SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.  Has anyone heard an update on 10 Tryon/Publix?

Does anyone have anything constructive to add to this conversation, because those of us that are watching for this project will update this thread when it’s the appropriate time. We haven’t just forgotten to tell you guys there’s been action. Heard they had some office signings and possibly converting one of the buildings back into a hotel option, but no, there’s been no movement what so ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No longer photo related so coming to this thread: The question I had at" Hamilton", and apparently answered by a cast member in his Instagram feed, was that members had housing at SkyHouse South. This question arose about Hamilton but the answer involves all the Broadway series traveling shows and Opera Carolina prime cast members and other show members at the Performing Arts Center. I suppose that apartments in some quantity are rented for performer/staff housing for these traveling shows. The season is eight months or so and the landlord wants tenants and the cast will not trash the place and it is walking distance to their theatre. A good solution all around. Not AirBnB, in other words.

4 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

No longer photo related so coming to this thread: The question I had at" Hamilton", and apparently answered by a cast member in his Instagram feed, was that members had housing at SkyHouse South. This question arose about Hamilton but the answer involves all the Broadway series traveling shows and Opera Carolina prime cast members and other show members at the Performing Arts Center. I suppose that apartments in some quantity are rented for performer/staff housing for these traveling shows. The season is eight months or so and the landlord wants tenants and the cast will not trash the place and it is walking distance to their theatre. A good solution all around. Not AirBnB, in other words.

Truth. Though, from the lens of property management companies and owners, that is what corporate housing companies are for.  I'd buy a Coke for anyone who could find me a rental community in Charlotte that allowed AirBnB. However, most communities in the Uptown market lease out apartments to corporate housing companies that are allowed to have clients - vetted by them - stay for short incremental periods of time.

So, I spoke too hastily by assuming that the cast member was staying via AirBnB; he may have gotten a lead with a corporate housing company... Stay Furnished, Suite America, ExecuStay, A+ Accommodations, Be Relaxed... these places have units everywhere.

Now I definitely don't want to start taking up the mantle of defending the Corporate Residential Property Management industry's standard policies, as they are typically behind the times, but that is just how the short-term rental situation works in the industry, and AirBnB is too high-risk for most companies to stomach.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

23 hours ago, jordan704 said:

Me: "Anything new with this project?"

Contact: : "Yes and no. It should be restarting soon from my understanding. First tower is an office. Second tower is now a hotel. Hotel Developer is suppose to be Armada Hofler."

What does that mean for Publix?  It would be a shame to lose them in the new development.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Zillow says current 30 year mortgage in NC is average of 4.7% For a 300,000$ residence with 10% down, 270,000 financed, this amortization comes to 1400$/month. Another 200$/month or so for taxes, plus mortgage insurance, plus homeowners insurance, closing costs plus repairs and maintenance and incidentals puts one close to 1750/month. Then add the condo fee. This assumes a small condo which is what could be bought in a pleasant area for such a sum (NOT downtown or anywhere near) . IF one had 30,000$ and IF one wanted to make this commitment, and IF one could count on property appreciation (can anyone?). I cannot imagine committing to a compact condo in Charlotte at this price even if I was as certain as possible that I would not need to move in the future. One would be underwater considering the transaction costs of selling if in those first few years.

Renting has its attractions. The SkyHouse seems competitive with buying.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Thanks 1

Tarhoosier (as a rough estimate) I would say 50% of our retirement savings have come from real estate so far. And it's plenty to retire on. A lot of it was luck as I'm certainly no real estate guru.  Just like the stock market it's pretty tough to know when prices will drop or rise. I have never lost money on a house. Of course as Bob would say "the times they are a changin'".

This is just a data point for you not an argument for or against. I think it's more a lifestyle choice than anything. I assume you don't have kids because that significantly changes the equation also. I would keep my options open. There are always people selling for less than they should. I had a pretty solid method to find them. But it sounds like for now you're not interested.

• Like 1

I simply can’t imagine paying that much in rent for a small apartment. Amazing. 

From what I recall when did the tour at Ascent the 1 bed apartments were smaller and significantly more money. The info I got from that a while back is in that thread somewhere.

I’d live and pay in Skyhouse. I can’t say the same for Ascent. Mainly cause could not justify the prices they get.

13 hours ago, navigator319 said:

From what I recall when did the tour at Ascent the 1 bed apartments were smaller and significantly more money. The info I got from that a while back is in that thread somewhere.

I’d live and pay in Skyhouse. I can’t say the same for Ascent. Mainly cause could not justify the prices they get.

Not to mention you have to deal with hearing ink n ivy

• Haha 1

Ascent has got to be the nicest amenities in Charlotte. South Tower in Skyhouse is pretty great (rooftop) and Museum Tower is very nice, but Ascent blows them all away: Biggest gym of all the high rises (including full squat/bench press bars), wine cellar, biggest lounge with the most small touches.

Though Ascent and MT suffer from having the residential floors being very separated from the lobby by 10 to 12 floors. As opposed to the Vue, Skyhouse, Element, all having a continuous flow.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

I live in Skyhouse.  The building itself is pretty nice, but it really only makes sense for a certain demographic (25-27 and younger).  If you go to the pool on weekends it is a frat party.  This can be really fun, but is also not what everyone is looking for.  The dog park on top of the parking deck is great.  Our biggest complaint with the building itself is that elevators break CONSTANTLY.  It is not unusual for all 3 elevators to be broken at the same time.  Not ideal if you live 23 floors up...

The neighborhood is also...ok.  There isn't much there yet.  Part of why Ascent can charge more is that it is surrounded by more things and is more heavily trafficked.  Right now there isn't anything north of 7th in Uptown except for Skyhouse.  10 Tryon/Publix  and ideally something with Hal Marshall would have a transformative effect. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Lets be honest, the rest of NC doesn't have much to compare to. 

Yea. I was gonna say... What does Raleigh have that compares to any of these buildings. Skyhouse might be the nicest. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...