Downtown's Big Problems

grock

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, those rules are anti-urban. Hartford needs street parking everywhere. It also makes pedestrians feel safer when streets are lined with cars.

HOWEVER, I'm downtown after 18:00 multiple times a week. And I haven't paid to park in about 5 years. There is ALWAYS street parking. Even on Saturday night. The people getting are getting raped by parking lot owners because they're too lazy to walk a block or two or don't realize street parking is free after 18:00. But, I do agree with more regulations on parking companies, to the point where I'd like to see privatized parking illegal, because it's ruining the city.

Also, I'd like to see motorcycle/scooter/compact car parking, lots of it. Give benefits to those who drive them, you can fit many more of those cars than freaking SUV's (which should be banned from parking on city streets).

The weekend days are dead if there is no event in town, because there really is no need to be walking anywhere downtown. Try a Saturday or Sunday afternoon UCONN game and you'll see tons of people walking around. Once more people move in downtown, sure there will be more footraffic. They are improving the walkability, with Trumbull and Asylum being redone. Once the Sage Allen construction is complete Main street will be better. Once stores open up at H21, Front Street and the Science Center there will be reasons to walk around.

I'm not talking about highway signs. I mean the kind like in Boston and New York and countless other cities where the name of the street is on a streetsign like kind of near the traffic lights going across. I think signs like those make it easier to navigate as a tourist and look better, especially if it gets them to replace traffic lights strung on ugly wires with more attractive metal poles and such.

Needs to grow? Hartford is losing population and so is the Hartford area for that matter. If we can't be a picturesque New England city, we CERTAINLY aren't going to become a growing concrete behemoth like Atlanta.

Work with what you have. Hartford needs this advice more than anything. New England cities have stopped growing, perhaps European cities which also have stopped growing but are still healthy are better examples for Hartford. The southern cowboy mentality will only continue destroying this city.

The weekend days are dead if there is no event in town, because there really is no need to be walking anywhere downtown. Try a Saturday or Sunday afternoon UCONN game and you'll see tons of people walking around. Once more people move in downtown, sure there will be more footraffic. They are improving the walkability, with Trumbull and Asylum being redone. Once the Sage Allen construction is complete Main street will be better. Once stores open up at H21, Front Street and the Science Center there will be reasons to walk around.

The Hartford area, whether catergorized as an MSA or CSA, is gaining population. Where do you get the idea that we are losing population?

As far as the city of Hartford, as far as we can tell, we are also making gains there as well. Thee is no evidence that Hartford is losing population. Of course we won't know for sure either way until the 2010 census.

Let's get something straight here. I've been downtown constantly since the late 90's. And there has not been any such "rise" in foot traffic. It's only gotten worse.

And this isn't to say it won't ever improve. But since the HCC closed down all the stores, foot traffic decreased terribly, and there hasn't been a noticeable increase. To be honest, downtown seems slower lately than it ever has.

SOCOM:

I'm glad Hartford is not losing population. I want Hartford - and Connecticut - to suceed. I would love to see East Hartford be the twin to Hartford, with another tower at Riverpoint. Those are nice Condos -- IIRC the Penthouse @ Riverpoint went for something like 750K.

JimS

Mikel:

And people driving 20 MPH in an SUV -- in Hartford -- is too FAST for you!! :)

JimS

JimSawhill, you are without a doubt the most annoying member of any forum I have ever visited. You post 8 times in a row instead of putting all of your ridiculous comments together in one and all you ever talk about is how proud you are to be a SUV-driving conservative and mock others. SHUT UP! Mikel might be delusional about Hartford but you are delusional about the world instead, which is far worse.

Really. So, 5 years ago we had 121k people, now we have 125k people. Maybe my math skills are off, but that's more, not less. I also see the Hartford area growing, not shrinking. Most towns in the area are growing well. Please, before you post, think of what you say...

I like the last one! ... anyway seriously, as long as we're talking about busses, maybe we should work work on getting the busses to run on time (or at all in some cases). Seriously, I don't know how this city functions with the buses always off-schedule.

Archived