monsoon

SkyHouse Charlotte, Publix and Hotel/Condo Tower in 4th Ward

33 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Welp, they just applied for building permits today.

If that’s the case they will probably mobilize on site by the end of December and maybe break ground by sometime in January.  Typically Permits are pulled within a few weeks of activity. 

• Like 4

I'm thrilled there will be additional street-side activation along this side of Tryon.  A grocer should go a long way toward making this area feel livable, and like a community.

• Like 4

With the Publix coming in...I could see many ppl skipping out on that 6th St Harris Teeter.  I'd love to see a mini Target or something similar take it's place..  Need more places to buy essentials other than Walgreens/CVS Uptown.  A mini target would do very well uptown.

This project is crucial though for this side of town and activating the streets a little better.  I hope it makes the area between the Skyhouses and First Ward park a little better with more foot traffic & street activation (lot of homeless ppl congregate between that stretch).  The Ellis will help as well.  Just need about 3 more Ellis' and a Charlotte Aquarium to anchor First Ward Park lol.

• Like 4

I think the Tiny Teeter will stay put at least until they build a full size store within the loop uptown.  They don't give up and they certainly would not in light of Publix their chief rival in this market building  a store nearby.  They will double down and find a spot rumors over the years have been in 2nd ward and I am sure there are some other spots where they could do a full size store on the ground floor of some apartment tower or maybe even an office tower.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I just closed on a townhome in Wesley Heights.  Would be nice to see a full-size urban grocer at West Trade and Graham, perhaps?  West end Harris Teeter?

funny I was thinking 3rd Ward myself or someplace on W Trade 

• Like 1

So many delays for this project, so I'm ecstatic to see progress.   The Public and additional jobs will be significant for North Tryon and First and Fourth Wards.    Ellis population and this will both be very welcome for the area. 

While I'm more to Teet because it was the first uptown grocer, a lot has changed since 2003.   We need a full size grocer beyond the Whole Foods, although the pandemic has gotten me very used to just ordering groceries delivery, the Publix will be a major catalyst to those living in this part of uptown, and to support the new growth coming to NorthEnd.

• Like 2

I'm happy to see ground broken in Uptown.  It's such a ghost town these days, I'd started to fear it might be headed for Depression, set to lag other zones of the city during any sort of COVID recovery.  

• Thanks 1

This is nice but is there any update on actual construction?? Like when will it break ground.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 4:21 PM, KJHburg said:

I know we think about this new Publix serving only those within walking distance but I am betting a good number of people from the burgeoning North End area, Belmont, Optimist Park neighborhoods will use it too even if they drive.  Publix urban market stores all have some kind of free parking for customers.  

Or from uptown in general. My fiancé lives in Catalyst and he drives to Harris Teeter and Target.  

I am sure he would go to Publix every time over the uptown Teet. 

• Like 4