SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

Just now, elrodvt said:

Sorry, the razor wire was a joke. i hope....

oh sorry I know I didnt see any when I went by there saturday.  But the reason for the fence might be what I said to keep people off the property in the meantime before construction starts. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

They would pay money to pave the lot, because you can't park on dirt?

Not sure about Charlotte, but the city i work for, you can't just throw gravel or dirt on an empty parcel for a new parking lot.  Typically, you're suppose to use some sort of non dust causing material, such as asphalt or concrete unless the lot in grandfathered in.     Since this lot didn't have a gravel/dirt parking lot before the development, they wouldn't be allowed to have one now... i think.  Anyway, i still believe this will start sooner rather than later.  Yes, they put up a pretty fence but in the grand scheme of things, that fence is a fraction of the price of this whole development and they probably did it to satisfy some silly requirement or complaint. 

5 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Not sure about Charlotte, but the city i work for, you can't just throw gravel or dirt on an empty parcel for a new parking lot.  Typically, you're suppose to use some sort of non dust causing material, such as asphalt or concrete unless the lot in grandfathered in.     Since this lot didn't have a gravel/dirt parking lot before the development, they wouldn't be allowed to have one now... i think.  Anyway, i still believe this will start sooner rather than later.  Yes, they put up a pretty fence but in the grand scheme of things, that fence is a fraction of the price of this whole development and they probably did it to satisfy some silly requirement or complaint. 

That's a good point, I wouldn't it past 4th ward to demand nicer fencing than chain link.

9 minutes ago, urban980 said:

The fence could be part of the 2nd tower's grand opening. My guess is that the public relations folks didn't want the place to look like a construction zone.

Thats an even better point!!!! 

3 hours ago, jtmonk said:

The zoning in uptown Charlotte (UMUD) precludes parking as a principle use unless the parking pre-dates the ordinance. This block had two buildings on it and ancillary parking so they wouldn't be allowed to install new parking, even if it's temporary.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DMann said:

Still bothers me that it could be delayed

I'm curious. Where are you getting the idea that it'll be delayed? I just posted the bid docs, its full steam ahead. 

2 hours ago, DMann said:

Just the fencing, looks too permanent and that is a worry to me.

This project is moving forward.  The fencing is to make the area look nicer for the tower 2 launch.  It is much easier for them to lease apartments and take pictures for promotional material when the area doesn't look like a construction zone, even though it will be again in a few months.  The amount they will make in leasing more units will far outweigh the extra cost of fencing.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

How big is this Publix square footage wise? Also I see elsewhere that the retail space under Skyhouse 1 facing 10th St is now taken by someone. Anybody know who? With Publix coming the other retail around Skyhouses should lease I would think. 

It is a primary care physician office.  I think has been open 4/6 months now.  https://www.reservehealth.com/

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 11:30 PM, KJHburg said:

How big is this Publix square footage wise? Also I see elsewhere that the retail space under Skyhouse 1 facing 10th St is now taken by someone. Anybody know who? With Publix coming the other retail around Skyhouses should lease I would think. 

PublixUptown.jpg

Grocery space will be 29,000 sqft.

• 2 months later...

what is the latest with this 10 Tryon project? They are advertising the office space for lease, showing a Publix store and another building on the 9th street side above the Publix near 525 N Tryon.  What is that building a hotel or residential or to be determined?  Do they need to wait until they get some tenants for the office space before it kicks off?  

• Like 1

what is the latest with this 10 Tryon project? They are advertising the office space for lease, showing a Publix store and another building on the 9th street side above the Publix near 525 N Tryon.  What is that building a hotel or residential or to be determined?  Do they need to wait until they get some tenants for the office space before it kicks off?  

All office and they've got a few leases, but not enough yet. I think publix is partially counting for slow progress. Not to mention construction labor shortages

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...