SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

So are they only going down one level?  It seems that they have leveled out and are starting to build up again.  I thought they'd go deeper down but I guess there are additional ventilation and waterproofing and other issues beyond a single level basement level. Hopefully they don't hit parking issues if they end up attracting an office tenant that wants more than 10-15 stories.  

So are they only going down one level?  It seems that they have leveled out and are starting to build up again.  I thought they'd go deeper down but I guess there are additional ventilation and waterproofing and other issues beyond a single level basement level. Hopefully they don't hit parking issues if they end up attracting an office tenant that wants more than 10-15 stories.  

Their permits were definitely for two, maybe you are underestimating how far down they are?

Edit: I'm looking at the webcam and it definitely looks like 2 levels down to me.

Edited by Guest

The more I look and think about this piece of land and what is being developed on it the more I keep coming back to this seems like a wasted opportunity. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I just can't shake that feeling.

I am okay with it, but I feel like the parking desk should have been buried, the towers should have been stacked, and there should be a large retail plaza, an office tower, hotel and a small park. Edited by Guest

Their permits were definitely for two, maybe you are underestimating how far down they are?

Edit: I'm looking at the webcam and it definitely looks like 2 levels down to me.

I see now.  I guess I saw just the lighter concrete as underground but now I see the second story.

The more I look and think about this piece of land and what is being developed on it the more I keep coming back to this seems like a wasted opportunity.  I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I just can't shake that feeling. 

Well with the resident amenity roof on top of the deck, they are able to count that as their open space, so they won't have to add any ceremonial plaza space.    I think the evolution of the project makes sense that they kept it above ground.  But the fact that 3 or more sides will have retail spaces is a major plus and could never been seen as a waste.  Then consider they aspire to have a grocery store which is a major growth amenity that means more to a neighborhood than a AAA baseball stadium ever could.

Then consider they tore down one of the biggest eye sores and cultural sores in uptown Charlotte.

Then consider the 2 residential towers will have almost 700 units.   Possibly about 1000 bedrooms.   If this block adds 700-1000 residents to 4th Ward.   According the QOL Dashboard, 4th Ward had 5621 residents, and that includes the technically-4th Ward section in Gateway and around Irwin Elementary School.   So 800-1000 potential residents grows 4th Ward by 15-17% in one project. 

Then, they still have a footprint of ~0.8acre reserved for an office tower as large as the market will bear.    That is bigger or as big as the footprints of almost every skyscraping tower in the city (the tower itself).  So of course, if you're a sleazy sell out on College Street trying to move to Boca, you can draw up plans for a 90 story megatower for Dr. Vu.   But for Grubb, who knows the limitations of the real world, he is only looking to build a modest 10-20 story office tower.  But if the market could absorb the space, he has the room to build any size office tower there.

In fact, it seems his strategy in buying 525 N Tryon (Odell) building next door, that he can potentially bundle the space and maybe draw a bigger relocation tenant to take space in both it and a new tower.  But that is just my speculation.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A revision to the approved plans was filed today for Skyhouse, I wonder if its for the current building/parking deck or Skyhouse II???? The description is just Skyhouse Charlotte Revision, seems kinda late for it to be on the current building no?

It could also be the Publix. :-) only time will tell. Skyhouse 2 better hurry up, or they are going to miss out.

A revision to the approved plans was filed today for Skyhouse, I wonder if its for the current building/parking deck or Skyhouse II???? The description is just Skyhouse Charlotte Revision, seems kinda late for it to be on the current building no?

Curious minds want you to keep stalking this until plans show us the details of whatever update was made :) Wonder if it is the Publix as RDF thought...

• Like 1

Curious minds want you to keep stalking this until plans show us the details of whatever update was made :) Wonder if it is the Publix as RDF thought...

Skyhouse Charlotte Revision

This RTAP is to account for revised utilities to service the Skyhouse parking deck. All areas which are affected have been revised and updated as well. As stated previously, this project proposes a 24 story multifamily tower with a 6 level parking deck.

:( boring

• Like 1

0 work has happened on the parking deck ever sense they submitted the latest revision. People seem to be working on Skyhouse itself, just not the parking deck. Apparently there revision must have been pretty serious.

7cbbaf3f95249f63e0125b383fc8b33c_zpsnqw1

Heres a cool new rendering. They are going to have an extra amenity deck on top of the parking deck, which I haven't seen in any other Skyhouse projects, and if you look closely to the left of the parking deck, you will see the grocery store that will front Tryon. :-) :-) :-). Certainly looks like a Publix to me.

Edited by Guest

No way Jose. Let the race to the top between Mint Museum Tower, The Bearden, Crescent and Skyhouse begin!

And the 2 hotels by TWC & Crescent stonewall.

Wonder what order they'll finish?

Embassy Suites

Skyhouse II

AC Hotel

Springhill (? Triangular hotel)

Mint Museum

Bearden

Crescent Stonewall

Portman Plaza

300 South Tryon

Tryon Place

my guesses

^ Not to get off topic, but there could be 8 projects greater than 20 stories starting construction this year (I'm counting Portman just because office buildings have such tall ceiling heights)....maybe better way to say it is 8 projects > 200'.

• Like 3

Heres a cool new rendering. They are going to have an extra amenity deck on top of the parking deck, which I haven't seen in any other Skyhouse projects, and if you look closely to the left of the parking deck, you will see the grocery store that will front Tryon. :-) :-) :-). Certainly looks like a Publix to me.

Wow thats amazing!!! I am gonna guess the answer is no, but would this be accessible to the public, or just residents only? 

Definitely one of the more exciting parking decks I've ever seen... Agree that brick building fronting Tryon looks very Publix-ish. 

Wow thats amazing!!! I am gonna guess the answer is no, but would this be accessible to the public, or just residents only? 

I'm sure just residents. The interesting thing about this Amenity deck is it appears you will have to exit sky house, cross the street and go up another elevator to the top. Should be interesting to see how many people do that, I know I would.

They showed this rooftop amenities "green roof" of the parking deck in large printed posters during 4th Ward Holiday Home Tour.  I posted a photo of their poster at the time, but it had an indoor amenity of some sort that has now been replaced by a tennis court.  

Honestly, the whole 'go outside and up an elevator' is really no big deal for reaching activity amenities like a playing field and tennis court in the building next door.  It is an urban environment and they will already have the pool and gym within their building.   Not a big deal, especially considering they are activity amenities.  So isn't like "y'all trying to tell me I gotta get outta my la-Z-boy, get in my hoveround, put on a shirt and leave the buildin' so that I can get to the ultimate frisbee field and tennis court??  It was my understanding that medicare would be providing exercise to me by mail.  What will Obama think of next?"    

Plus, could you imagine how awful it would be if they lived in Skyhouse I and their Tinder match was in Skyhouse II?   Then they would need to go down an elevator, go outside, go TWO buildings away and up another elevator for a hookup.  

• Like 2