SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

If I was Harris Teeter I would stay in 4th Ward or along West Trade corridor to serve that end of uptown.  And it is possible the Tiny Teeter stays put and a full sized store is built elsewhere within the loop. What about the Lennar project?  Anyway exciting times in Uptown Charlotte for sure. And I predict you will see an urban format QuikTrip like the one they are doing in Atlanta's Midtown https://whatnowatlanta.com/quiktrip-to-bring-convenience-store-only-concept-to-midtown/

I was just in Midtown Atlanta the other day and saw the QT. That whole intersection is so cool, Charlotte could really use something like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kirby60 said:

I was just in Midtown Atlanta the other day and saw the QT. That whole intersection is so cool, Charlotte could really use something like that

Not a good idea putting a 7/11 type facility in the center of Charlotte. A QT would be fine around the baseball park, but not near the square. It would be an eyesore. 

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

If I was Harris Teeter I would stay in 4th Ward or along West Trade corridor to serve that end of uptown.  And it is possible the Tiny Teeter stays put and a full sized store is built elsewhere within the loop. What about the Lennar project?  Anyway exciting times in Uptown Charlotte for sure. And I predict you will see an urban format QuikTrip like the one they are doing in Atlanta's Midtown https://whatnowatlanta.com/quiktrip-to-bring-convenience-store-only-concept-to-midtown/

If another Harris Teeter opens in 4th ward I find it unlikely the corner store would stay open, BUT look at the positive, this opens up a perfect location for many other types of retail. Perhaps a Walgreens to compete with the CVS one block away, or one of those urban format QuikTrips. Both of those, especially Walgreens would love a corner location. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

That looks neat

I think RDF posted a zoomed in version of this previously, but if I am not mistaken I don't believe the zoomed out version has been posted from this angle. Jason Thomas used it in an article today.  It gives some different perspective to the size of the project, and the 13 floors are easy to distinguish on the south tower.  I know there are some dissenters among us, but I still like this project.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/80515/10tryon-will-begin-constructing-funky-office-space-publix-summer/

10Tryon.jpg

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I think RDF posted a zoomed in version of this previously, but if I am not mistaken I don't believe the zoomed out version has been posted from this angle. Jason Thomas used it in an article today.  It gives some different perspective to the size of the project, and the 13 floors are easy to distinguish on the south tower.  I know there are some dissenters among us, but I still like this project.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/80515/10tryon-will-begin-constructing-funky-office-space-publix-summer/

10Tryon.jpg

Yea I cropped these images so they wouldn't be the exact images I was sent. LOL,  a loop hole thats probably not a loop hole.

On 2/7/2017 at 5:36 PM, navigator319 said:

This Publix is going to put the mini HT Uptown out of business.  Whole Foods got the south end covered and Publix the north.

I doubt it. It will force HT to get their prices in line with other stores and find ways to compete. 

On 2/7/2017 at 5:48 PM, nakers2 said:

Lets think positive here, maybe HT will see the need to open a full sized location somewhere uptown, or the pedestrian crowd would still prefer the "corner store" location of the mini HT. 

Exactly.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:16 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Its the only place that makes sense. I wonder if along stonewall closer towards midtown. 

My first thought was Gateway Station or the Polk State Building site. There are also other locations in uptown (and 4th ward) where there could be hypothetical buildings with hypothetical grocery stores we just don't know about yet.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:31 AM, Niner National said:

Uptown really isn't all that far off from having as many options within a one mile radius when compared to other areas. 

You have / will soon have: HT, Publix, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Target, BJs.

I think it's important to consider the context of each of these stores relative to HT. 

Right now, the only store that actually serves uptown residents is HT. The reason is because it's the only store within a reasonable walking distance to the bulk of Uptown's residential market in 3rd and 4th Wards. There are a lot of people who drive there too, but the pedestrian traffic is actually quite high. The city installed the traffic signal at 6th & Pine because it met "pedestrian traffic warrants" - and that's a technical term for a ridiculously high volume of pedestrians crossing the street. You almost never see a traffic signal get installed because there are more pedestrians than cars. Additionally, HT replaced the three cashiers near the pedestrian entrance with 6 self-checkout stations to help deal with the hoards of people. Pedestrian traffic is key for the Uptown Teeter. 

TJ's, BJ's, and Target are all outside of the loop. They are convenient to uptown residents who choose to drive, but it's not likely that many uptown residents walk there outside of maybe some in 1st Ward. Personally, as an uptown resident, I rarely use those stores for groceries because HT is so much more convenient, and parking is a pain in the ass (especially at TJ's).

Whole Foods will have a lot of drive-to traffic (because it's Whole Foods) and most pedestrian traffic will come from workers who are taking the LRT to the south anyway and just stop off for some expensive groceries. IMO, this store chose its location more because of proximity to the interstate and Dilworth than they did because there are people living uptown. I'm not saying that's wrong - but I think the market for WF is different. Case in point, as an uptown resident, I don't have much interest in walking all the way over there to buy $14 asparagus water when I can walk to HT in less than 5 minutes. 

Publix, on the other hand, is in a good situation to compete with HT for the uptown grocery market. It probably won't attract as many 3rd Ward pedestrians as HT, but 1st Ward will finally have a store within a reasonable walking distance. From that standpoint, I could see HT wanting to open up a full-size store in uptown as well. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Regardless, it's great to finally see more functional urban retail.

20 hours ago, mpretori said:

There is already a 7/11 in uptown.

There are two - one on MLK across from RB Park and the other is on Cedar at Gateway Village.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

What is the back going to look like.  A bit of a view change for the lower 15 floors on the towers behind this...

Not a nice rendering like the front views but here is the view from the alley that will run between Skyhouse and 10Tryon

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 11:17 AM, EngineerCLT said:

Not a nice rendering like the front views but here is the view from the alley that will run between Skyhouse and 10Tryon

Capture.JPG

Thanks for posting this. It's too bad alleys these days can't be made cooler. Looks like this will be more or less consistent with the other uptown alleys.

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple months since permitting started on Furman's project.  Any news about it and the Publix?

For Skyhouse, I know a number of people who have moved in and moved out, some before their lease ended.   Hopefully the leasing and community inside the first building is stabilizing.  I've heard that management is surveying ex-residents to see how they can improve it.   It will not be a good thing for 4th Ward if the two buildings that are now a sizable chuck of the population of the neighborhood can't find a good balance of residents.  

I am hoping that the grocery store will help add enough draw to the area to make it more worthwhile. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dubone said:

It's been a couple months since permitting started on Furman's project.  Any news about it and the Publix?

For Skyhouse, I know a number of people who have moved in and moved out, some before their lease ended.   Hopefully the leasing and community inside the first building is stabilizing.  I've heard that management is surveying ex-residents to see how they can improve it.   It will not be a good thing for 4th Ward if the two buildings that are now a sizable chuck of the population of the neighborhood can't find a good balance of residents.  

I am hoping that the grocery store will help add enough draw to the area to make it more worthwhile. 

10 Tryon submitted a new UMUD today for some reason. They are on pace to break ground in July or late summer 

1 hour ago, dubone said:

Any insight into why people are moving out so quickly?

1 hour ago, dubone said:

What feedback were you given, or too controversial?  An adjacent grocery would help but don't see how that would be a reason with the HT a few blocks away, and other options.

1 hour ago, dubone said:

the people I know had different reasons.  The main theme was luxury pricing, but they did not feel like the amenities and neighbor's behavior were up to that level (people acting badly). 

I have noticed this problem in other apartment complexes as well. You would think that the higher the rent the less crazy the tenants, but this isn't the case.

• Like 1