Downtown's Big Problems

grock

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JimSawhill, you are without a doubt the most annoying member of any forum I have ever visited. You post 8 times in a row instead of putting all of your ridiculous comments together in one and all you ever talk about is how proud you are to be a SUV-driving conservative and mock others. SHUT UP! Mikel might be delusional about Hartford but you are delusional about the world instead, which is far worse.

It seems to me as someone who takes the bus frequently, the buses start on-time, but end up reaching downtown late because people take so long to get on, fumbling with change and dollar bills, and there's way too many stops. The whole system needs to be changed so there's fewer stops and people really shouldn't be allowed to pay on the bus, especially with paper money..

• 2 weeks later...
It seems to me as someone who takes the bus frequently, the buses start on-time, but end up reaching downtown late because people take so long to get on, fumbling with change and dollar bills, and there's way too many stops. The whole system needs to be changed so there's fewer stops and people really shouldn't be allowed to pay on the bus, especially with paper money..

How about implementing a card system like they do on the subways- put money on the card and use it instead of cash. There could be a financial incentive, like getting $12 of rides for $10. Usually the cards are good for more than a year so you don't have to worry about expiration dates. That would speed things up and be more convenient for riders. I'm against decreasing the number of stops, though, we're supposed to be making transit more convenient, not less.

How about implementing a card system like they do on the subways- put money on the card and use it instead of cash. There could be a financial incentive, like getting $12 of rides for $10. Usually the cards are good for more than a year so you don't have to worry about expiration dates. That would speed things up and be more convenient for riders. I'm against decreasing the number of stops, though, we're supposed to be making transit more convenient, not less.

I dont know how the passes for busses work in Hartford but if there was a system like a MetroCard in NYC where you buy a card for whatever amount of money and use it for a year thatd be great. You just swipe it when you get on the bus....these cards could also be purchased at machines around the city at businesses.

I wasn't aware that card system was in use in Hartford, I thought it was just the monthly pass.

Bus stops aren't on every block right now. I don't know what you're talking about. Sometimes they are 2 blocks apart, but usually 3 or 4. And unless someone is getting off or getting on, the bus doesn't stop. Also, isn't one point of public transit to give transportation access to the elderly and infirm? To satisfy everyone, maybe we also need an "express" bus that only stops at major intersections?

BAD news. Does anyone else have a problem with the Downtown Revitalization guy's response? "Do not walk through Bushnell Park after dark," isn't the right reaction. In fact, if more people were walking through the Park at the time, this would not have happened. We need MORE people to be walking through the park. Of course common sense is required too. People- especially females- should be using caution and not doing so alone. The shocking thing is the time of day. I hope they find this guy and make an example out of him.

I'm with the police's reaction on this one though. We should be emphasizing that Bushnell Park is generally a very safe place, not scaring people away....

BAD news. Does anyone else have a problem with the Downtown Revitalization guy's response? "Do not walk through Bushnell Park after dark," isn't the right reaction. In fact, if more people were walking through the Park at the time, this would not have happened. We need MORE people to be walking through the park. Of course common sense is required too. People- especially females- should be using caution and not doing so alone. The shocking thing is the time of day. I hope they find this guy and make an example out of him.

I'm with the police's reaction on this one though. We should be emphasizing that Bushnell Park is generally a very safe place, not scaring people away....

I don't have a problem with Allen Ambrose's response. I won't walk through the part after dark, what he wrote is just reality. There are a lot of people walking through Central Park in NYC, but I won't walk through Central Park after dark either.

I agree with GHartford. You should not feel afraid to walk through Bushnell Park at 4:30 PM. The article also said that the woman was sexually assaulted. I don't know that that qualifies as a rape.

Regardless, there is a lot of loitering on the Elm St. side of the park at night by shady characters. There should be a police presence after dark... especially with the YMCA right there. Many of downtown's nuisance crimes can be traced back to residents of the Y.

Speaking of horse patrols, whatever happened to Hartford's mounted police? I never see them anymore. Do they still exist?

It would be nice that we can feel safe at anytime walking through Bushnell Park. But is anyone here and now willing to walk through it after dark alone? What is nice and what is reality are not the same here.

I too initially questioned if sexually assaulted is the same as rape, but the headline said rape.

Archived