Lifestyle Centers

ATLBrain

Just a wild idea hit me as I watch game 3 with bases loaded and Ronnie Belliard at bat... Scanning this board, I see a small, but lively, debat going on the Hendersonville thread and it got me to thinking.

Would anybody be brazen enough (from UP) to go out and take some pics of the so-called new urban (aka new suburban) centers around Nashville and post some pics as a bit of a contest to see which one is the best in terms of whatever criteria (density, design, etc.)... I might actually learn something about this new suburban phenomenon. Maybe we could answer whether or not they really are better than traditional shopping centers. Hmmm?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They make me sick and may break my camera if I take pictures of them. I'll try to borrow a neighbors camera and have a barf bag handy if I got out and snap a few pics for ya. God knows Rutherford County will have plenty between here and Franklin and here and Mt. Juliet.

This was meant jokingly of course. I'll see what I can dig up in the way of motivation to take some pics of these "things". I will tell you that it will be a bunch of panoramas if you want the whole picture ATL. LOL!!! Seriously though, i'll see what I can do.

We must make a distinction here. There is a HUGE difference between TRUE new urbanism, and cheap development ("lifestyle centers" etc.) that adopt one or two minor new urbanism principals which are on the less expensive side, just so they can play dress up and pretend to be a 'new urban' development.

For example, the Indian Lake "Village" (I hate the names they give these places...there is no village anywhere in sight) would be the latter of the two, whereas, from all I can tell, the Hendersonville Town Center project looks like it will be a pretty decent example of quality responsible urban development.

If anyone wants any information on the real brand of New Urbanism...the original brand of new urbanism...go to the Congress on New Urbanism website at: http://www.cnu.org/.

I don't know if this is necessarily considered a "lifestyle center", but has anyone seen the construction for the new H.G. Hills center in green hills? I had no idea how much of an impact that was gonna have on the area, but the thing is huge! Most of the basic structure is up, and i think its gonna be a great presence in green hills. I think that the foot traffic this thing is gonna bring between it and the mall is really gonna bring some new development to the area....maybe in the next week or so I'll bring a camera out there.

We must make a distinction here. There is a HUGE difference between TRUE new urbanism, and cheap development ("lifestyle centers" etc.) that adopt one or two minor new urbanism principals which are on the less expensive side, just so they can play dress up and pretend to be a 'new urban' development.

For example, the Indian Lake "Village" (I hate the names they give these places...there is no village anywhere in sight) would be the latter of the two, whereas, from all I can tell, the Hendersonville Town Center project looks like it will be a pretty decent example of quality responsible urban development.

If anyone wants any information on the real brand of New Urbanism...the original brand of new urbanism...go to the Congress on New Urbanism website at: http://www.cnu.org/.

I would classify WestHaven as new suburbanism. It is a very beautiful development with these urban features:

-fairly rigid grid pattern of the streets. No winding spaggetti streets or cul-de-sacs (culs-de-sac).

-eventual mixed-use although I'm not sure how the retail is going to work. Will there be first floor retail with living units above or seperate retail centers withing the developmen a la McKay's Mill?

-The developer is trying to pursuade the city to build a public school within the development and are practically giving the land to the city. I think, strict design guidelines are one of the hurdles for making this happen.

-multi and single family units

On the other hand, the development is on the edge of the city limits so it hardly exists within the established urban context. Thus, all residents have to commute somewhere outside to work. Five minutes to downtown Franklin, fifteen minutes to Coolsprings, twenty to Maryland farms and half an hour or more to Nashville, approximately.

My two cents to keep the conversation going.

I would classify WestHaven as new suburbanism. It is a very beautiful development with these urban features:

-fairly rigid grid pattern of the streets. No winding spaggetti streets or cul-de-sacs (culs-de-sac).

-eventual mixed-use although I'm not sure how the retail is going to work. Will there be first floor retail with living units above or seperate retail centers withing the developmen a la McKay's Mill?

Yes, There will be a bit of both McKay's Mill big-block retail, ground floor retail with housing above and a pseudo-Main Street/ walkable Community center around the ten acre lake

-The developer is trying to pursuade the city to build a public school within the development and are practically giving the land to the city. I think, strict design guidelines are one of the hurdles for making this happen.

The Developer has donated the land, and they can design it, and they cover the cost of the design over what the regular cost is; however it is NOT a Westhaven-only school as Hunter's Bend in Fieldstone Farms was initially pitched, the Westhaven Elem. is in the district and kids from out of Westhaven can go there, and if they go over capacity Westhaven kids can be zoned elsewhere

-multi and single family units

The commute to other areas of Franklin will be faster when Mack Hatcher Pkwy extension is finished

Westhaven pitches itself as New Urbanism, so I think it counts as a N.U. development, and if any of you all have been there, it's one of the prettiest places I've ever been. That neighborhood is GORGOUS, and looks very established. With Southern Land Company (the developer of Westhaven) having the political clout (their employees serve on both the Planning Commision and Board of Mayor and Aldermen, I think the chronicly-empty trolleys may serve Westhaven when it becomes more finished.

Archived