Charlotte in 2026

The O's Next Big Thing is running an article about what the Chamber is predicting Charlotte to look like in 2026.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15839718.htm

There were a few interesting parts.

- A drawing of the some imaginery buildings and the Wachovia rendering. The other stuff in the drawing is nonsense but the Wachovia tower looks like the one posted on this site.

- A city population of 1 million

- A metro population of 4.2 million

- A center city (downtown) population of 100,000

- 4 times the office space we have now

- 6 more Fortune 500 HQs

I'm not really sure if downtown will ever get to a population of 100,000. But I can see more F500s, more office space, and a significantly higher metro population than we have now.

*How did I spell Charlotte wrong?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- A city population of 1 million

2% growth a year for 20 years? OK, no problem there. I think 1.2 to 1.5 million is quite possible, considering annexations and densification.

- A metro population of 4.2 million

Hmm, the old CSA/MSA debate again. Not going there!

- A center city (downtown) population of 100,000

No way. 50K I could believe.

- 4 times the office space we have now

- 6 more Fortune 500 HQs

Who knows. Depends on whether CMS, pollution, crime and taxation drive the large employers to the fringes as has happened in other large metros.

The stat that caught my eye was a whopping 1200 people move to the 11 county Charlotte area a week. According to my own calculations, that means about 171 people a day move to the Charlotte area. That is pretty crazy. I am glad that I will be a part of Charlotte's growth now and in the future.

I know that the Vue is out of the picture, but I would still like to see it with all the other buildings in the rendering.

Does anybody think that Charlotte can keep up the growth for 20 years?

that's one silly rendering... but fun... i guess. 210 trade looks alright and so does the new wachovia tower... however, it isn't in the right location on the block. of course, it would appear that we will not need streets in 2026 either.

dougie must be bored.

I am not sure how much stock I would put into this since they also show anti-gravity flying buses carrying people around downtown Charlotte. Seems like a bit of a stretch that science will have progessed this far in 20 years. Hell, they won't even be finished building the BRT to Matthews by then, and the NCDOT will still be building 485.

I am not sure how much stock I would put into this since they also show anti-gravity flying buses carrying people around downtown Charlotte. Seems like a bit of a stretch that science will have progessed this far in 20 years. Hell, they won't even be finished building the BRT to Matthews by then, and the NCDOT will still be building 485.

i believe the article stated that the artist does not expect the flying Jetson-like automobiles in 2026, and that he just put them there to somewhat symbolize that it is the future. The city numbers are quite interesting and very attainable.

I also find it hard to believe that roughly 1/3 of Mecklenburg's population will be 50+. Yes, we are aging as a population, but thats a little high I believe.

Also, to have 100,000 in the center city and only a million in the whole city seems a little wrong. I could see the city being around 1.25 million with about 50,000 in the center city (if we are talking about only the area within 277).

One of the silliest aspects of the picture is the artists' assumption that the Uptown 'Core' will remain densely packed with skyscrapers. If the growth of other downtown's is any indication, Charlotte is less than ten years away from seeing "mini-downtowns" begin to spring up on the outside of 277. In fact, if Charlotte really does see a doubling of the number of Fortune 500 companies it is home to, given the cost of downtown real estate, skyscrapers sprouting up around The Arlington, and South and West of B of A Stadium are almost a certainty.

I would not put too much stock in this. Chamber Prez Bob Morgan brought the Powerpoint to a Charlotte Biz Guild meeting two months ago. Lots of nice pictures and full of caveats. But hey, it's The Chamber of Commerce, they live and breathe good PR...its not called "chamber of commerce weather" for nothing :lol:

And most of the major buildings built since that photo was taken were constructed within ~10yrs of that photo (Interstate - 1990, Carillon - 1991, BofA - 1992, IJL and Transamerica - 1997, 3Wach - 1999, Odell - 2000, and Hearst 2002). That's almost double what's in the pic in a decade and a half. Not too shabby. And in 3-5 years, it's gonna make up some serious ground.

Archived