SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Skyhouse II filed for a rezoning change from UMUD to UMUD-O and scheduled for Oct 19. What does this mean in terms of construction schedule? And what's the difference between UMUD and UMUD-O?

O means Optional Provision. 
Looking at the Rezoning. It appears that the have discovered that the balconies will encroach too much on the allowed set back (5' instead of 2') they are requesting an optional provision to the sites zoning to allow them to encroach 3 additional feet.

:PThere are three comments. I agree that two are stupid. How is the comment asking what one commenter is basing his opinion on stupid? Disclaimer: I posted the comment in question.

:lol:  off topic but that's kinda funny. Fight, fight, fight, fight. 

• Like 1

There are three comments. I agree that two are stupid. How is the comment asking what one commenter is basing his opinion on stupid? Disclaimer: I posted the comment in question.

:ph34r:Could be that I missed the entire comment due to the big box on my screen telling me to subscribe to the Observer. But honestly, I promise you I didn't see that one when I read the article this morning.  Cross my heart.   

Does that mean the deal fell through, or that it is a slow process?

I'd hate for Grubb to continue his trend of pursuing and drawing interest from a grocer just to have them pick a new location. 

Publix approved the deal, but the economics don't make sense as a freestanding grocery store. Novare has certain residential restrictions on the parcel so the only thing that really makes sense there would be office. Grubb isn't going to spec an office building, and from what I hear, they're possibly going to try and market the land to sell to a third party. 

Publix approved the deal, but the economics don't make sense as a freestanding grocery store. Novare has certain residential restrictions on the parcel so the only thing that really makes sense there would be office. Grubb isn't going to spec an office building, and from what I hear, they're possibly going to try and market the land to sell to a third party. 

Grocery stores have a small profit margin & it can be difficult to make the economics work with the high cost of land Uptown ,getting foot traffic in the store is the easy part but making a profit  off customers who spend less than half the average ticket of their suburban customers is the hard part.

There are three comments. I agree that two are stupid. How is the comment asking what one commenter is basing his opinion on stupid? Disclaimer: I posted the comment in question.

LOL, holy crap!  You and I went to college together.  My brother was your roommate for a while, in fact.  Oh, and your comment wasn't stupid.

Edited by SentioVenia

This surprises me some, because it would seem that Grubb would want to subsidize the retail some with the rest of the Skyhouse project because it benefits the rest of the Skyhouse project with value of future leases and better chance of filling units.    

Grubb turned away Lidl and told them to "keep looking" because their scope didn't match their vision. I just find it so hard to believe Publix isn't a lock, based on that situation alone. Maybe Publix gets back in with Levine and goes to the First Ward Urban Village or goes for cheaper land in Elizabeth.

:ph34r:Could be that I missed the entire comment due to the big box on my screen telling me to subscribe to the Observer. But honestly, I promise you I didn't see that one when I read the article this morning.  Cross my heart.   

no big deal. My intention was to challenge their assertion, but I don't think they ever responded to me so I just dropped it.

LOL, holy crap!  You and I went to college together.  My brother was your roommate for a while, in fact.  Oh, and your comment wasn't stupid.

Is your brother Steve?

• Like 1

I think a hotel here would do wonders.  South Tryon is getting all the hotel attention, and rightly so, but this site seems to be a great place for a N. Tryon hotel.  Maybe a boutique brand like Hotel Indigo or Palomar. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some people have begun to move in here, but it will obviously be months before the parking and amenities are done.   A lady who rented from me briefly almost moved in there, but did not want to deal with parking off site and found a cheaper place that worked better for her.  But I have seen lights on and more activity. 

In perfect irony related to the missed opportunity to fix the 10th & Church intersection, on move in day, I saw an extremely large number of drivers going across Church illegally.   

My sources told me that they had 81 leases before the first one moved in.  Building is still under construction and the parking deck is supposed to open next month.  I have been in 1 unit and it is pretty cool, great views.  Same from the roof.