Charlotte in 2026

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The aging population is a serious challenge that most of us ignore since we will be young forever :D From a planning point of view, we're building the wrong product for a graying society. We need less 3000+ sf homes and more mixed use that includes a strong medical component. Auto-dependence is compounding the problem as geezers will be forced to drive to access critical services not available in single-use suburbs. And remember, many of us will be geezer-esque in 20 years. Unfortunately, not all of us will be able to afford Leisure World where geezer services are included in the rent. Plus, I don't want to be segregated into old-fogey communities. Did you know that about 20% of Japan's population is over 65? We're heading in that direction.

there are only 3 large buildings in that rendering that are not there today (im including the new wachovia as already there). when you think that this rendering does not include the vue or trademark, if we only have those three new buildings 20 yrs from now, i will be disappointed. btw, with charlotte having such a low center city vacancy rate, why are there no rumours of a spec office buidling being constructed (something along the lines of the nashville tower???)

The aging population is a serious challenge that most of us ignore since we will be young forever :D From a planning point of view, we're building the wrong product for a graying society. We need less 3000+ sf homes and more mixed use that includes a strong medical component. Auto-dependence is compounding the problem as geezers will be forced to drive to access critical services not available in single-use suburbs. And remember, many of us will be geezer-esque in 20 years. Unfortunately, not all of us will be able to afford Leisure World where geezer services are included in the rent. Plus, I don't want to be segregated into old-fogey communities. Did you know that about 20% of Japan's population is over 65? We're heading in that direction.

20 years is not that long when it comes to putting up a building. Here is a skyline photo that I took of downtown almost 20 years ago (I think this was 1988). Other than 1 First Union, the 1986 skyline would have not been any different. It really hasn't changed that much in 2 decades.

20 years is not that long when it comes to putting up a building. Here is a skyline photo that I took of downtown almost 20 years ago (I think this was 1988). Other than 1 First Union, the 1986 skyline would have not been any different. It really hasn't changed that much in 2 decades.

29bizxg.jpg

That is odd, they added the NC on your local affiliate, but left it off on the USAToday that circulates around the world. ;)

I agree with most of the report. I actually duplicated this on the Charlotte Statistic Thread since I thought that it pertained more to Population Growth than anything. (Mods might want to shift either my last post or these to consolidate into one thread).

As for agreeing with it, I do. The problems facing the US are how to build and to plan for explosive growth. I think the issues are huge, and what we do now,will forever affect the lives we live 5,10, 15, & 20+years out. Charlotte is just one Prime example. There are several others which I am glad the article pointed out. All in all it was a great article for generalizing the issue, and getting people to focus on Transportaion, and other concerns like Urban Sprawl that are destroying our coutrysides.

(plus I thought the Graphic was neat :) )

A2

About the USA Today article. If they can't even get today's facts correct, what is the likelyhood they are going to get close to anything correct that might happen in the future? I don't think I would put much stock in their predictions there will be less children in the future and as a result, there will be a fundamental way in which we live. They said the same thing 20 years ago when the babyboomers had finished having their kids, yet here we are today with school overcrowding and CMS begging for hundreds of millions to build even more schools.

Charlotte does have a "faster metabolism" than other cities I have lived in. When I think about them, it seemd like a major announcement might happen once a year. Maybe twice a year. A new library, a new employer, airport expansion, etc.

Charlotte gets so many announcements I'm not even sure how to quantify it. People here expect change and are more restless for it.

Archived