SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

On January 12, 2016 at 1:13 AM, dubone said:

With as many small shops mainly for last minute beer and wine and snacks that pop up in the base of towers, Common Market operating this one seems quite reasonable.   Of course, we are used to them mainly being in old buildings with ample patio space, but with likely the SouthEnd replacement taking that route, I see no reason that an uptown one in Skyhouse being reasonable.  

I say this only as a skeptic that is more convinced by the durability of the rumor than anything else.   It seems like their run-of-the-mill bodega will have a popular name on it instead of a throwaway brand. 

The amenities deck seems to be a downgrade from those shown.   A painted concrete tennis court was mildly inevitable, but it seemed like the earlier iterations of the design had somewhat of an indoor building and a small field.   A field, even if astroturf, would allow for lots of activities for lots 10-20 people at a time, and have non-active uses too.    The tennis court will likely be like many others, empty, or seeming to be empty due to only serving 2-4 people at a time for a single sport more tailored to an older demographic that isn't likely to live at Skyhouse.

Tennis courts are great. but it is far less valuable to residents than whatever indoor space they planned up there one and large field.   

Forgot to respond to this  it won't all be concrete it's getting turf. 

I am trying to look for the documents now on Accela but I can't find attachments anymore.  I was a bit confused when I saw this in person this weekend about the proximity of the building to the street.   Is there still enough room for parallel street parking and a proper sidewalk or did one of those get removed from the plans?   Looking down from above with this camera angle, it reinforces my concern.   Obviously with the large parking deck a strip of street parking is not exactly critical, but it does reserve some public right of way.

Interestingly, I do see this:

https://aca.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=16LUR&capID2=00000&capID3=00003&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

Which shows that the project is requesting the city add the street parking to its approved plans, but then I am curious how much of a sidewalk will remain. 

"Revisions to approved plans to incorporate street parking added to 9th street"

1 hour ago, dubone said:

I am trying to look for the documents now on Accela but I can't find attachments anymore.  I was a bit confused when I saw this in person this weekend about the proximity of the building to the street.   Is there still enough room for parallel street parking and a proper sidewalk or did one of those get removed from the plans?   Looking down from above with this camera angle, it reinforces my concern.   Obviously with the large parking deck a strip of street parking is not exactly critical, but it does reserve some public right of way.

Interestingly, I do see this:

https://aca.accela.com/CHARLOTTE/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=16LUR&capID2=00000&capID3=00003&agencyCode=CHARLOTTE&IsToShowInspection=

Which shows that the project is requesting the city add the street parking to its approved plans, but then I am curious how much of a sidewalk will remain. 

"Revisions to approved plans to incorporate street parking added to 9th street"

I think they had to get a special condition to encroach on the street more, because of how the balconies face 9th. The sidewalk over there is going to be pretty lousy.

The approved site plans show on street parking on 9th with a 16ft setback to the base of Skyhouse. However the balconies starting on the 2nd floor are allowed to encroach on that 16ft setback. You can see the approved plan here: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2015Petitions/Pages/2015-115.aspx

That one Accela proves that the street parking remains, so then I guess I see what you're saying that the sidewalk will be under the jutting balconies.   There was barely a sidewalk before, so street parking plus at least a 6' sidewalk would be better than before.   Partially covered by balconies may mean the sidewalk is decent.   

I'm unclear where the attachments went for Accela.  But I'll look back at what we have on this thread, because I know there was a siteplan out there that showed this detail. 

On 1/20/2016 at 0:20 PM, Spartan said:

The setback is still 16ft on 9th Street, so that should be the approximate sidewalk width at street level.

Thanks for the fact.  I was trying to gauge it with my eye with cues from that photo.     But is that 16' behind street parking?  

• 2 weeks later...

So on another website a poster said that Publix is having a hard time competing with Harris Teeter and Walmart in Charlotte (which I seriously had no idea, I was under the impression from CBJ articles Publix was doing good in the region. Though, obviously market share doesn't always translate to profits) and that the Publix deal is likely in "limbo."

21 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

So on another website a poster said that Publix is having a hard time competing with Harris Teeter and Walmart in Charlotte (which I seriously had no idea, I was under the impression from CBJ articles Publix was doing good in the region. Though, obviously market share doesn't always translate to profits) and that the Publix deal is likely in "limbo."

You are correct. I have heard from numerous sources Publix is struggling hard and bit off way more than they can chew in this market. It's a tricky situation that will hopefully be coming together soon.

Between the pending entries of Wegmans at the top and Lidl at the bottom and Sprouts in the granola segment every chain is nervous. No grocer is going to make any money in Charlotte or Raleigh for quite a while.

Edited by kermit

7 hours ago, Jayvee said:

You are correct. I have heard from numerous sources Publix is struggling hard and bit off way more than they can chew in this market. It's a tricky situation that will hopefully be coming together soon.

Publix' bakery is not as good as the Teeter bakery, especially for breads-Publix' in-house breads are just embarrassingly laughable. They're from 1965.

Teeter, at Morrocroft anyway,has a much better selection of wines.

Publix is higher priced on some items, lower on others. So that's a wash.

Teeter deli is better on higher-end items. Lower end, like prepared picnic items, Publix is better.

