The River Market and Open Drinking

skirby

Open drinking in the River Market  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of open drinking on the streets in the River Market?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Central Arkansas Library is not opposed to it but they want written into the law who will be responsible for the clean up. The problem I see with it is what are the time limits on open drinking, if there are any. There are a number of school children in the district during the day. The city is also putting money into the river park to make it more kid friendly. Also, what are the area limits for the River Market? There are a number of homeless people that travel around the district. Does the city want them drinking in public?

Skirby's right. Bobby Roberts is concerned about policing and who will clean up. He stated in a newspaper article that the library's parking lot already has a lot of beer bottles on it and is concerned what would happen once this is put in place.

The River Market District should do what Beale Street does, close off the street in the evenings to vehicle traffic and let their be open drinking. I don't think their should be open drinking during the day because of the Museum of Discovery and the future Nature Center will and does draw several school children during the day on field trips.

The River Market District should do what Beale Street does, close off the street in the evenings to vehicle traffic and let their be open drinking. I don't think their should be open drinking during the day because of the Museum of Discovery and the future Nature Center will and does draw several school children during the day on field trips.

• 1 year later...
I agree with you 100%. Allow public drinking in the district from like 6pm until closing. I think that would be a pretty good compromise, and with the increase of foot traffic this will bring, more entertainment-type venues will arise also. The River Market District has so much potential and I hate to see it being held back.

I would suggest that closing the street - at any time - is formula for disaster. They tried that a year ago or so, and it was a complete failure. I realize this would be a preference for some, but public/street consumption and a lack of vehicular access would be a discouragement to our family at least.

I would suggest that closing the street - at any time - is formula for disaster. They tried that a year ago or so, and it was a complete failure. I realize this would be a preference for some, but public/street consumption and a lack of vehicular access would be a discouragement to our family at least.

But how often does your family go down to the River Market at 9 PM? I feel like the city is indeed trying to promote (as skirby said) a more family-friendly atmosphere in the RM, but I don't think they're losing sight of the original concept of the district as an entertainment district. And I entirely believe that both can occur in the same place, just one during the day and the other at night.

I don't think there should be open drinking at 11 in the morning, but I don't see how it will be a hinderance to the 'family atmosphere' if you let the open drinking happen at a late enough time, since families tend to go home early.

I understand. I just stated it isn't appealing to our family in the least - in fact, its a detriment. But hey, we're just 4 people out of 700,000! But yes, we're down there at 9:00 quite a bit, and were in fact Saturday evening at Gusano's (great pizza by the way!). Yes, I was dragged to the Hannah Montana concert sad to say!

Archived