SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

Don't quite understand the frustration. Aren't we already getting two residential towers, office, retail and a Publix ?

Developers should stick to what was originally proposed despite what the market or financial markets for funding propose. Wait as long as it takes for them to get a bank loan for apartments and an hotel...even if it is 10 more years! 

/sarcasm 

27 minutes ago, dcharlotte said:

Developers should stick to what was originally proposed despite what the market or financial markets for funding propose. Wait as long as it takes for them to get a bank loan for apartments and an hotel...even if it is 10 more years! 

/sarcasm 

Fair. I Just don't like office here. Seems like an odd place. Though "above a publix" certainly is a selling point, and if this gets the Publix off the ground, then so be it. I'll take the office space. I just think its a better location for hotel and residential, since its a primarily residential area. Makes me wonder who will get the Hotel Indigo that was signed on there, maybe they will shift their focus to Carolina Theatre. 

I'm ok with primarily office here but it is a bummer that it probably won't have the architectural variety that all the uses in these renderings show. We already have a lot of residential on the block from the 2 Skyhouses, but I do think not building the hotel is a big missed opportunity, and the most surprising to me that it can't get done. 

Jayvee's update post said something about a phase 2 of office, so is it possible that we still see something like the massing of these renderings, just with a second office building? Does it shift the Publix over to one side of the site? He also mentioned more retail, so if that's significant I will take it as a decent consolation. 

10 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I'm ok with primarily office here but it is a bummer that it probably won't have the architectural variety that all the uses in these renderings show. We already have a lot of residential on the block from the 2 Skyhouses, but I do think not building the hotel is a big missed opportunity, and the most surprising to me that it can't get done. 

Jayvee's update post said something about a phase 2 of office, so is it possible that we still see something like the massing of these renderings, just with a second office building? Does it shift the Publix over to one side of the site? He also mentioned more retail, so if that's significant I will take it as a decent consolation. 

I don't think we will have to worry about the architectural variety as much. Furman cares about this city. 

1 hour ago, dcharlotte said:

/sarcasm 

What are your thoughts on developers going the path of EpiCenter by design?  

Build the base for Publix and stop.  Wait for market or funding changes to occur and then do a second phase?  Is that even plausible?

27 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

What are your thoughts on developers going the path of EpiCenter by design?  

Build the base for Publix and stop.  Wait for market or funding changes to occur and then do a second phase?  Is that even plausible?

Phase One is 30k sq foot Publix plus 86k of office, plus additional retail, probably 10k sq feet.. Phase Two is however much Office, I'd assume 150-200k. There is demand for boutique office in uptown. 86k is a pretty safe amount to develop, doesn't take much to secure enough small leases to meet the break even point, unlike Tryon Place, where you have 950k (whats being advertised right now) to try to fill 40% of. 

Honestly, I'll just be disappointed with anything less than 20 floors for phase 2. I just remember what was originally proposed, and want that kind of height on this side of uptown.

image1-5.JPG

Edited by Guest

I too am disappointed in the seclusion of the tower in the rendering simply because of the design.  I was excited for a bit more architectural variety in Uptown.  Even the SREE tower looks homogenous with the loss of its balconies.  We don't need more flat glass walls, we need more texture and depth.

• Like 1

I was once slightly unhappy that office plans were scrapped after the project was revived after the recession, so I can tap into that sentiment and be happy that office is being revived here, especially if the Publix remains.   Tryon is out best office address and with so many residential units on that block, having office there will make sure that those units and the residential neighborhoods of 1st and 4th Wards will have people wanting to live there for convenience.   The only people I have ever personally known to live in Skyhouse both worked on North Tryon.   Condos would have been good if they could be sold, but that market is still a big question mark.  Hotels are popping up everywhere lately, and may not have competed well being farther from the center of action.  

To me, the Publix and office (presuming it gets filled with jobs) will be a bigger catalyst for the Levine and Hal Marshall no-mans-land, especially since the residential component is more than covered.    

The Publix being larger than Teeter will be a major boost to 1st and 4th Wards for sure.   The uptown Teeter is not terrible, as there has rarely been something I've wanted that was not there (short of a few hiccups after the krogerfication where they stopped carrying good cheese and butter)  but price competition is helpful (although I actually had sticker shock going to Publix southend yesterday, so I don't think the uptown teet is as expensive as some imply).    I still would hope that it triggers something in some leadership somewhere to rebuild a bigger Harris Teeter, though, as it's not 2003 anymore in uptown Charlotte.  It's unlikely, as usually the incumbents want to ride out the status quo, but they'd compete far better if they got involved in the project across Pine and built a more standard sized store.   Regardless they have plenty of market closer to their location to keep them alive.   But for me personally, I will likely become a Publix shopper given my location and elevation (not carrying bags uphill).    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, cjolley92 said:

A file for a UMUD appeared in Accela today for 10 Tryon. I noticed last week that signs with renderings are now fronting this site at both corners. What is the latest on this development from David Furman and the Publix situation?

Skyhouse II makes an impact on the skyline when approaching uptown from Independence. Cookie-cutter design, but I'm appreciative of the density it gives N. Tryon.large.Skyhouse_Charlotte-20161231-174833.jpg

Sounds to me like Phase 1, office and Publix, is a go. I imagine the building will be developed with no tenants signed. The market has been really friendly to boutique office projects, and I suspect this will be fully spec, much like 1616 and 500 East Morehead. 

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Thats an old rendering. This is more updated

10tryon-750xx5100-2869-0-216.jpg

It's hard to say for sure, but it seems like the scale on the lower 30-40ft is a little off. The building as a whole is lacking something that I can't really describe. It's like its missing an element that brings everything together even though it has all of the contemporary BS:

• Poorly placed materials/colors (though the materials/colors themselves are pretty good)
  • Awkward scaling (mainly the lower levels with the brick/window placement)
  • Neo-International style windows
  • Inexplicable protruding framing of large sections of windows
  • Absurdly thin/out-of-scale exposed concrete columns
  • Aysmmetry everywhere
  • I also don't care for the letters everywhere, but at least they are consistent in number
    • KKKK
    • VVVV
    • XXXX

I can probably think of more, but suffice it to say that I'm not satisfied with this building design. I also get annoyed with only showing renderings from angles that most people will never see. Show me what it will look like from the sidewalk or from down the block too - not just the view from the Hal Marshal parking lot.

That said, I am excited about the Publix and additional density. Those will be a great addition to uptown.

5 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

That resembles 1616 Camden.

And every other apartment building. It's just an unexciting contemporary/modern style.

• Like 2