SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and 10Tryon Tower in 4th Ward

monsoon

I think the Tiny Teeter will stay put at least until they build a full size store within the loop uptown.  They don't give up and they certainly would not in light of Publix their chief rival in this market building  a store nearby.  They will double down and find a spot rumors over the years have been in 2nd ward and I am sure there are some other spots where they could do a full size store on the ground floor of some apartment tower or maybe even an office tower.  

• Like 3

So many delays for this project, so I'm ecstatic to see progress.   The Public and additional jobs will be significant for North Tryon and First and Fourth Wards.    Ellis population and this will both be very welcome for the area. 

While I'm more to Teet because it was the first uptown grocer, a lot has changed since 2003.   We need a full size grocer beyond the Whole Foods, although the pandemic has gotten me very used to just ordering groceries delivery, the Publix will be a major catalyst to those living in this part of uptown, and to support the new growth coming to NorthEnd.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 4:21 PM, KJHburg said:

I know we think about this new Publix serving only those within walking distance but I am betting a good number of people from the burgeoning North End area, Belmont, Optimist Park neighborhoods will use it too even if they drive.  Publix urban market stores all have some kind of free parking for customers.  

Or from uptown in general. My fiancé lives in Catalyst and he drives to Harris Teeter and Target.  

I am sure he would go to Publix every time over the uptown Teet. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This is big time! Hope this helps those empty lots between this project and the light rail get developed as well. There are some pretty large lots in that area behind Waterbean. Hopefully with the addition of more foot traffic it will improve that area. Those lots I was referring to between 10 Tryon and the light rail can be a little sketch at times. But N Tryon vision is a marathon not a sprint. This is the next big step after The Ellis. Looking forward to whoever makes the next big step. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but “finally” announcing a ground-breaking in Q2 of next year still leaves plenty of time for yet another “stop.”  Also, I just can’t imagine pitching the office space in this project given the proximal tent cities and the vagrant food giveaway lines that used to be a block or two over (are they still there?).  I suppose if an existing tenant in the area wants space, this project may work for that.  I’m not all that sanguine on this getting underway anytime soon.  

Why aren’t the tent cities an absolute crisis and the 24/7 obsession of city reps and local media?  Is it that we accept that maybe tent cities are a sign that we’ve entered the ranks of huge American cities, with a requisite de-humanizing wealth gap?  Are we simply multi-tasking, i.e. asking for a sales tax hike and still finding time and capacity to tackle a conspicuous homeless encampment problem at the same time?  Maybe the extra tax is what will resolve the tent city crisis?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1