SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think this will happen it just takes longer and Publix never seems to be in hurry which from their perspective is good since more multifamily is coming with Lennars huge tower and midrise complex a few blocks away.  

Downtown Miami and Brickell 2 Publixes I saw, downtown Orlando (which by the way is much smaller population wise has one I just went into), midtown Atlanta has one underway or opened, and downtown Raleigh has one under construction.  All urban format stores.  We will get ours.   This is the full size maybe 25-30K sq ft store in downtown Orlando across from Lake Eola. 

Midtown has a Publix and a Whole Foods is opening soon. Across the street you also have a Target too.

• Like 2

Is that parking lot at the bottom left for the museum or public parking for retail? I've always wondered that. If so they should just make the grass the lot so there could be another building put in that spot. Some condos would look nice there. 

Edited by j-man

1 minute ago, j-man said:

Is that parking lot right there for the museum or public parking for retail? I've always wondered that. If so they should just make the grass the lot so there could be another building put in that spot. Some condos would look nice there. 

That lot fenced in is the future site of Publix and the 10 Tryon complex with offices and possibly a hotel with a ground level Publix.  

• Like 1

Just now, j-man said:

no I mean the lot at the bottom of the photo across the street from SkyHouse

Okay I think  that is the parcel Bank of America donated to the city for affordable housing.  It is behind the McColl center of the arts.  I think that is correct and here is a close up of that I took today.   More people living in that area is better and better for the eventual Publix.  

IMG_9193.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Okay I think  that is the parcel Bank of America donated to the city for affordable housing.  It is behind the McColl center of the arts.  I think that is correct and here is a close up of that I took today.   More people living in that area is better and better for the eventual Publix.  

IMG_9193.JPG

correctomundo

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

IMG_9193.JPG

cool. thanks and that too is great. It looks bigger in this photo than in person lol. And yeah more people for all of that retail would be good but seeing as though it could be affordable housing I don't know how many of them will be shopping at Publix. Or I could be wrong. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

cool. thanks and that too is great. It looks bigger in this photo than in person lol. And yeah more people for all of that retail would be good but seeing as thought it could be affordable housing I don't know how many of them will be shopping at Publix. Or I could be wrong. 

No anyone would shop at a store across the street from them. Publix house brands are comparable to any place really. Dittos for the Teeter.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

^Yes, but will the parcel (for affordable housing) be built in our lifetime??

Seems Charlotte/Mecklenburg has some real timing issues with infrastructure and the like.  Prior to my work transfer to Charlotte in 2008, I lived in other major cities where projects almost never resulted in the monumental delays we have seen here during the last decade.

Fun fact tho....I never lived in Beantown for "the big dig" and that thing went on for years.:tw_mrgreen:

Edited by UPNoDa
  • Like 1

Just now, KJHburg said:

what I am saying people living in the affordable housing will most definitely shop at a grocery store across the street from the homes and Publix house brands are at a good price Publix brand bread, etc  Most people shop at the closest grocery stores and if there a brand new shiny one across the street most people will shop there.  

......Publix is not considered an affordable grocery store. IDK why yall make it out to be. I'm sure they would prefer something cheaper like Lidl, Bi-Lo, heck even walmart. Let me remind you that this is affordable housing. Housing fixed for people who cannot afford to live in a moderately affordable city. So I'm sure if they can save about 50 dollars in groceries every couple of weeks they will drive to a cheaper store. 

19 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Assuming people have a car, and the means to afford one plus insurance plus gas plus maintenance..  If not, last I checked is EBT is accepted at Publix so yeah it is about as accessible as any grocer for people that would live in affordable housing across the street.

Congratulations on your calculations but gas is not that expensive compared to saving about 100 a month just on food. I'm sure many will have cars as well. This is affordable housing not the homeless shelter like you're making it out to be. Yall seem to miss points people make. I never said it wasnt convenient, but if they can get cheaper first, then I'm sure they would actually search for it. And not all people in affordable housing will be on EBT. literally many of these people will make decent salaries. That is not EBT worthy so idk why bring that up, and to add to that EBT is counted with every dollar just like physical money so you still could save and have 100 dollars more to spend at another grocery store. But say what you want and imagine I said something that I didn't. 

Edited by j-man

25 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Sapienza is great! Their crust is always crisp, but not burnt. The cheese is always gooey, never thin. And the toppings never seem cheap. My favorite  place. Rivaled only by Pure Pizza.

My friend... I know I don't know you, but based solely on this post, one would assume you have never struggled so much that you don't know where your meal is coming from, or how you're going to get across town for a job interview, or how to put enough gas in your car to get literally anywhere. When I lived without a car for a couple years I had to pre-plan everything days in advance.

Obviously there are marginally cheaper stores, but you are coming at this from such a privileged mind-set that you're forgetting that little things are insanely hard for those with little. That 1 mile trip to Food Lion costs nearly $5 in bus fare, plus almost an hour in round-trip commute. Not to mention the mental, physical, and emotional strain it takes to have to do that for literally everything else (getting to work, visiting friends/family, renewing your license/ID, going to the DSS Office to renew/update your EBT, etc).

And if it's raining? Forget about it.

Have you ever wondered why some people in food deserts might buy so much of their food from the convenience store on the corner, or eat at fast food so often? It's because it's what is close, and not expensive RELATIVE to the effort it would take to go anywhere else.

It is far more difficult to be truly poor than it is to have more money in the first place. You need to plan everything in your life just-so.

With the exception of Whole Foods, most "nice" grocery stores can be strategically shopped at to be a bit more affordable if need be for a shopper. Whole Foods is the only outlier (and that's my problem with them).

Yall are doing too much. evryone is talking about how affordable Publix is but im rooting for the people who do not have money for places like that so I am not reading your long post. I stopped at the beginning.  You clearly missed my initial statement because I was wondering what is the land going to and I was told affordable housing which is super great. And after that all I said was that I don't know if they would be shopping there since Publix is sort of on the expensive side so they may go to other places for the bulk of their groceries I know all about transportation price. I JUST SAID I DONT KNOW IF THEY WOULD REGULARLY SHOP THERE.....now how did that become all of this. I'm CLEARLY on their side. But yall can argue among each other. Im not doing it. Have a good day. 

Edited by j-man

11 minutes ago, Dale said:

Not a flame, but how can people who can’t afford Publix afford to live Uptown ?

If its affordable housing then most likely they would not want so much money to go into groceries. not that its uber expensive, its just not ideal for most peoples income that qualify for affordable housing. 

Edited by j-man