Bridgeport

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intresting article...It is quite true though. When you think about Bridgeport can be made right. It is in a perfect location which connects it very easily by car and train with New York City....even farther away New Haven benefits from NYC.

Intresting article...It is quite true though. When you think about Bridgeport can be made right. It is in a perfect location which connects it very easily by car and train with New York City....even farther away New Haven benefits from NYC.

The reason why it is affordable is because the tax rate is one of the highest in the country. A modest 3 ed, 2 bath colonial will sell for about $165,000 but taxes are almost $3000 a year, while in Danbury a property worth about $300,000 would have about the same tax bill.

• 3 months later...

Bridgeport has some good cultural things going on. Harbor Yard Arena has all kinds of events, from concerts to sports(hockey, baseball, basketball). The former Read's Department Store has been converted to live/work space for artists. Don't forget Beardsley zoo, captain's cove, and Barnum Museum.

The port has a sizeable West Indian population and they put on reggae/soca/calypso shows every weekend, often with international artists. They mostly go down at the Yellowbird Social Club, but there are other clubs in the area that have them as well. Plus the city is over 40% Latino so you can find everything from Spanish rock to Mexican to Colombian music on the weekends. Don't let me forget Brazilian, there are many restaurants and stores in the city that organize events. It was just a few months ago they had Ms Brazil Connecticut at a restaurant on Capital Avenue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bridgeport is the greatest, I'm just saying it isn't devoid of anything interesting.

The number one priorty for Bridgeport is attracting more employers and keeping the streets safe. I think once that happens everything else will fall into place.

Here is a site with some projects, I can't wait for them to finish the Arcade Hotel, that is going to be great for downtown:

www.bportliving.com

Bridgeport has some good cultural things going on. Harbor Yard Arena has all kinds of events, from concerts to sports(hockey, baseball, basketball). The former Read's Department Store has been converted to live/work space for artists. Don't forget Beardsley zoo, captain's cove, and Barnum Museum.

The port has a sizeable West Indian population and they put on reggae/soca/calypso shows every weekend, often with international artists. They mostly go down at the Yellowbird Social Club, but there are other clubs in the area that have them as well. Plus the city is over 40% Latino so you can find everything from Spanish rock to Mexican to Colombian music on the weekends. Don't let me forget Brazilian, there are many restaurants and stores in the city that organize events. It was just a few months ago they had Ms Brazil Connecticut at a restaurant on Capital Avenue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Bridgeport is the greatest, I'm just saying it isn't devoid of anything interesting.

The number one priorty for Bridgeport is attracting more employers and keeping the streets safe. I think once that happens everything else will fall into place.

Here is a site with some projects, I can't wait for them to finish the Arcade Hotel, that is going to be great for downtown:

www.bportliving.com

www.bportliving.com

Good post. I especially enjoyed the link. I have been in that area many times, but didn't notice all the attractions. BPT also has a sizable Italian population which gives the some good Italian restaurants.

I still think BPT lacks culture; in the order of The Wadsworth, Bushnell , Hartford stage, the Yale museums in New Haven and the like.

Sometimes I think BPT might have the most potential out of CT's three cities, it does have the wealthiest population and their suburbs makes Hartford look poor.

Trumbull, Easton, Fairfield are part of the Fairfield County suburban conglomerate, not of Bridgeport

Stratford and Milford are eerily similar, they are nearly self-sustaining suburbs.

Shelton is part of the Valley, more related to Derby than Bridgeport.

Bridgeport is really on it's own.

Check out this article about Phil Kuchma, one of BPT's developers.

His vision includes a downtown where arts and entertainment are of greatest value, where

arts organizations work together for profit and retail and restaurants are favored over chain stores. The casual onlooker strolling Bridgeport's downtown today may not recognize the many seeds Kuchma has planted that have begun to take hold: the neon Bijou sign outside the under-renovation theater and the new Italian restaurant, Caf

Check out this article about Phil Kuchma, one of BPT's developers.

His vision includes a downtown where arts and entertainment are of greatest value, where

arts organizations work together for profit and retail and restaurants are favored over chain stores. The casual onlooker strolling Bridgeport's downtown today may not recognize the many seeds Kuchma has planted that have begun to take hold: the neon Bijou sign outside the under-renovation theater and the new Italian restaurant, Caf

• 1 month later...

Archived