SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Lol.  I didn't notice the letters (K,V, and X) until you mentioned it.  That is interesting.  Aside from that, I don't mind the building.  At least it is different.  The contemporary/modern style seems appropriate for the scale of the building in my opinion.  I agree if it was 50 feet taller it might be too much, but at its current height it seems just right to me.  As HopHead said, it is way better than AvidExchange.  The building adds a different flare.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Spartan said:

It's hard to say for sure, but it seems like the scale on the lower 30-40ft is a little off. The building as a whole is lacking something that I can't really describe. It's like its missing an element that brings everything together even though it has all of the contemporary BS:

• Poorly placed materials/colors (though the materials/colors themselves are pretty good)
  • Awkward scaling (mainly the lower levels with the brick/window placement)
  • Neo-International style windows
  • Inexplicable protruding framing of large sections of windows
  • Absurdly thin/out-of-scale exposed concrete columns
  • Aysmmetry everywhere
  • I also don't care for the letters everywhere, but at least they are consistent in number
    • KKKK
    • VVVV
    • XXXX

I can probably think of more, but suffice it to say that I'm not satisfied with this building design. I also get annoyed with only showing renderings from angles that most people will never see. Show me what it will look like from the sidewalk or from down the block too - not just the view from the Hal Marshal parking lot.

That said, I am excited about the Publix and additional density. Those will be a great addition to uptown.

And every other apartment building. It's just an unexciting contemporary/modern style.

I guess architectural beauty is in the eye of the beholder (see the nearby UNCC building as another example of being loved/hated).  Put me in the category of loving this one (especially the latest design).  I think asymmetry is a good thing!

Regarding 1616 Camden, it's an office/retail building (not apartments).  It's not as nice as this, IMO, but it does bear a resemblance.  Love it or hate it, it looks nothing like most of the new apartments in Charlotte.

• Like 1

That's what drives me nuts about Charlotte. For a city that has torn down so much of its past, and truly has a 'blank slate' -- what we are building back up is with few exceptions so dull and similar.

A real opportunity for unique architectural character instead produces the same subpar schlock over and over.

But hey, it's better than parking lots :tw_expressionless:

Edited by Matthew.Brendan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JBS said:

I guess architectural beauty is in the eye of the beholder (see the nearby UNCC building as another example of being loved/hated).  Put me in the category of loving this one (especially the latest design).  I think asymmetry is a good thing!

Regarding 1616 Camden, it's an office/retail building (not apartments).  It's not as nice as this, IMO, but it does bear a resemblance.  Love it or hate it, it looks nothing like most of the new apartments in Charlotte.

As a point of clarification - I don't dislike asymmetry. I think it's a good thing when done well and used appropriately. This design relies heavily on asymmetry as a crutch for either laziness or lack of creativity (not sure which), which I don't like.

Also, it's really more of a fact than an opinion that it looks like most of the apartments (and offices) being constructed lately. What's worse is that some of the renovations going on also include it and other features. The main similarity being the large framing of miscellaneous windows or sections of the building. That design feature in and of itself is going to be a hallmark of building design in the 2010's and - here's the opinion - something people will look back at and say "what the hell were they thinking?" I think that while it does look flashy and somewhat appealing now, it won't stand the test of time as good design overall.

Just in uptown you have 1BAC, the renovated BofA Plaza, the renovated Independence Building, Circa Uptown (Graham & MLK), 300 S Tryon, Whole Foods, etc. South End and other parts of town have even more.

This is mainly why I tend to focus my "rage" on things that impact the pedestrian environment and good urban design, which are typically on the pedestrian level/scale. These are the things that do more to shape the feel and walkability or urbanness of a city than the stuff up high. Look at 129 W Trade. It's a hideous building, but it has great urban design at the ground level so it's not a detriment to the sidewalk life.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Then why start through the approval process last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean I more than anyone want to see this go forward...  Dont remember how exactly it was phrased but it doesnt seem like the office plans are a go.

I mean I more than anyone want to see this go forward...  Dont remember how exactly it was phrased but it doesnt seem like the office plans are a go.

Interesting. I'll see if I can get a word with the developer on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/15/2017 at 10:07 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Interesting. I'll see if I can get a word with the developer on Monday.

I don't know if it was up before but there is now a sign on site with a rendering advertising the new project.  That could be an indication that it's still a go.

There is also a sign for this a block away from Skyhouse:

http://www.staccato7.com/

Noticed both on my run today and never saw either previously.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBS said:

I don't know if it was up before but there is now a sign on site with a rendering advertising the new project.  That could be an indication that it's still a go.

yea I'm excited about staccato7. Trying to convince my wife to let me buy one.

On January 20, 2017 at 5:35 PM, JBS said:

I hope it's still a go, but Tryon Place had a sign (and a website) with a rendering advertising the project and Tryon Place remains in limbo.  Obviously, the scale of TP and the project next to Skyhouse is not an apples to apples comparison.  Again, I hope this project moves forward.  Thanks for sharing what you saw on your run.

I know people are questioning whether this is moving forward, I'm not sure about that. All I know is I have updated renderings. (not the best quality) 

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.39.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.38.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.36.58 AM.png

Edited by Guest