What do you think about the Baltimore-Washinton Maglev project.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although this technology has been used widely overseas, ODU in Norfolk has been trying to develop its maglev for years but little has happened as of now. The track has been built for some time now but they have had countless problems getting the train up and running smoothly. After millions of dollars of investment, they say it may happen. Only time will tell.

Sooner than later please. :thumbsup: I'm not saying its a panacea, but its damn near close. I wonder if they can design the maglev trains as double deckers. I wonder if there is any research done on that to increase capacity. Also, someone said earlier that Old Dominion University is working on a test track, which is great. However, I think part of the reason it is taking as long as it is to come to fruition is because the best technology so far is foreign (Siemens-Germany). So instead of paying a foreign company that has the most skill in creating it, the powers that be want to develop a domestic industry. I don't know if that is the greatest method to go about it, because that Transrapid technology is pretty smooth.

It died with Baltimore's Olympic hopes. SB508 forbids the State from spending any more money on it. It really wasn't viable anyhow. The ecomomic models forecasted that it would cost $30 each way just to cover the operating costs.

It was an interesting idea. The original concept was to expand it all the way from Boston to Charlotte.

Archived