Being from Florida, Publix has access to some fruits that Teeter does not. But vegetables are better at Teeter. Too many pre-bagged items at Publix.

I live closer to Teeter than to any Publix. But I don't think I'd choose Publix over Teeter if they were equidistant.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2016 at 7:31 AM, Silicon Dogwoods said:

Publix' bakery is not as good as the Teeter bakery, especially for breads-Publix' in-house breads are just embarrassingly laughable. They're from 1965.

Teeter deli is better on higher-end items. Lower end, like prepared picnic items, Publix is better.

Being from Florida, Publix has access to some fruits that Teeter does not. But vegetables are better at Teeter. Too many pre-bagged items at Publix.

I live closer to Teeter than to any Publix. But I don't think I'd choose Publix over Teeter if they were equidistant.

This is no real surprise to me. Before Publix entered the market there were people who were so anxious for them to arrive because their perception was it was a superior grocery chain. They didn't appreciate that Charlotte already had some really good options and that Publix was no giant step up. I'm not against Publix. Now that they are here, I stop in when it is the most convenient option, but I still prefer HT or Wal-Mart depending on what I'm buying. Publix is certainly nothing special (cue the people who will now argue that the ones in FLA are somehow better than these in NC).

• Like 3

On 2/7/2016 at 7:31 AM, Silicon Dogwoods said:

I don't go to the Morrocroft/Taj Mateeter very often, but in my experience, most things in that store are an exception due to the demographics of South Park/Myers Park. Pubilx always has a good selection and high quality in my experience (I actually think their bakery is better). More importantly, however, is that I agree that Publix and HT are essentially the same in terms of quality, even if you want to nitpick about some things being slightly better in one versus the other. Essentially what it comes down to, IMO, is convenience. I grew up going to Publix but I'm not going to go drive there when I can walk to an HT from where I live. I occasionally drive by another HT or Trader Joe's if I'm already out. Anyway, if Publix opened up a place in Skyhouse, I would probably go there as often as HT. If its a larger footprint than HT then they'd probably get 75-85% of my business from HT just because the uptown location has such a terrible selection of everything.

It's convenience for me, too. 4 different Teeters are closer to me than the nearest Publix.

But I still think Publix' in-house breads are simply wretched! Oh, how can you bear them! :rolleyes:

I like Trader Joe's on occasion, too.

Aren't we spoiled in this town?

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

Trader Joe's definitely has the best quality-to-prices ratio (Aldi is the best overall prices... did you know the owner is the brother of the Trader Joe's owner? Germans FTW)

TJ's is always either the same price, or cheaper, than HT. And their products generally are made with better ingredients than HT. The only reason I ever go to Harris Teeter is for certain vegetables, and certain breads from the bakery. Even their in-house beers are the same price as cheap domestics, but better quality all around. I'm happy to drive to the Metropolitan for TJ, even with its stress-inducing parking deck (TJ employees report couples always fighting after dealing with their parking garage)

Edited by SgtCampsalot

It's all a matter of perspective. I was a HT (PM) customer for years until the South Blvd Publix opened and one of the reasons I made the switch was the customer experience along with the fact that they are the only grocer chain that makes a decent Cuban Press that is near authentic. In addition, I can also pick up some of my hometown chili (Skyline) in the freezer section. I know HT has it also but Publix has both (chili or chili spaghetti) options.

All in all, their customer service is second to none in the Charlotte region and there is "always" someone out in the isle asking if you are ready to checkout. (brilliant)

Try getting that at Food Lion or Aldi (Ha)

Edited by UPNoDa

37 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Trader Joe's definitely has the best quality-to-prices ratio (Aldi is the best overall prices... did you know the owner is the brother of the Trader Joe's owner? Germans FTW)

TJ's is always either the same price, or cheaper, than HT. And their products generally are made with better ingredients than HT. The only reason I ever go to Harris Teeter is for certain vegetables, and certain breads from the bakery. Even their in-house beers are the same price as cheap domestics, but better quality all around. I'm happy to drive to the Metropolitan for TJ, even with its stress-inducing parking deck (TJ employees report couples always fighting after dealing with their parking garage)

Yes, I knew that.

The last 3 years I lived in California, Trader Joe's was my nearest and therefore default grocer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

It's all a matter of perspective. I was a HT (PM) customer for years until the South Blvd Publix opened and one of the reasons I made the switch was the customer experience along with the fact that they are the only grocer chain that makes a decent Cuban Press that is near authentic. In addition, I can also pick up some of my hometown chili (Skyline) in the freezer section. I know HT has it also but Publix has both (chili or chili spaghetti) options.

All in all, their customer service is second to none in the Charlotte region and there is "always" someone out in the isle asking if you are ready to checkout. (brilliant)

Try getting that at Food Lion or Aldi (Ha)

I used to order Cuban sandwiches regularly when I lived in Panama City, Florida. They were authentic and really good. But, I would also love to see a Lidl (I believe it is spelled that way?) They are on the lines with Audi, but a bit more extensive. I used the quite a bit in Europe. Good prices and would be a great fit. I read earlier that they were coming to the Charlotte area.

• 1 month later...