SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

14 minutes ago, dubone said:

It would be nice to get some real movement and confirmation on Furman's condo/hotel/Publix project now along Tryon, but I am sure Grubb stipulated that they need to retain the land for staging for a while. 

Yeah, info on that is coming....don't you worry. It'll be a hot minute before cranes are up but it's coming.

And yeah, the Skyhouse II is scheduled to top out in June. It's gonna be so awesome

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

22 minutes ago, Spartan said:

There's no way CM moves to Skyhouse - but I love the idea of a similar concept like a bottle shop.

Hoping it is something different like a Tasty Beverage up in Asheville. More competition has made our bottle shops better but we also need to some of the current places to get a grip on prices and with two other locations, maybe Tasty would have some better capital to not have prices 20+% higher than suggested retail. 

Would common market in Skyhouse be any more out of the realm of possibility that Amelies at their new uptown location? I would imagine Skyhouse will have reasonable rent with all that retail in a lower volume area. Plus, it will join the roster of a potential Publix as another retail destination. It would help attract tenants to the other retail spots. More so than a 7-11 or sundries or something

8 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Would common market in Skyhouse be any more out of the realm of possibility that Amelies at their new uptown location? I would imagine Skyhouse will have reasonable rent with all that retail in a lower volume area. Plus, it will join the roster of a potential Publix as another retail destination. It would help attract tenants to the other retail spots. More so than a 7-11 or sundries or something

$28 per square foot at Skyhouse, I just don't see CM paying that

36 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Agreed and agreed. A bottle shop is opening at Quarterside, I forgot what it's called though.

Remind me - which one is Quarterside?

8 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

CM likes to have cool, older buildings with a unique outdoor space. They've said as much about shopping for their new location in South End. Skyhouse would lack all of those qualities.

• Like 1

Just now, Spartan said:

CM likes to have cool, older buildings with a unique outdoor space. They've said as much about shopping for their new location in South End. Skyhouse would lack all of those qualities.

Quarterside is at 7th and McDowell. It's going to be called First Ward Beverage Co and is from the co owner of Belfast Mill, Tommy Clark.

6 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Yea, CM makes no sense at Skyhouse at all. IMO, Common Market would be awesome in the old Dixie's Tavern. Older building, patio space, etc. Too bad that's not possible now. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, michaelef said:

I have a credible source with Skyhouse that Common Market is interested in its retail space and that Publix is moving forward to develop next to it. 

We have discussed the CM and I still find it hard to believe they would move to Skyhouse but where theres smoke there is fire I guess. The person who told me this was with Skyhouse too so it could just be them getting their hopes up and trying to sound cool? And it's not just Publix its a much larger development called 10 Tryon. Hotel/retail/condos/office/publix

Edited by Jayvee

With as many small shops mainly for last minute beer and wine and snacks that pop up in the base of towers, Common Market operating this one seems quite reasonable.   Of course, we are used to them mainly being in old buildings with ample patio space, but with likely the SouthEnd replacement taking that route, I see no reason that an uptown one in Skyhouse being reasonable.  

I say this only as a skeptic that is more convinced by the durability of the rumor than anything else.   It seems like their run-of-the-mill bodega will have a popular name on it instead of a throwaway brand. 

The amenities deck seems to be a downgrade from those shown.   A painted concrete tennis court was mildly inevitable, but it seemed like the earlier iterations of the design had somewhat of an indoor building and a small field.   A field, even if astroturf, would allow for lots of activities for lots 10-20 people at a time, and have non-active uses too.    The tennis court will likely be like many others, empty, or seeming to be empty due to only serving 2-4 people at a time for a single sport more tailored to an older demographic that isn't likely to live at Skyhouse.

Tennis courts are great. but it is far less valuable to residents than whatever indoor space they planned up there one and large field.   

I'll give it time before i begin to judge the amenities deck, they still have some work to do.  Someone should suggest adding some portable basketball goals in the tennis court as well, it's always good to have options.  

Also, I can't wait for the day I read in the Observer of someone driving down Church Street with their top down and have a tennis ball hit me in the head causing a crash.  Sadly, with my tennis game, i can see myself being the guy causing the accident :).

13 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I really hope that CM reference is true. I'm surprised that they would be interested in a non-historic structure, but 4th Ward could really use a place like that. I'm sure it would do well.

Common Market must be getting a HUGE break on this space, if this is true. The space is going for $28/sf aka 78k a year.

Edited by Guest