SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Well, they did say they wanted to punish the arrogant cities...

Raleigh is arrogant. Raleigh has its money, plus the state's money.

Charlotte is not. Charlotte has its money, plus whatever dribbles it can wheedle out of the state from time to time.

"The cities get everything!"

~ Tom Apodaca, He-Who-Makes-The-Trains-Run-On-Time

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have always retained the pain of losing that decently designed office tower at 10th and Tryon.   I love the Skyhouses, plus they are actually reality, but it would have been nice and proper to continue office development on Tryon farther north. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything new with Skyhouse 2? Interestingly enough, the crane next to the parking deck being built, was raised over the weekend. I can't imagine that it was for that structure. It would have to be for the next Skyhouse tower. Perhaps ground breaking is imminent? 

I don't know an exact date, but they are almost all the way through the permitting phase, and they have construction financing already lined up.  I would assume it's within the next 4-6 weeks.

And for some added prospective. They started grading the site on March 21st, 2014. They held the topping out party 6 months later on October 24th, 2014. Pretty Crazy. So we should have a topped out 24 floor building by 1st Qtr 2016.

Edited by Guest

I think the color changing was a bit of a fad like any gimmick when the technology becomes available.   I'm sure they're LED so they could easily change color with a controller, but I agree, I would not care one bit if they opt out of that fad.  The only thing that does benefit is it does add color to otherwise neutral buildings, but they usually don't constrain themselves to a single color that helps brand the building.

We talk a lot about Skyhouse II, but supposedly Skyhouse I will start moving in later this month.   I have a guest in my house that signed a lease for late August.  

The real urban part of these projects are the people that start using the buildings.  I can't wait to see more population and vibrancy to North Tryon and Fourth Ward in general.  

Edited by dubone
  • Like 2

I think the color changing was a bit of a fad like any gimmick when the technology becomes available.   I'm sure they're LED so they could easily change color with a controller, but I agree, I would not care one bit if they opt out of that fad.  The only thing that does benefit is it does add color to otherwise neutral buildings, but they usually don't constrain themselves to a single color that helps brand the building.

We talk a lot about Skyhouse II, but supposedly Skyhouse I will start moving in later this month.   I have a guest in my house that signed a lease for late August.  

The real urban part of these projects are the people that start using the buildings.  I can't wait to see more population and vibrancy to North Tryon and Fourth Ward in general.  

Oh I agree. I don't need it to be like Duke. I more just want it to be Panther blue when the situation calls haha

Has anyone heard anything new with Skyhouse 2? Interestingly enough, the crane next to the parking deck being built, was raised over the weekend. I can't imagine that it was for that structure. It would have to be for the next Skyhouse tower. Perhaps ground breaking is imminent? 

Ask, and ye shall receive.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article30686793.html

Has the activity field been replaced by what looks like a giant sunroof in the parking deck?  The rendering of the amenity deck in this article is different from the one on the SkyHouse Uptown website.

It sure has.  Good eye.  Looks like they moved the tennis court too.

7cbbaf3f95249f63e0125b383fc8b33c_zpsnqw1urxj.jpeg

IMG_Parking_deck_park_4_1_4H55F8OM_L136884451.jpg

Edited by ah59396

It sure has.  Good eye.  Looks like they moved the tennis court too.

I saw that too.  The activity field is still listed as an amenity of the 'SkyPark'.  Getting rid of a 60' x 120' multi-purpose field for an unusable space seems like a substantial loss from a resident usage and marketing standpoint, especially since no other apartment complex in or near Uptown offers the same amenity.  Maybe the Observer rendering is old or incorrect?  From the construction camera view, it still looks to me like the tennis court will be going in the center of the deck, but I could be wrong.

http://oxblue.com/open/SkyHouseApartments