Brown's Jewlery District expansion

marc_ri

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For this city to grow, we need Brown and they need us. We will move past this annoyance. But Brown needs to step up and be a catalyst for growth. If they fail as the economic engine they should be for Providence, all they will do is deplete the city's tax base making economic growth harder.

This is incredible. Are there any plans or laws the city can impose on all non-profits to restrict their out-of-control growth? I had no idea they were seizing that much space when the addresses were listed. We have such a tremendous opportunity with the relo of 195 and I hope this area can really attract tax-paying entities to this city. This transaction, coupled with the Hemenway's tower purchase, is ridiculous. With the limited land in the city of Providence, it's conceivable that the expansion of non-profits can bankrupt this city. I'm sure that these places will generate some benefits as certain people may move to the city and service-type development will grow, but is it really enough to justify taking over 200K + of prime real estate? I don't think this area has any plans or concrete development ideas pending because people are waiting to see what happens with the new infrastructure from 195.

Archived