SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

250 units with room for a build-to-suit 150ksf-350ksf office project on Tryon. It is certainly no revival of the beautiful Duda Paine tower, but still more than a low rise apartment project. Seems more like a 8-10ish story building, but others may need to correct me.

As for the 10th St extension, the city certainly missed a very good opportunity to do that. I don't know why they make plans in the first place if they are going to do so little about them. It is an absolutely obvious thing to allow 10th to connect normally to Tryon, as hundreds of cars a day do it illegally now.

As for the 10th St extension, the city certainly missed a very good opportunity to do that. I don't know why they make plans in the first place if they are going to do so little about them. It is an absolutely obvious thing to allow 10th to connect normally to Tryon, as hundreds of cars a day do it illegally now.

Grubb's multi-family project leaves the former Days Inn on the other half of this block. The apartments will only have a full block face on 10th, while half blocks on Tryon and Church. I would imagine it's even harder to ask a half-block development to give up land to extend a wider 10th Street than it was from the prior full-block proposal.

If still seeking to repair the grid, there remains a low-cost fix. The section of the landscaped median closest to the intersection of 10th & Church could just be clipped back a bit. However, my understanding is Fourth Ward leaders nixed that idea. And now that the City has picked all the small street projects to be completed prior to DNC, it may be awhile before this issue is ever re-visited.

I'd be fine with that, although I still the city would benefit from a median all the way through. The city just needs to fix that failed experiment now that it is not just commuters coming in and being funneled to Church. Now it is people living in the neighborhood that need to go east, and with the Graham exit only connecting to points west, it is clusterfudge to go east, so people tend to jump across.

• 7 months later...

Heard today from a reliable source that Novare will be bringing their SkyHouse apartment tower concept to this site.  They are building them in Atlanta, Austin, Orlando and I think Raleigh.  All the other cities are 23 stories with a separate parking deck.  Heard the one at this site is between 25-30 stories, so hopefully that means they will stack the parking. 

Based on that size, we should see 300' or so, which would make it almost as tall as Odell (525 N Tryon) next door. 

I don't think the office tower is happening yet, but they are supposedly leaving room one fronting Tryon.  I assume this apartment tower fronts longway along N Church.  Hopefully they clad the bottom in brick for at least the bottom 6-8 stories like Avenue.

• Like 1

That is great news!

I sure hope it is part of starting some development momentum back up on North Tryon.  Maybe in conjunction with the construction of 9th St Station on the Blue Line.   It is also great for edging the skyline a bit north.  I sure hope the developer will leave enough room for some form of the Duda Paine-designed office tower, even if market conditions dictate a smaller scale compared to the original. 

The planned density of the residential portion in this plan would be much higher than the Furman project, which was described to Friends of Fourth Ward as being something like 6-10 stories.  It is great news as far as keeping the Church and Tryon blocks dense.  It's not a huge deal, but I secretly hoped 10th would be extended with its median to Tryon or the Lynx line in order to make that intersection seem more important than it does now, but it isn't really a huge deal compared to turning the rubble into something great.

Here's hoping they are not too late to the high rise apartment boom as the original developers were too late to the bank office tower boom.

• Like 1

Yea, I'm in the "I don't love it or hate it" group too. Would be nice to have something more unique looking but it's not awful either. It also stretches the CLT skyline a bit to the north some more which I think someone else mentioned. 25-30 stories is a good size too, especially for residential. Wonder if we'll see more projects announced in this area with the LYNX BLE extension set to get under way. I think we're already starting to see a bit of an uptown apartment boom, with the tower next to the Catalyst set to break ground.

Edited by wend28

Thank goodness we didn't have anything close to brutalist in the recent growth.  Novare style is certainly fine, especially because it isn't EXACTLY like Catalyst, it is simply 'in the style of'.  I am actually more or less excited that Novare is involved, as they did a very decent job of balancing speed, low cost, and providing housing of value to the market.   I know people who bought in Fifth and Poplar that are very dissatisfied with their community, but people always seem to love their places in Avenue and Catalyst.  If 4th Ward/North Tryon can get a Novare project that has costs contained enough to be decent for rent pricing, this project will do amazingly.

Is it possible that they would build the residential tower with parking on Tryon with the ability to add an office tower over that parking?  Or is it something that is more likely to be left as purely developable land almost like they're separate parcels.   Levine's pretend project at 11th and Brevard is designed that way, with the parking deck for the residential project being a placeholder for future office development over top of it.  

I remember how seemingly complicated it was for Novare to build their parking deck underneath the residential tower, and something they obviously avoided with Catalyst.   The added height and flexibility for the office component would absolutely be a good thing, but I'm curious given that the office component does not feel like it is something imminent.  

I'm glad that this project is getting off the ground and that it will fill in another empty block on N Tryon.

However I really hope that the developer commits to aligning 10th St so that it matches up on both sides of Church St. It will be nice to not have to look 4 ways to make sure there are no police around when you make the illegal left turn to stay on 10th St.

• Like 1

I agree about 10th, plus a full service intersection would help the project, so I suspect they'll try to help make it happen.

Now the big question will be whether atlrvr is correct on height or CBJ.  I suspect CBJ may just be figuring it'd be the same height has all the other similar projects, but without recognizing the parking may not fit the same way as their midtown Atlanta or Orlando projects.