rail.

Anyway this Charlotte uptown Publix needs parking for the foreseeable future as I mentioned there is quite a food desert to the north and northeast of uptown this store will serve that community as well as those that can walk.  One idea I saw from my last trip to Miami was a walk up window for subs in the Brickell location.  Love to see that on Tryon. 

the new downtown Raleigh Publix store in the Peace project will have parking too.  As for Whole Foods uptown I have seen people drive there (other than me) as they live in close in neighborhoods nearby.  a car is necessary in Charlotte for the long foreseeable future whether some like or not.  

Nobody is talking about not having a parking garage. If you are going to have the bolded mindset, then cars paradise for the future! Thankfully here in Seattle, CEO's and City Leaders put a emphasis on mass transit. Soon light rail will go from the airport all the way to Microsoft in Redmond.  

Edited by mpretori
9 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

Such an apples to oranges comparison it’s stupid. 

Good luck getting tenants (or financing) without parking in Charlotte. 

Keep increasing density and keep reasonably expanding transit and progress will continue. That’s the path Charlotte is on and that’s great.   I’d love transit to be more of a focus but it’s a difficult balance. 

Cities like Seattle have a several decades head start. It is what it is 

The poster said Charlotte would be a car dependent city in the long term. If you are going to have a mindset of cars first, then that's what you will get. Seattle was about the same size as Charlotte once  upon a time, before Amazon's boom. Seattle took drastic steps towards infrastructure investment. 

Edit: If you watched the video, Expedia still has a parking garage, it's just market rate. BUT they were able to add a beautiful park that would have been taken up by a parking deck if they gave everyone in the company a free parking spot. The majority of the workforce take mass transit or carpool. May as well build something in the suburbs where most activities require a car.

Edited by mpretori

Horse trough/hitch things went away when people stopped riding horses. Our parking decks will go away when car ownership fades to subscription service (or possibly serve as subscription service storage.) In the longterm, I like the concept of this to prevent a bunch of empty decks everywhere one day: https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-car-future-real-estate-20170405-story.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From permitting app:

Sounds a little different from renderings we've seen so far. 

"Ten Tryon will be a mixed-use high-rise located on North Tryon Street, between 9th and 10th Streets. It will have a three level parking garage over a ground floor grocery store. There will be a large open-air terrace on top of the parking garage with a single story restaurant/entertainment building on the 10th Street end, and an office tower on the 9th Street end.

The project will be phased and submitted for permits in separate packages. Phase 1 will include Levels 1-6, which includes the grocery shell, parking, and additional shell/core spaces for the office tower, Level 6 restaurant, and ground level retail. Phase 2 will include the office tower and upfit of spaces associated with that use in Phase 1."

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, 49er said:

From permitting app:

Sounds a little different from renderings we've seen so far. 

"Ten Tryon will be a mixed-use high-rise located on North Tryon Street, between 9th and 10th Streets. It will have a three level parking garage over a ground floor grocery store. There will be a large open-air terrace on top of the parking garage with a single story restaurant/entertainment building on the 10th Street end, and an office tower on the 9th Street end.

The project will be phased and submitted for permits in separate packages. Phase 1 will include Levels 1-6, which includes the grocery shell, parking, and additional shell/core spaces for the office tower, Level 6 restaurant, and ground level retail. Phase 2 will include the office tower and upfit of spaces associated with that use in Phase 1."

Interesting, sounds like they scrapped the hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

But is there even enough people in this area to support an apple store? I feel like it would be a better fit in Southend.

lol I was just being sarcastic...since there was an intense Apple/retail discussion going on in the B Tower thread (should have used blue text).  Only Apples being sold in this area will be inside the Publix.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

lol I was just being sarcastic...since there was an intense Apple/retail discussion going on in the B Tower thread (should have used blue text).  Only Apples being sold in this area will be inside the Publix.  

My bad I was totally being sarcastic too, still haven't gotten a hang of the blue text. Super excited about another grocery store close to the blue line though!

• Haha 1
  • dubone changed the title to SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward