SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Nice start for the new year.  I like the rendering.  The barrel roof or whatever the official name is a nice touch.  I am so glad the buildings downtown, sorry, uptown, have a variety of tops.  Here in Nashville, we have one distinctive building, the Batman (AT&T) building.  The others are pretty much flat. 

Nice start for the new year.  I like the rendering.  The barrel roof or whatever the official name is a nice touch.  I am so glad the buildings downtown, sorry, uptown, have a variety of tops.  Here in Nashville, we have one distinctive building, the Batman (AT&T) building.  The others are pretty much flat. 

FWIW, I think the Pinnacle is a beautiful building. It may be "boxy" in mass, but it really stands out as one of the most distinct in the skyline.

I'm glad that this project is getting off the ground and that it will fill in another empty block on N Tryon.

However I really hope that the developer commits to aligning 10th St so that it matches up on both sides of Church St. It will be nice to not have to look 4 ways to make sure there are no police around when you make the illegal left turn to stay on 10th St.

I'd like to see them required to allow room to extend the 10th St cross section with the old streetcar median through to Tryon.

I love the rendering above, but I didn't know that they had released info about what it would look like. The article in the C.O. this morning mentioned that the design of the actual building was still being considered.

The name SkyHouse is being used in various cities.  The rendering above is from SkyHouse Midtown Atlanta that is under construction.

^ I'd actually prefer if this one stayed in the core of buildings instead of moving north.  I don't want an elongated skyline like Atlanta.  I want a super dense core like Vancouver.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Charlotte's Downtown (inside 277) is not that big - which btw is what I would call the core.   No matter where a building goes in that area it will still appear to be part of a compact downtown.

If anything I think the rendering (which I love) increases the appearance of a dense downtown area.

Edited by Urbanity

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Charlotte's Downtown (inside 277) is not that big - which btw is what I would call the core.   No matter where a building goes in that area it will still appear to be part of a compact downtown.

If anything I think the rendering (which I love) increases the appearance of a dense downtown area.

I agree.  I also consider "inside 277" as the core, I didn't really think that post through.  What I would love is for us to fill it.  I guess I should have said I don't want it (our skyline) extending north or south and splitting over 277 kind like Atlanta has to deal with 85/75 crossing through the middle of their urban center, creating a "midtown" and "downtown".

Imagine for example, if you were to pod up Midtown, Downtown and Buckhead Atlanta.  It would actually be a very imposing skyline.

So yes, that render looks awesome.  And I hope we keep it rolling.  And I hope it stays inside 277.  Hope, hope, hope.

With Baseball, Football, Epicenter, Arena, Romare Bearden, Aquatic Center, Light Rail Stops, streetcar stops, NC Music Factory, etc. all within 277, I find it hard for developers to build a high rises outside of 277.

SouthEnd's low rise development is centered on being able to hop on a light rail to uptown. Shows how hot uptown is doing these days. I think we can finally call the CBD a "destination". I hear lots and lots of people raving about if they had the money, they'd live in uptown and everyone these days is love going to uptown. I know even people in their 40's who'd do anything to live in a Highrise downtown. (and they're not urban enthusiast like say myself).

I'm loving this year already :)

• Like 1

The developer had a hard time acquiring the Days Inn site during the bubble for the original project.  I can't stand that Days Inn, but it is possibly good that it remains as a separate parcel, as we will end up with a separate project eventually that can go there later contributing to higher density in the long run.

^^^Agree with this.   

I do wonder if at some point long down the road (10+ years) if the N Tryon strip is bustling would the city pursue eminent domain over the Days Inn property.  Obviously you can't do that simply for the sake of wanting a prettier building, but I can imagine the city making a case (real or not) about the motel causing crime concerns.

The developer had a hard time acquiring the Days Inn site during the bubble for the original project.  I can't stand that Days Inn, but it is possibly good that it remains as a separate parcel, as we will end up with a separate project eventually that can go there later contributing to higher density in the long run.

It actually has not been a Days Inn for over a year.  I believe Binaco has a lease on the land, the land it owned by the Broyhill (?) family.

I walk past it constantly, but did not notice the change from Days Inn to City Inn.  It does say something, though, that during boom years they were not able to come to an agreement to buy that parcel, which the developers obviously wanted badly (nothing like putting up a 30 story bank headquarters -- the original plan for the Renaissance Place site-- with a cheap sleazy motel next door).  

I still hold, though, that in the long run we are better off if they are separately developed.   For example, if it was part of the development site now, I would see them NOT stacking parking for the Sky House like Novare did for Catalyst.  Having a slightly tighter parcel means they will do things in a denser format, leaving a future developer to do something next door also in a denser format.