Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bears

Walmarts effect on Memphis retail

7 posts in this topic

Recently, I had a discussion with a colleague (who is familiar with the Memphis area) about why retail in Memphis doesn't seem to do well. One of his points was the vast number of Walmarts and Sam's Clubs in the metro area. I did a search on Walmarts, Costcos, and Sams Clubs in the metro area and here's what I found out

19 Walmarts (Neighborhood groceries included)

2 Costcos

5 Sams Clubs

Is this too many for a metro of 1.2-1.4 million?

probably too many, but people in this area love wal marts, so i don't see the trend stopping.

Recently, I had a discussion with a colleague (who is familiar with the Memphis area) about why retail in Memphis doesn't seem to do well. One of his points was the vast number of Walmarts and Sam's Clubs in the metro area. I did a search on Walmarts, Costcos, and Sams Clubs in the metro area and here's what I found out

19 Walmarts (Neighborhood groceries included)

2 Costcos

5 Sams Clubs

Is this too many for a metro of 1.2-1.4 million?

ya i live in west lafayette/lafayette and we have 2 walmarts and a sams club.

as a college student though... thats where i am to get school supplies, food, and sometimes my alchohal for the parties :blush:. the only time i go to the tippecanoe mall is to get cloths or some gift for someone.

My hometown has 2 super Wal-Marts and Sam's -- and it's a metro of 120,000...

I read recently [might have been the CA] that Memphis is one of Walmart's better markets. Not sure why, but I remember the article claiming that "Walmart loves Memphis." It seems that Memphis has a relatively high number of Targets as well. Baton Rouge is a market roughly two-thirds the size of Memphis and until recently they had no Targets. I believe they have 2 now.

I read recently [might have been the CA] that Memphis is one of Walmart's better markets. Not sure why, but I remember the article claiming that "Walmart loves Memphis." It seems that Memphis has a relatively high number of Targets as well. Baton Rouge is a market roughly two-thirds the size of Memphis and until recently they had no Targets. I believe they have 2 now.