SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Is this inside info that is very recent or just an opinion? It wasn't that long ago that Furman himself spoke to Friends of Fourth Ward and spoke very much of this plan as an imminent project. It seems that if the office part of the project is moving forward, that the housing part would move forward as well, due to economies of scale/synergies in the construction process, and the market of the employees that move into the adjacent building.

do NOT expect to see Furman's condos there on the Church Street (backside) or anywhere contiguous ... very unlikely that they will come to fruition......nor anyone else's anytime soon, for that matter.

UJ

I am not sure where you got this idea from. Furman just cancelled the concourse a few months back that had almost completely filled all the contracts, It is pretty easy for furman to sell, I have no idea why he wouldn't be able to here.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth, Colliers Pinkard is now pre-leasing 400,000 sq. ft. for this site. Maybe they increased the size due to demand, or maybe its just a number thrown out there by the leasing agent to see if any large tenants are shopping space.

Edit. BTW, space is going for $30/sf if UP is looking for their Uptown HQ.

I'm not sure what this means, but within the last couple weeks this listing has disappeared from their website. I guess that could mean they've secured a major tenant or have given up on the search. Has anyone heard anything about this project recently?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I noticed on Bid Clerk, that a general contractor will soon put out bids for subs on a ~30 story, 400,000 sq. ft. office building in Charlotte. There was no more specific info than that available, but based on the size and the fact that it's taller than Novare's proposal, I am thinking this could be the Renaissance site....anyone with a subscription can check more details.....anyone?

Those numbers seem roughly familiar with the plans for this site, so that would be great news if this can actually move forward, especially the office portion. Bringing jobs further north on Tryon will help to continue to the multiplier effect and create more activity north of 7th Street.

• 1 month later...

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...tml?t=printable

It also implies that First Charter/ 5th 3rd hasn't commited but admits to having looked at it. However, their suburban office space has been up for sale and they presumably can't move until that is sold.

I am glad this project is still somewhat active, but it is sad that they are saying that even with a likely tenant, they can't get financing for a spec tower in this credit environment, even with Charlotte's vacancy rate being so low. But I guess if First Charter believed they'd go there, maybe they would front the money.

If the tower is a go and they do end up going with Duda/Paine architects as the article described, then we should have one heck of a project on our hands. Their design portfolio is quite impressive if you check out their website. It seems like a project proposed of this magnatude, that we could see more than just that block redeveloped, likely this whole area just north of the Odell building will be transformed some.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard recently that Furman may still be involved, but the residential portions is likely to be apartment instead of condos.

I, too, am hopeful for Duda/Paine, and think that most of his buildings, while modern, have a timeless quality to them. I still think this whole thing hinges of 5th 3rd committing to space, and considering that deal won't close for 2-3 more months, it could be a while before a decision is reached.

There are a lot of people saying First Charter/5th 3rd is definitely looking to go here, and it was mentioned in the CBJ loosely, however, it was said that they have had their suburban office space up for sale for a while with no takers. I'd say that as soon as that space sells, that we can then expect movement on this site, otherwise I'd expect it to stay as is.

I wonder why they are struggling to sell it. It is a top notch facility :)

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...9&encType=1

Driving inbound on Tryon, I caught a glimpse of construction materials and staging in the lot between McColl and Renaissance. I circled to look closer and couldn't make much sense of it. Seemed to be concrete forms (small ones), and some sort of multiple platforms. It could just be something for the events this weekend, but I don't know what to make of the concrete forms.

Driving inbound on Tryon, I caught a glimpse of construction materials and staging in the lot between McColl and Renaissance. I circled to look closer and couldn't make much sense of it. Seemed to be concrete forms (small ones), and some sort of multiple platforms. It could just be something for the events this weekend, but I don't know what to make of the concrete forms.

Not 100% on this but I believe the staging is for Ritz Carlton. Looks like what's being "hung" on the Trade Street side.

• 3 months later...

Nothing much new, but 2 weeks ago when 5/3 closed on First Charter, the ex-CEO of first Charter (who will be head of the Carolinas at 5/3) did say they are still trying to sell the Univ. City building and would look to lease space in a downtown tower that they could get naming rights too. Nothing specific about this site, but its good to hear there is still interest, though with 5/3 dividend cut, I would be surpised if they moved forward without selling their old HQ first.

The CBJ has an article saying that this project will have an 18 story office tower, residential tower, hotel, and restaurant space. It also says a rendering is being passed between office brokers. Did the print edition have this rendering?

I heard about this. A large company in downtown was offered naming rights on a new office building on N. Tryon by a developer directly. I dont know whether they got further in talks about this, I will do some digging.

• 1 month later...

Is there any new news about this site? I keep seeing building materials show up here but have not heard anything about official plans or renderings.

Building Materials keep showing up on the site because it is a staging site for another project, at least that what I've heard.

• 9 months later...

Whats going on with this site I passed by a week ago and notice bulldosers and backhoes on this site clearing it out i thought, andbody heard anything new with this site lately??? :dunno:

The lot next door has broken ground for the new Dance Theater, perhaps that is what you saw?